• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [FAQ]ROOT MEMORY: a2sd+ / partitions (updated 10th August 2011)

SUroot

Extreme Android User
May 25, 2010
Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
WARNING: Rooting (and related processes) can be dangerous if you do not understand the concepts, risks and procedures involved.

Although we are often at hand to help, you will receive much better help if you have read the FAQ's and guides several times before undertaking the task of rooting. Not only will you understand the possible causes and fixes for issues you encounter, it will also help you to give US the information we need to help YOU!

[aname=

Upvote 0
This is exactly what I am looking for, excellent post.

So I want to do this, but I am not sure if I have a "rom which has support for a2sd+". Not being able to wait for Telus to push out froyo, I followed the instructions in this post: http://androidforums.com/1815202-post94.html to create a gold card and installed the Froyo HTC ROM from this post (http://androidforums.com/1370008-post1.html) (link to the actual ROM is Shipped ROMs)

Now I'm guessing that this HTC ROM doesn't have support for Apps2SD+ ?

In other words, is there any chance of me using Apps2SD+ without unbranding my Telus desire? Wouldn't a custom ROM unbrand?

Upvote 0
This is exactly what I am looking for, excellent post.

So I want to do this, but I am not sure if I have a "rom which has support for a2sd+". Not being able to wait for Telus to push out froyo, I followed the instructions in this post: http://androidforums.com/1815202-post94.html to create a gold card and installed the Froyo HTC ROM from this post (http://androidforums.com/1370008-post1.html) (link to the actual ROM is Shipped ROMs)

Now I'm guessing that this HTC ROM doesn't have support for Apps2SD+ ?

In other words, is there any chance of me using Apps2SD+ without unbranding my Telus desire? Wouldn't a custom ROM unbrand?

If you already installed the stock HTC RUU then yer technically unbranded already. I had the same thing as you but I took a rooted stock froyo rom from here and installed extra mods as necessary. Custom roms will unbrand as well.

[ROM] [15/11] Pre-rooted Stock Froyo (2.10.405.2) [Optional mods] - xda-developers

Upvote 0
If you already installed the stock HTC RUU then yer technically unbranded already. I had the same thing as you but I took a rooted stock froyo rom from here and installed extra mods as necessary. Custom roms will unbrand as well.

[ROM] [15/11] Pre-rooted Stock Froyo (2.10.405.2) [Optional mods] - xda-developers

Hmm.. I don't think I am unbranded. The lock screen has Telus on the slider, and the notifications bar has Telus on it. I don't think I am unbranded, but I did install that RUU mentioned above.

I want to do this (Apps2SD+) soo bad, but I want to at least remain branded so that if I happen to bring it back to Telus, they won't be able to (easily) discover a rooted / unbranded ROM.

Upvote 0
If you installed an ruu, you're not rooted unless you rooted since?

There were methods to install a2sd+ pon stock roms but I found them unreliable.

You should install a custom Rom. There is a TELUS ruu. You just need to install this like the one you installed before to return to stock if you ever need to.

They can easily tell if you're umbranded by the numbers I'm the software build number.

They'll also tell if you're rooted. May as well go the whole hog and get a faster,pre battery efficient super Rom

Upvote 0
Hmm.. I don't think I am unbranded. The lock screen has Telus on the slider, and the notifications bar has Telus on it. I don't think I am unbranded, but I did install that RUU mentioned above.

I want to do this (Apps2SD+) soo bad, but I want to at least remain branded so that if I happen to bring it back to Telus, they won't be able to (easily) discover a rooted / unbranded ROM.

Well, I still have the Telus branding on the phone as well after I installed everything that I just quoted above. Does that make me still branded? Probably not.

And I agree with dan there. If you're already mucking around with the idea of rooting to get A2SD+ it's going to change quite a few things with the phone already which will be easily detected. Just take the plunge like me, I haven't regretted anything I did if it makes you feel any better. Just be a little more careful not to drop your phone and buy accessories to protect it :D

Oh and make sure you read a ton before you start because if you're unclear on anything it could be nerve racking at times. ;)

Upvote 0
Hi,
I just bought an unbranded Desire running 2.1-update1 and I rooted it using unrevoked3 n also downloaded ROM manager and partitioned my SD card as instructed. I am currently thinking of flashing this custom ROM. I also want A2SD+. But I really don't know how to perform a clean wipe as mentioned. Can anyone help me out? I'm a newbie (previous phone was an N95!) :) And will clean out all my settings and apps? Sorry..but I really need some help on this!

Upvote 0
How do I make it work?

Once you have rooted, you will need to make a partition on your SD card in EXT format. 512MB is about right. Swap should = 0. You will then need to flash the custom ROM of choice.

Any risk in going larger than 512MB? Many of the newer phones come with 1GB of internal storage. Can we increase to that?

danfrance said:
OK, I used "Move to SD" but I haven't saved any space?

Silly! I told you earlier you don't need to move anything. The script automatically does what you need. Move it back to internal memory.

Also, what exactly is to be done with the apps already installed to the SD card? After doing all of the above, are we supposed to move all apps back to the phone, and let Apps2SD+ do its thing?

In other words, we never will select "move to sd card" any more, and only install apps onto the new "internal storage"? What if we hit the 512MB limit and want to continue installing to the SD card? What happens then?

danfrance said:
Anoniemouse did rigorous testing with formatting goldcards and came to the conclusion that once a goldcard, always a goldcard.

http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/121710-formatted-goldcard.html

So we know creating a gold card, then formatting / wiping it remains a gold card. What about the inverse? What about taking an existing SD card and making it into a gold card. Is everything wiped in the process?

Upvote 0
1) no risk, no point.

The internal memory still gets used for app cache. It will fill up too, possibly not letting you go beyond 512 by much anyway.

You could repartition your internal space to give more internal memory but this is for advanced modifiers only. See how you get on first and revisit this idea if needs be.

Formatting to 1GB on advance can'thurt, you just won't be able to use it all yet

2)move them back

3) no idea. I advise backing io content before doing this anyway

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones