• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FAQ & How To Guide

I was debating whether or not this should be in the Tips and Tricks sub-forum, but I realized most of this stuff are neither tips nor tricks. Not only that, but newbies are more likely to ask questions in the wrong place than go all the way to to the Tips and Tricks sub-forum.

Table of Content:
FAQ: (QAF001)
App Questions (SQA0013)
Battery (YTB002)
Bugs/Issues (SIB003)
Build Quality (YQB018)
Flash/Media (AMF021)
Insurance/Warranty (YWI017)
Memory (YMM004)
Rooting (GTR005)
Where do I Get...? (IDW012)

How To: (OTH006)
Activation (NVA007)
Apps (SPA008)
Contacts and Data Transfers (TDC009)
Home Screen (NSH015)
Media (ADM020)
Messages (SGM010)
Reset (TSR014)
Tethering (GTT019)

Thread Updates (SUT011)

FAQ:(QAF001)

App Questions (SQA013)
How do I remove a pre-installed App?
You cannot, at least not yet. Root will be required to remove pre-installed apps.

How do I use [game emulator app] with the Droid Incredible if it doesn't have any physical keys?
The newer versions of game emulator apps include virtual buttons to simulate the controls. If you have an older version and are missing the virtual buttons, you should update your app.

What is the difference between an App and a Widget?
An App is an application that has to be executed to function.
A Widget is an application that is attached to your Home Screen and functions when your phone is turned on.

Why is [app] missing from the Droid Incredible's Android Market when it's available on the [other Android phone]'s Android Market?
Google needs to unlock certain parts of the Android Market for each phone that gets approved to Android Market entry. If it is currently missing now, check next month and it might appear. If not, you can always email Google regarding it.

Battery (YTB002)
Do any other phone batteries work with the Droid Incredible?
Yes, it has been confirmed that aside from the OEM Droid Incredible battery, the HTC Droid Eris' and HTC Touch Pro 2's battery will work with the Droid Incredible.

Do I need to fully charge the battery the first time I turn it on?
Yes, it is recommended that you do that to get an accurate gage as to how much battery you will use throughout the phone's lifetime.

Do I need to fully discharge the battery before recharging it?
No, these are not Ni-Cad batteries and do not exhibit what is known as the "memory effect." However, I do recommend fully discharging it and recharging it once every 2 months to accurately gage whether or not your battery is losing its charge and if so, whether or not you should look into purchasing a replacement battery.

How do I get better battery life?
There has been many ways to do this including:
* Breaking in the battery - When a new Li-Ion battery is first used, it doesn't reach its max capacity at times. Also phone usage is usually much more heavy during the first few weeks of use with your new phone which tends to take a toll on the battery.

* Lower the screen brightness - Brighter screens use more power.

* Turn off Haptic Feedback/Vibrate - Using the motor for the vibrations requires more power.

* Turn off Live wallpaper - Live wallpapers are nice to look at, but requires more power to operate.

* Turn off Bluetooth/GPS/Wi-fi - When you're not using it, turn it off to conserve battery.

* Turn off Always Mobile On - You may experience a slight drop in service of some applications--only the ones which requires constant syncing to be up-to-date on the Home Screen, but it will conserve battery.

*Buy a Extended Life battery - A high capacity slim or larger capacity battery will provide more juice.

There is a thread devoted to providing tips and tricks to get more out of your battery here: http://androidforums.com/tips-trick...e-official-htc-incredible-battery-thread.html

Why does my Li-Ion battery lose charge over time?
As stated before the "memory effect" does not apply to Li-Ion batteries, however, Li-Ion batteries are prone to damage over time from heat--which is why notebook PC batteries are notorious for dying so frequently. Do not keep your battery in heated areas if possible.

Bugs/Issues (SIB003)
Does the Droid Incredible have the same touch screen issue exhibited by the Google Nexus One and HTC Desire?
No, The HTC Droid Incredible and HTC EVO 4G uses a different touch screen sensor (the maXTouch) than the Google Nexus One and HTC Desire (Clearpad2000) which solves the touch screen issues exhibited by the previous mentioned phones.

What are the known issues associated with the Droid Incredible?
Here are some of the issues that have come up since launch:
*The HTC logo flakes/peels off. - This issue is uncommon when the adhesive doesn't stick on well with the soft cover. There is no real fix; I do not advise trying to glue it back on.

* The phone cannot connect to a hidden wi-fi network. - This is a common issue with all Android 2.1 and lower devices. For some reason Google did not think about connecting to hidden wi-fi networks; hopefully it will be resolved with Android 2.2.

* The phone's AMOLED screen is hard to view in direct sunlight even with brightness turned up 100%. - This issue occurs with all current-gen AMOLED devices. You can alleviate the issue somewhat by using an anti-glare screen protector.

*The phone's signal strength is lower compared to [similar Android device]. - This is a fairly common issue, but it does not mean your signal strength is bad; it is just being misrepresented. Everyone seems to be able to make phone calls and send text messages with 0 bars.

* The phone is unable to connect to Verizon's 3G Data Network (but Voice, Text, and Wifi still works) - This is a rare issue and if a factory reset does not solve it; you will have to get a replacement units.

* The phone's music app is unable to locate music files from the phone's internal memory or microSD card. - This is a rare issue and if a factory reset does not solve it; you will have to get a replacement unit.

There is a thread for reporting, gathering, and organizing these issues here: http://androidforums.com/htc-incred...known-issues-bug-reports-hardware-issues.html

Build Quality (YQB018)
Is the back as flimsy as some people have led me to believe?
The back is plastic with a soft coating on the back. It may feel flimsy when taken apart from the phone's body, but fairy sturdy when secured onto the phone properly.

What is this whole thing about Gorilla Glass? What is it and does the Droid Incredible have it?
Gorilla Glass is actually an Opaque Aluminum-Silicone Base. It is impervious to the very real threats of key scratching and localized pressure. Gorilla Glass is an unscratchable, unshatterable material used as a protective window for your mobile phone.

Does this mean that is is impossible to break the screen? Absolutely not, unshatterable only means that when the glass breaks it will not fall apart into many sharp shards and injure the user.

And yes, the Droid Incredible does have Gorilla Glass--however that does not mean the AMOLED screen underneath it is as impervious as the outer screen.

Source

Flash/Media (AMF021)
Does the Droid Incredible Flash?
Yes and No. Yes, it supports Flash Lite which is a mobile version of Flash with limited capabilities which can cause Flash content not to work as intended (slow to load or animate for instance). Rumors say that the Droid Incredible and its brothers and cousins will have full Flash support before the end of the year (2010).

How come [Flash-based website] does not work?
Well first you'll have to keep in mind that the Droid Incredible currently supports Flash Lite, not full Flash. Second, believe it or not but many sites that do not work at all (like Hulu) set their website up to deny mobile access to their website whether to protect their advertising partners or to protect the integrity of their website or service.

Insurance/Warranty
(YWI017)
What are my insurance/warranty options?
Well first, you have a 30-day return policy with Verizon.
Second, you have a 12-month limited warranty with Personal Communications devices, LLC. (PCD) PCD (The Company) warrants to the original retail purchaser of this handheld portable cellular telephone, that should this product of any part thereof during normal consumer usage and conditions, be proven defective in material or workmenship that results in product failure within the first twelve month period from the date of purchase, such as defect(s) will be repaired or replaced (with new or rebuilt parts) at the Company's option, without charge for parts or labor directly related to the defect(s).
Now with that in mind, you have 4 options:
1. Verizon Extended Warranty which covers 2 years, but it actually covers just 1 because the first 12 months is actually covered by PCD. This is $1.99/month. ($47.76 total in 24-months)
2. Asurion insurance with Verizon covers 2 years. This is $6.00/month. ($144 total in 24-months)
3. Verizon Total Protection Plan which is a combination of both the Extended Warranty and Asurion insurance. This is $7.99/month. ($191.76 in 24-months)
4. SquareTrade insurance which covers 2 years. You pay a lump fee of $144 for 24-months (cheaper with coupon which happens to float about once a month).

What does each insurance plan consist of?
Remember that the first 12-months of defects has to be handled through the original manufacturer warranty no matter what.
1. The Verizon Extended Warranty is just that. It is a 12-month extension of the original manufacturer warranty--but you will still pay for the full 24-months.
2. The Asurion insurance covers accidental damage including lost or stolen phones. There is a $89 deductible per claim and only 2 claims per 12-month period.
3. The Total Protection coverage is both the Extended Warranty and Asurion insurance. The $89 deductible applies as well as the 2 claims per 12-month period limitation.
4. The SquareTrade insurace covers accidental damage, but not lost or stolen phones. There is a $50 deductible per claim. There is no deductible for claims for menial issues like a battery replacement.

Which insurance/warranty should I get?
Well that depends on what you expect out of it. If you worry about or have experienced the following:
1. If you just had bad luck with phones and they just seem like they suddenly die or experience problems all the time. - Get the Verizon Extended Warranty.
2. Number 1 + You break things, whether or not it's a phone; if you can hold it, you can break it. - Get the SquareTrade insurance.
3. Number 1 + 2 + You lose things or fear losing things. Live in a bad neighborhood with high crime rates, have been burglarized or had stuff stolen. - Get the Asurion insurance.
4. Just wants the whole "Don't worry about anything 24-months down the line" line of thinking. - Get the Total Protection coverage.

Should I get insurance?
Well, do you break things? Do you worry about breaking things? Do you like having the reassurance that your expensive piece of equipment will be taken care of if anything bad were to happen to it? If you answered yes, then you should get insurance.

Memory (YMM004)
Can the 8GB internal memory be used for apps?
No, not currently.

Can I use a miniSD or standard SD card with the Droid Incredible?
No, the size is too large to fit into the microSD slot.

My microSD card doesn't work, what's wrong?
First, be sure that you did not buy a fake card. Fake cards usually do not work that well and can be corrupted easily.
Second, be sure that the microSD card is securely inserted into the phone, it clicks into place when you push it in.
Third, if your phone still does not recognize the card, try reformatting it on the PC first. (You may need an SD or USB card converter to insert it into your PC)

What is the highest capacity card that can be used with the phone?
The highest capacity seems to be 16GB; some Android devices have an issue with formatting 32GB microSD cards.

Rooting (GTR005)
[FONT=&quot]Can "rooting" ruin my device?
Yes, an unsuccessful root can turn your device into a brick. There are, however, many precautions built into the software--usually--for making simple mistakes like attempting to root on low battery.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Does "rooting" void my warranty?
Yes, rooting your device will void your warranty, however, some people have reported successfully repairing their devices via manufacturer warranty for a fee.

Has the Droid Incredible been fully "rooted" yet?
I do not think I have the time to constantly update this FAQ regarding to this, but I can show you a thread that has up-to-date information about it here.

Is there a way to undo "root?"
Yes, there is a way to do so; but the difficulty in doing so varies from device to device. For some devices, it's as simple as running a file that was added when you "rooted" the device. For others, you'll have to go through a lot more steps to return it to its factory fresh settings.

What does "bricking" mean?
Basically when one takes it upon himself to "hack" his device by loading unsupported ROM into a device that was not intended to be used with that purpose, you run the risk of "bricking." If anything goes wrong while you attempt to root your device (power outage, a bad image, a glitch, a bug, act of God) your ROM may be corrupted to a point where it is no longer possibly to even boot the device correctly. Thus, you have a brick (a device that has no function other than used to throw at others, used as a paperweight, or used [with enough of them together] to build a wall or building).

What does "rooting" do?
To root your phone basically means to gain access to your phone's "root" account. The "root" account exists as a master-of-all account (like in Linux or like the Administrator account--to an extent--in Windows). When this is achieved, the user is able to have truly "complete" access to their phones and load custom ROMs and enable features not normally included on the stock ROM.

You can find more information about rooting here.

Where Do I Get...? (IDW012)
Where do I get a Google Voice invite?
Please do not post requests everywhere on the forums because it just creates clutter. There is a dedicated thread for this purpose where members with invites look to give out their invites here: http://androidforums.com/lounge/21249-google-voice-wave-invites-requests.html

Where do I get a Google Wave invite?
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Please do not post requests everywhere on the forums because it just creates clutter. There is a dedicated thread for this purpose where members with invites look to give out their invites here: http://androidforums.com/lounge/21249-google-voice-wave-invites-requests.html
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Where do I get [app]?
Unfortunately, some apps are copyrighted and thus is it prohibited to post these apps here. Most apps can be found on the Android Market or at Android App websites such as SlideMe.

Where do I get help with [issue]?
There are various places to get help; first, try checking the Tips and Tricks sub-forum and this thread; second, you can go to the ##DroidIncredible (freenode Web IRC (qwebirc)) and ask the question for an on-the-fly answer; or third, you can post it here.

Where do I get ring tones for my phone?
You can get them one of two ways: through an app or through a website.
Two apps that seems to get a lot of praise is: Mabilo and Zedge.
A website I can recommend to get ring tones is: PhoneZoo.

Where do I get [ROM (game)] for this emulator app?
Unfortunately we are not allowed to post ROM (game) sources here. I recommend using Google for your search.

Where do I get wallpapers for my phone?
Our members have created many unofficial wallpapers for the Droid Incredible; you can find them here: http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/63247-unofficial-incredible-wallpaper-thread.html
[/FONT]

How to: (OTH006)

Activation (NVA007)
How to activate your new phone:
NOTE: Be sure to back up your contacts and such before proceeding.
1. Dial * 2 2 8
2. Press 1.
3. Wait until your phone is programmed. (You may be required to input some information such as your account password and order number)

Apps (SPA008)
How to activate another keyboard (such as Swype):
1. Tap on Menu (from the Home Screen)
2. Tap on Settings
3. Tap on Language & keyboard.
4. Check your keyboard app (such as Swype)
5. Open any app with a text input area.
6. Hold down on the text input area.
7. Tap Input method.
8. Tap on your keyboard app.

How to install non-Market apps:
1. Tap on Menu (from the Home Screen)
2. Tap on Settings
3. Tap on Applications
4. Check Unknown sources
5. Confirm the selection.
6. Connect your phone to the PC.
7. Transfer the .apk files you want to install onto your microSD card.
8. Open a file manager program (such as Astro File Manager)
9. Tap on the .apk file.
10. Install the app.

How to turn off VZW Backup Assistant:
Unfortunately, there is only one way to remove VZW Backup Assistant at the moment; a hard reset.

How to import your Verizon contacts to Gmail:

1. Login to My Verizon
2. Hover over My Services and click on Contacts.
3. Click Select All (located under Sort By).
4. Click the Tools icon (the little gear under Sort By).
5. Click Export Contacts.
6. Click Save to CSV (Outlook) to wherever you want.

7. Login to Gmail.
8. Click on Contacts
9. Click on Import (it will be on the right side of the screen).
10. Click on Browse and choose your CSV file (default name "contact.csv).
11. Google will do the rest for you and merge identical entries.
12. Edit, organize, do whatever to your contacts to fit your needs.

How to import your contacts from your old Android phone to the new Android phone:
1. Sign into your Google account on your new Android phone and it automatically imports your contacts for you.

Home Screen (NSH015)
How to add a widget:
1. Hold down on an empty space on the Home Screen.
2. Tap Widget.
3. Choose your desired Widget.

How to change your wallpaper:
1. Tap Menu (from the Home Screen).
2. Tap Wallpaper.
3. Choose your desired wallpaper.

How to disable the Unlock Screen:
There is no way to do it through the system, however there is an app:
1. Download ScreenModeWidget
2. Hold down an empty space on the Home Screen and apply ScreenModeWidget.
3. Tap on the widget until it says Awake Stay.
Now the screen swill sleep and you will have to wake it via pressing down on the Power button, but it will bypass the Unlock screen so you do not have to "unlock" the phone twice.

Media (ADM020)
Converting your movies to work with your phone is relatively easy with HandBrake using these settings:
Container: MP4

[Picture]
Width: 800
Keep Aspect Ratio: Checked
Anamorphic: None
Cropping: Automatic

[Video Filters]
All off all unchecked

[Video]
Video Codec: H.264 (x264)
Framerate (FPS): same as source
2-Pass Encoding: unchecked

Avg Bitrate (kbps): 1500 (may change this on next encode)

[Audio]
Source: Select your language
Audio Codec: AAC (faac)
Mixdown: Automatic
Samplerate: Auto
Bitrate: 160
DRC: 0

All the rest of the tabs default.

You can thank s34n1811 for his guide here.

Messages (SGM010)
How to turn on message delivered verifications:
This feature basically allows you to confirm whether or not your message was successfully delivered and it is turned off by default:
1. Go to Messages
2. Go to Menu
3. Go to Settings
4. Turn on Delivery reports (there is also a second option for this under MMS separately).

Reset (TSR014)
How to perform a factory reset on your phone:
1. Tap Menu (from the Home Screen)
2. Tap Settings
3. Tap Privacy
4. Tap Factory Data Reset
5. Confirm your selection.

Tethering (GTT019)
You can tether one of three ways:
1. You can purchase the tethering plan which ranges from $15-$25 more a month depending on what data plan you're on and use the native application on the Droid Incredible. This method is relatively easy as you just need to plug in your Droid Incredible to your PC and tap on Share Internet Connection.

2. You can download or purchase an app like EasyTether or PDAnet which requires your PC to have certain software installed in order to work. Using this method, you just need to run the App, have the software loaded onto the PC, and connect the phone to the PC.

3. The third method is a little sketchy. It involves tricking the VZN into letting you use their native tethering without having to pay for it--that's the sketchy part.
1) Dial ##778, SEND
2) EPST dialog comes up. Select 'Edit Mode'. Enter SPC (000000), hit OK.
3) Scroll to down to 'Security', select it. Change 'S.IP DUN User name' to yourvzwnumber@vzw3g.com (from yourvzwnumber@dun.vzw3g.com)
4) Hit back arrow to go back and go/select 'M.IP Default Profile'. Change 'DUN NAI' to yourvzwnumber@vzw3g.com (from yourvzwnumber@dun.vzw3g.com)
5) Hit menu button, and 'Commit Modifications', phone will save changes and reboot.

Modem drivers can be found on VZAccess Manager for Windows XP/Vista/7 -- the VZAccess executable will install the drivers when it first runs before launching its installshield runtime. No need to continue and install the actual software. *nix people can use their built in PPP dialers once they set up the right USB connection parameters to detect the phone as a modem.

You can thank vacaloca for this guide here.

Thread Updates (SUT011)

5/15/2010 - Version 1.021 released:
* Updated App Questions section in the FAQ.

5/07/2010 - Version 1.02 released:
* Added "Build Quality" and "Flash/Media" sections to the FAQ.
* Added "Media" and "Tethering" sections to How To.
* Updated "Rooting" section in the FAQ.

5/05/2010 - Version 1.01 released:
* Added "Insurance/Warranty" section to the FAQ.
* Updated "Where Do I Get..." section in the FAQ.

5/01/2010 - Version 1.1 released:
* Slug moved and stickied this thread on the Support and Troubleshooting sub-forum.
* Added various FAQs.
* Added various How To guides.
* Revised "How to turn off VZW Backup Assistant."

4/30/2010 – Version 1.0 released.

Special Thanks (STS016)
Special thanks to Anonimac, CaptJager, iBowToAndroid, Incrediboyz, Matt999000, MrSmoofy, Slug, ShortBus, Steven58, TrentRezor, Twiz, and many more that I'm probably forgetting. (A work in progress)

Upvote 0
Hi, newbie here. First of all, thanks for the FAQ, which answered several of my questions. However, these instructions are puzzling me:
How to disable VZW Backup Assistant:
1. Tap Menu (from the Home Screen).
2. Tap Settings.
3. Tap Accounts & Sync.
4. Uncheck Backup Assistant.
On my phone there is no checkbox next to any of the sync accounts, so I do not see how it is possible to uncheck Backup Assistant. Touching the screen anywhere on the Backup Assistant row simply brings up the settings screen for BA sync, where again there is no option to disable. Could you verify/clarify these instructions?

Upvote 0
* The phone's music app is unable to locate music files from the phone's internal memory or microSD card. - This is a rare issue and if a factory reset does not solve it; you will have to get a replacement unit.

I found something out regarding this. On the root directory on the internal storage I had a file called ".nomedia" that I deleted. As soon as I deleted it, all of the MP3's I put on the internal were visible (and playable) in the stock media player.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones