[FAQ]ROOT MEMORY: a2sd+ / partitions (updated 10th August 2011)

1. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

WARNING: Rooting (and related processes) can be dangerous if you do not understand the concepts, risks and procedures involved.

Although we are often at hand to help, you will receive much better help if you have read the FAQ's and guides several times before undertaking the task of rooting. Not only will you understand the possible causes and fixes for issues you encounter, it will also help you to give US the information we need to help YOU!

[aname=

Advertisement
    :
    alexrid3r, middle_road, hcms and 67 others like this.
  2. turbohobbit

turbohobbit Well-Known Member

3. SUroot

You wont get OTA updates. That said the next update is gingerbread and we dont know that the desire is getting that anyway.

If we dont get it no problem. If we do, you will probably get it sooner if you're rooted in the form of a custom rom.
  4. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

The choice of custom ROMS based on whatever flavour Android is around at the time is a big advantage for rooted phones, and they'll be available far sooner than OTA updates. I almost cry when I think about the long wait for the branded 2.2 update, won't have to worry about doing that again! ;)
  5. dinaro

dinaro Well-Known Member

good job on explaining A2SD+ this would have helped me alot before I rooted and applied all those mods :)
  6. Declan Carey

Declan Carey Active Member

Have already flashed a Vanilla Froyo and have installed loads of apps and customisations. Anyway I can put Apps2SD on now without losing my current settings etc?

Using Defrost 6.0e
  7. SUroot

Yes, you can do the partition. You MAY need to reflash the Rom. This won't lose any data though. The rom only over writes the system partition. Not the data partition.

That said, i asked a defrost user to test this without flashing the Rom and it did work

Basically steps 1-4 in the mini guide above should work fine
  8. turbohobbit

Thanks for the answers folks. So I presume if I select "Partition SD Card" from ROM Manager, it would wipe all the data that's currently on the SD card, leaving a bland card but now with a 512Mb EXT partition?

Also, as this is also my Goldcard, would I have to recreate it as a Goldcard after this?
  9. SUroot

turbohobbit likes this.
  10. turbohobbit

Grand! So If I partition using ROM Manager, I'll lose everything that's on there but the card will still be a goldcard. Wild. Thanks Dan!

But then I guess if I've rooted and I'm thinking of installing a custom ROM - thereby removing the possibility of OTA updates anyway - it doesn't matter whether or not the card is Gold, does it?
  11. SUroot

If you're rooted, if you do get an ota, best to avoid.

You should have a goldcard if your handset is originally branded. This is a recovery.measures if you ever need to use an ruu
  12. turbohobbit

Righto. Yeah, my phone was Orange branded but I debranded it. I'm 99% sure the card in my phone is a goldcard, but I'll make a spare (probably using the original 4Gb card) before I do anything rash...
  13. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

14. flyte

flyte Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I am looking for, excellent post.

So I want to do this, but I am not sure if I have a "rom which has support for a2sd+". Not being able to wait for Telus to push out froyo, I followed the instructions in this post: http://androidforums.com/1815202-post94.html to create a gold card and installed the Froyo HTC ROM from this post (http://androidforums.com/1370008-post1.html) (link to the actual ROM is Shipped ROMs)

Now I'm guessing that this HTC ROM doesn't have support for Apps2SD+ ?

In other words, is there any chance of me using Apps2SD+ without unbranding my Telus desire? Wouldn't a custom ROM unbrand?
  15. dinaro

dinaro Well-Known Member

If you already installed the stock HTC RUU then yer technically unbranded already. I had the same thing as you but I took a rooted stock froyo rom from here and installed extra mods as necessary. Custom roms will unbrand as well.

[ROM] [15/11] Pre-rooted Stock Froyo (2.10.405.2) [Optional mods] - xda-developers
  16. flyte

flyte Well-Known Member

Hmm.. I don't think I am unbranded. The lock screen has Telus on the slider, and the notifications bar has Telus on it. I don't think I am unbranded, but I did install that RUU mentioned above.

I want to do this (Apps2SD+) soo bad, but I want to at least remain branded so that if I happen to bring it back to Telus, they won't be able to (easily) discover a rooted / unbranded ROM.
  17. SUroot

If you installed an ruu, you're not rooted unless you rooted since?

There were methods to install a2sd+ pon stock roms but I found them unreliable.

You should install a custom Rom. There is a TELUS ruu. You just need to install this like the one you installed before to return to stock if you ever need to.

They can easily tell if you're umbranded by the numbers I'm the software build number.

They'll also tell if you're rooted. May as well go the whole hog and get a faster,pre battery efficient super Rom
  18. dinaro

dinaro Well-Known Member

Well, I still have the Telus branding on the phone as well after I installed everything that I just quoted above. Does that make me still branded? Probably not.

And I agree with dan there. If you're already mucking around with the idea of rooting to get A2SD+ it's going to change quite a few things with the phone already which will be easily detected. Just take the plunge like me, I haven't regretted anything I did if it makes you feel any better. Just be a little more careful not to drop your phone and buy accessories to protect it :D

Oh and make sure you read a ton before you start because if you're unclear on anything it could be nerve racking at times. ;)
  19. SUroot

Yeah, Putting a custom Rom on doesn't change the start up splash.
  20. nivin

nivin Member

Hi,
    I just bought an unbranded Desire running 2.1-update1 and I rooted it using unrevoked3 n also downloaded ROM manager and partitioned my SD card as instructed. I am currently thinking of flashing this custom ROM. I also want A2SD+. But I really don't know how to perform a clean wipe as mentioned. Can anyone help me out? I'm a newbie (previous phone was an N95!) :) And will clean out all my settings and apps? Sorry..but I really need some help on this!
  21. SUroot

Look at the rooting faq in my Sig. Search for wipe in that thread
    nivin likes this.
  22. flyte

flyte Well-Known Member

Any risk in going larger than 512MB? Many of the newer phones come with 1GB of internal storage. Can we increase to that?

Also, what exactly is to be done with the apps already installed to the SD card? After doing all of the above, are we supposed to move all apps back to the phone, and let Apps2SD+ do its thing?

In other words, we never will select "move to sd card" any more, and only install apps onto the new "internal storage"? What if we hit the 512MB limit and want to continue installing to the SD card? What happens then?

So we know creating a gold card, then formatting / wiping it remains a gold card. What about the inverse? What about taking an existing SD card and making it into a gold card. Is everything wiped in the process?
  23. SUroot

1) no risk, no point.

The internal memory still gets used for app cache. It will fill up too, possibly not letting you go beyond 512 by much anyway.

You could repartition your internal space to give more internal memory but this is for advanced modifiers only. See how you get on first and revisit this idea if needs be.

Formatting to 1GB on advance can'thurt, you just won't be able to use it all yet

2)move them back

3) no idea. I advise backing io content before doing this anyway
  24. droidzone

droidzone Well-Known Member

Isnt the first step in creating a gold card, connecting it to a card reader and formatting it? :)
  25. nivin

nivin Member

"You should do a full wipe in recovery before installing the ROM" - Does this mean that I need to wipe it using ClockworkMod??