1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Fake event to work around calendar issue.

Last Updated:

1. imaginegrl

imaginegrl New Member This Topic's Starter

I have a Samsung Moment with Android 1.5 and take full advantage of the Google Calendar sync.

Today I received a notification on my phone for a calendar event. The description read "Fake event to work around calendar issue."

I did not add this event to my Google Calendar on the phone. When I got home, I checked my online Google Calendar (before syncing w/my phone) and found no event to this effect.

Could an Android app I installed have added this event to the calendar on my phone? I haven't given any of the apps access to calendar data.

Advertisement
  2. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Yes, any app that is allowed to "read calendar data, write calendar data" could have created that calendar entry -- which to me (as a developer) definitely sounds like a work-around left over from debugging! :p Which app it was is probably impossible to tell, though.

A similar issue was reported recently; you might want to latch onto that one and see what happens to it. Are you also having calendar-syncing problems?

Are you quite sure you don't have any calendar-accessing apps? If you are, this stupid message comes from the Android OS itself! :eek: If you're really curious, you could download the Android source code and search for that message...

Also: Welcome to the forum! :D

imaginegrl likes this.
  3. imaginegrl

Thanks for your very helpful response, KlaymenDK. I verified that none of my Android apps have access to the calendar. I'm not having any syncing problems.

Unfortunately, I don't have Linux or Mac OS X, so I can't look at the source code. Though this gives me a good excuse to create a dual boot on my Windows 7 laptop.

I had found the report you mentioned. Guess I'll subscribe to the RSS feed on that page and see if anything happens.

Thanks again.

4. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

I wasn't really serious when I suggested you look at the code. :p It would just have confirmed whether or not that's where the message is from, although I must say it really sounds like it is.

5. imaginegrl

Hehh, that's funny. I was serious about looking at the code though :).