• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

False Advertisement

OK it might not be completely false Advertisement, But seriously how many of us would have went out and bought this phone Knowing that we would be stuck with 1.5 mid February 2010? in this link first few sentences out of there guys mouth, Samsung claims we will get the update (this is what sold me on this phone). But this is ridicules.... I had a G1 prior to B2 and I would have stayed with my G1 If I knew I would be using Android 1.5 till now. I

OK it might not be completely false Advertisement, But seriously how many of us would have went out and bought this phone Knowing that we would be stuck with 1.5 mid February 2010? in this link first few sentences out of there guys mouth, Samsung claims we will get the update (this is what sold me on this phone). But this is ridicules.... I had a G1 prior to B2 and I would have stayed with my G1 If I knew I would be using Android 1.5 till now. I

Upvote 0
If its so easy to load up a new version of the OS onto the phone, why don't you do it yourself? Its not easy, and thats why even guys that know what they are doing are having a hard time getting a new OS loaded. It's less than 6 weeks since the latest OS was released, name 3 phones that have been upgraded!

And you're little video research, I don't see any lies or false advertising or misinformation.

Upvote 0
I'd love to hear everyone's bugs, because I can't name one that I haven't found a workaround thanks to the helpful members of the forums. I'm going to explain some of my workarounds, so if everyone can put the hate aside for a minute and read, maybe you will appreciate how good of a phone you have.

Battery Life:
In the tips section, there is a tip to clear the battery data. I followed this tip and now my B2 lasts about 8 hours with heavy usage (music streaming, phone calls, tons of email & SMS, and app usage) This matches my friends Droid battery life.

SD Card:
I don't have a problem with mine. I have an 8 GB Sandisk. I suggest formatting your card and starting fresh, and if that still causes a problem, relace your card with one manufactured by a better company. Quality does matter with memory products.

The Video:
Since 1996 I have been on the pre order list for Duke Nukem Forever. Maybe this will be your lesson, that in technology things get pushed back, and 6 weeks isn't much time to develop a firmware. 2.1 came out about January 6, give them some time to work, so we don't have to hear from the haters how buggy it is. Would you rather have a solid 2.1 release in 2 months or a buggy version released now?

Google Apps:
OK, I only know of 2 apps that are not available, Navigation & Goggles. I've been using Waze (its free) for navigation since I don't like Google owning my location, plus the community aspect has won me over. And for Goggles, try using the Amazon app, it has the same functionality built in.

See how much you can learn when you don't spew hate.

Upvote 0
yes I have a few problems and I did everything right.
1)battery always says 95% after a full charge
2)wma song files dont play only mp3
3)random freezing and reboots every now and then
4)speakerphone doesnt work well at all during calls, sometimes not at all during the call
5) there are way more than just 2 apps not found in android 1.5 market
6)and a few others I cant remember! LOL!

You wanted to know HaHa

Upvote 0
Paul:

1) My car reads above full, even after driving for a while. I deal with it, and know to pay attention when it gets close to the bottom.

2)Have you tried any other music players? All of my music is mp3, and I use TuneWiki.

3)Even with a super stable OS on my blackberry, it would reboot. It's just a fact of smartphones that they reboot, mine about every 3 days or so. Also this is an issue when you allow 3rd party apps to run, memory leaks are inevitable.

4)Can't help you here, although I did wish it would get a bit louder. My FREE bluetooth headset works great!

5)Have you asked the developer of those apps to compile a version for 1.5? I've had great success emailing developers (obviously not google) and asking them to compile a version and push it to the market.

6)Thanks for being civil with your answers, it was much easier to give you my ideas. Hope they help!

Upvote 0
Paul:

1) My car reads above full, even after driving for a while. I deal with it, and know to pay attention when it gets close to the bottom.

2)Have you tried any other music players? All of my music is mp3, and I use TuneWiki.

3)Even with a super stable OS on my blackberry, it would reboot. It's just a fact of smartphones that they reboot, mine about every 3 days or so. Also this is an issue when you allow 3rd party apps to run, memory leaks are inevitable.

4)Can't help you here, although I did wish it would get a bit louder. My FREE bluetooth headset works great!

5)Have you asked the developer of those apps to compile a version for 1.5? I've had great success emailing developers (obviously not google) and asking them to compile a version and push it to the market.

6)Thanks for being civil with your answers, it was much easier to give you my ideas. Hope they help!

with number 1, it isnt an issue of not reading it right. It doesnt allow the full potential of our 1400mAh battery, instead it read a lower number like 1350mAh

Upvote 0
I'd love to hear everyone's bugs

Hi chad,

1. Rebooting, what is the work around for my phone rebooting twice a day for no reason

2. Stuck vibrating, what is the work around for my phone to start vibrating and not stop untill i pull out the battery and restart the phone IN THE MIDDLE OF A MEETING while everyone is staring at me.

Dont get me wrong i f'ing love my behold and am happy if we dont get 2.0 or anything else. I just want a patch for the bugs the make my life more difficult.

so chad what are my work arounds?

Upvote 0
Hi chad,

1. Rebooting, what is the work around for my phone rebooting twice a day for no reason

2. Stuck vibrating, what is the work around for my phone to start vibrating and not stop untill i pull out the battery and restart the phone IN THE MIDDLE OF A MEETING while everyone is staring at me.

Dont get me wrong i f'ing love my behold and am happy if we dont get 2.0 or anything else. I just want a patch for the bugs the make my life more difficult.

so chad what are my work arounds?

1. My guess is a bad program or widget, have you tried removing any apps (oem included) ? Or running a task killing app?

2. I had this problem until I freed up memory on my phone. You should remove any apps which you are not using, again including OEM apps to free up space.

In case you missed it, Samsung announced the first 2.1 upgrade in 2Q10, so you are just going to have to relax until then for any update.

I'd love to hear how a 3 month development time is too long....

Upvote 0

Most people seem to have issues with the incredibly poor implementation of 1.5, and that's the primary reason we are so eager for the upgrade. I don't understand the point of defending Samsung's incredibly shitty job on the software for this phone--they haven't released a single bug fix, let alone an OS upgrade. It is entirely justifiable for us to expect more from a high-end phone. This comment, and the other snark (i.e. "bitching" on another thread) is just not necessary. If you are all good--awesome for you. You're right that there's a lot of very helpful people on the forums, and they're a godsend, and you have some very useful tips as well. But responding to criticism of the phone with criticism of the person who is complaining is out of place. Thanks for all your useful input, but please try to help keep the forums civil, thanks.

Upvote 0
Most people seem to have issues with the incredibly poor implementation of 1.5, and that's the primary reason we are so eager for the upgrade. I don't understand the point of defending Samsung's incredibly shitty job on the software for this phone--they haven't released a single bug fix, let alone an OS upgrade. It is entirely justifiable for us to expect more from a high-end phone. This comment, and the other snark (i.e. "bitching" on another thread) is just not necessary. If you are all good--awesome for you. You're right that there's a lot of very helpful people on the forums, and they're a godsend, and you have some very useful tips as well. But responding to criticism of the phone with criticism of the person who is complaining is out of place. Thanks for all your useful input, but please try to help keep the forums civil, thanks.

Please tell me 2 things, how can Samsung have improved 1.5 (why do 30% of Android phones still run it?) when they didn't develop the software? And how fast would you expect software to be developed for any phone?

I don't mind complaints, even though civil questions go much further to solving problems. But 90% of the complaints are totally unwarranted on this board. 2.1 has been out about 6 weeks, how is Samsung supposed to have released an update that fast?

Upvote 0
Please tell me 2 things, how can Samsung have improved 1.5 (why do 30% of Android phones still run it?) when they didn't develop the software? And how fast would you expect software to be developed for any phone?

I don't mind complaints, even though civil questions go much further to solving problems. But 90% of the complaints are totally unwarranted on this board. 2.1 has been out about 6 weeks, how is Samsung supposed to have released an update that fast?

I'm not saying they should have improved 1.5, but that their modifications should not have actually made it worse--that's why I said "implementation," and why people are much happier with this phone when it's running stock 1.5/Galaxy. And I'm not saying anything about how fast I expect their 2.1 to be developed, never have, don't have the technical knowledge to guess. But Samsung could do a MUCH better job at PR/customer relations. And I may agree with you that many complaints are unwarranted, but if so I choose not to respond to them--just don't take it personal, that's all. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to do my part to keep things positive. Like I said, you have a lot of valuable input that I appreciate. Thanks for understanding.

Upvote 0
chadmd23
Why are you defending Samsung so much? Are you a stockholder, do you work for Samsung, or are you applying for a job there?
This forum is my way of venting my frustration with Samsung, and maybe get some others to do the same. Then maybe just maybe somehow this will trickle down to Samsung and these posts will expedite some things.
So don

Upvote 0
I have no interest in Samsung, I won the phone in their contest. I'm in the software development business and understand SDLC better than most people here and in my industry also.

Every day I hear people yelling at me because of "bugs" in the software. And every day I educate people to work arounds and how these "bugs" will be fixed in the next version. Guess what, lots of work goes into that next version, including coding, testing, QA testing, UAT testing, etc and this all takes time. (One of my vendors would tell me that new add-ons would have to sit in QA for 2 weeks, they ofter came out wrong, restarting the 2 week cycle.) Any reputable software company will take their time in developing to make sure new releases have as few problems as possible. This is evident in that no other company has ever released a 2.1 update for ANY phone.

Again, 2.1 has been out for only 6 weeks! And just today has the first Samsung update been announced for 2Q10. They know there are issues with the software, they don't look at this board, and decide that they should hurry up. It just doesn't work like that, no matter how much you complain, you end up only scaring off the knowledgeable people in the forum.

I will change my attitude towards Samsung if we do not receive any information as to an update by the end of 2Q10, since at that point they would have released updates for other phones.

Upvote 0
I have no interest in Samsung, I won the phone in their contest. I'm in the software development business and understand SDLC better than most people here and in my industry also.

Every day I hear people yelling at me because of "bugs" in the software. And every day I educate people to work arounds and how these "bugs" will be fixed in the next version. Guess what, lots of work goes into that next version, including coding, testing, QA testing, UAT testing, etc and this all takes time. (One of my vendors would tell me that new add-ons would have to sit in QA for 2 weeks, they ofter came out wrong, restarting the 2 week cycle.) Any reputable software company will take their time in developing to make sure new releases have as few problems as possible. This is evident in that no other company has ever released a 2.1 update for ANY phone.

Again, 2.1 has been out for only 6 weeks! And just today has the first Samsung update been announced for 2Q10. They know there are issues with the software, they don't look at this board, and decide that they should hurry up. It just doesn't work like that, no matter how much you complain, you end up only scaring off the knowledgeable people in the forum.

I will change my attitude towards Samsung if we do not receive any information as to an update by the end of 2Q10, since at that point they would have released updates for other phones.

Very good points--thank you for your input; it's much appreciated.

Upvote 0
1. My guess is a bad program or widget, have you tried removing any apps (oem included) ? Or running a task killing app?

2. I had this problem until I freed up memory on my phone. You should remove any apps which you are not using, again including OEM apps to free up space.

In case you missed it, Samsung announced the first 2.1 upgrade in 2Q10, so you are just going to have to relax until then for any update.

I did do a three day test with my phone a while back, its posted somewhere here.
I did the Volume down, call, power button reset thing and ran it plain ol stock. still got the reset and the vibrate thing, vibrate happened twice in those three days.

the phone has been out since novemeber i think? and no patch support at all.

the cliq is already on its second patch, i feel hurt and abandoned :(

Upvote 0
Although there might be some work arounds, I still expect some fixes or at least acknowledgment from someone and what the plan of attack will be to fix them with a time frame. Even if it only puts us on 1.6
If they don’t want to waste there time with 1.6 then they should make that public and say we are focusing on 2.XX or something….. and not just leave us in the dark. Your efforts would be more appreciated in posts where I and other people are looking for solutions to their problems with there phone. Not where I want to voice my frustration and then have someone like you take it personally. Is it worth your stress over what I say? Chill out, nobody is attacking you until you start with them (even in your other posts you attack others for having issues with their phones) just let people have an opinion and don’t get bent out of shape about it. Agree to disagree, and move on man….

Upvote 0
I feel like im one of the rare people who have not had a problem with their samsung behold and are completely happy with it.

well i havent had a problem except for the massive amounts of storage space that gets used from webbrowsing. it should auto delete cache on exit. =/

I saw a few apps in the market that delete caches, but haven't used any.

Upvote 0
Kf
I did do a three day test with my phone a while back, its posted somewhere here.
I did the Volume down, call, power button reset thing and ran it plain ol stock. still got the reset and the vibrate thing, vibrate happened twice in those three days.

the phone has been out since novemeber i think? and no patch support at all.

the cliq is already on its second patch, i feel hurt and abandoned :(

I have not experienced either of those problems at all. Other than being a litte laggy at time the only real problem I have has been the sd card problem. Got my phone replaced and a new sd card and problem gone.

You may just have a bad unit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones