False battery reading?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nicallen63, Jan 20, 2010.

1. nicallen63

nicallen63 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    myspace.com/soulswitchrocks
    Orlando, FL
    I have had the Droid since the day it was released and have had absolutely no problems with the battery up till now. I can still make it through a full day without having to charge it. But now it seems like something funny is going on. About a week or two back i had charged my phone over night(like i always do) a few hours later it alerted me that the battery was low and that i should plug it in(hadnt used my phone at all yet that day). I thought that was a little strange so i rebooted it, once it restarted i checked my battery and it was at 90%, i figured the phone just read the battery wrong for some reason and moved on. But today my phone randomly shut off and i had to do a battery pull to get it to come back on, i have read that the battery pull issue has happened to a few people so far so i didnt think much of it, but this combined with the false low battery reading makes me wonder if there is something wrong with my phone. Has anyone else had a false battery reading and if so did you need to replace you Droid?

Advertisement
  2. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Might be the chip in the battery. These batteries have chips in them that record the status of the battery. Sometimes, they lose calibration. It may not be a faulty phone, but a faulty battery.

BTW, nice Taylor in your pic :) Love Taylors.

3. nicallen63

nicallen63 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    myspace.com/soulswitchrocks
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks, maybe ill try a new battery.

P.S. I miss that guitar so much, wish i never got rid of it.

4. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    First I'm hearing of this. If no one can come up w/ anything here, I'd go to your VZW store and see what they say. They may just give you a new battery to see if that remedies the situation. Best of luck!

5. teschoen

teschoen Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    let the battery drain all the way and then give it a full charge. That sometimes recalibrates the charge meter.

Taylors are nice, but I'm stuck on Martin's for acoustics.. been thinking about trying a Parker. I love my fly mojo, wonder if their acoustics are as good as the electrics.

6. sooper_droid12

Nov 25, 2009
    Don't try a new battery yet. Do what the other poster said: Drain the battery to about the point that the phone is saying you should. I think I've gotten to about 15% without any ill effects. Do a couple of deep charges and see if it recalibrates the chip. If not, then maybe a new battery is in need. Since it's still under warranty, VZW may just even give you a fresh battery.

7. sooper_droid12

Nov 25, 2009
    +1 on battery.

-1 for acoustic guitar :D McPhersons are my favorite acoustic. Wish I had one, but I'll do with my Taylor (rosewood) :)

8. teschoen

teschoen Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Never played a McPherson, but I've read about 'em, look interesting.

9. xsylus

xsylus Member

Dec 15, 2009
    unemployeed
    Tucson
    I've had two false battery warnings since I got my Droid. The first time it was at 60% and I was using an app and it suddenly popped up with a warning saying the battery was at 5% so I plugged it in and it showed 60% and charging. At first I chalked it up to a glitch that may have been caused by the app I was using but just the other day I plugged my phone in and went to bed; the phone was at 90% charge so I figured the charge LED would go off after a short while. I woke up several hours later to see the charge LED still on and a red light on the right top corner. I turned the phone on and once again saw the 5% warning. That's when I knew I had a glitch, I mean the phone was plugged in and charging there's no reason for the battery to drain. I unplugged the charge cable and then plugged it back in and the battery went from 5% to fully charged. I might try that battery cycle idea but since the two occurrences were two weeks apart it will be difficult to troubleshoot this issue. It could be a glitch in the OS and maybe Android 2.1 will fix it.

10. rdalcanto

rdalcanto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    My phone just did the same thing today. I usually unplug around 6am, and plug back in at 11pm with 50% charge. Around noon today I suddently got the 5% left warning. I thought "that's strange!" I turned the phone off and back on, and the battery was reading 80%. Has been fine the last 8 hours. Strange....

11. HowardBerg

HowardBerg New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    "i had charged my phone over night(like i always do) a few hours later it alerted me that the battery was low and that i should plug it in(hadnt used my phone at all yet that day). I thought that was a little strange so i rebooted it, once it restarted i checked my battery and it was at 90%, i figured the phone just read the battery wrong for some reason and moved on." happened to me this morning. Hope they correct this.

12. JYo

JYo Active Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Same thing happened to me yesterday. Had a 70% charge, then down to a 5% charge in seconds. It's happened before, so I just shut phone down, turned back on and it was back to 70%. Very annoying. Hasn't happened in a few months... Figured it was something I had to live with. If anyone has an idea, i.e. phone/battery/sensor, to tell em at Verizon, I'd love a fix (other than dealing with it and turning phone off when it happens)

13. riekeant

riekeant New Member

Jun 27, 2010
    I've actually had a similar problem. About a week ago I was using Google navigation and Pandora at the same time while it was plugged in. The phone shut off all of a sudden. Then after I turned it back on it would charge normally. When I unplug it though the meter instantly drops to 5%. I've done a deep cycle drain and charge several times this last week to no avail. It will last all day at five percent.

I know its not the battery because I swapped with my wife's Droid. The battery works fine in her Droid, but I still have the problem with her battery. Very annoying having to guess my battery level.

14. Issaquah

Issaquah New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    I have had my Droid X since July and have had a problem with false readings since then. I plug my phone into my computer to charge over night. The next morning the phone will indicate only 70% charged. If I unplug it from the computer and replug it into the computer it will give me a 'charged' reading.