• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [FAQ]ROOT MEMORY: a2sd+ / partitions (updated 10th August 2011)

Silly question: I partitioned my SD card to allow for A2SD+ and then flashed Teppic's ROM which all works fine. I now want to flash LeeDroid 2.2f, which even though is a Sense Rom will probably involve wiping to ensure a clean load. If I wipe the card, I know I'll lose the apps on it (I'll do a Titanium back-up first...) but will I have to repartitian the card too or is that done for good now?

Upvote 0
You wont wipe the card. You will wipe data which will remove the apps from EXT partition.

Then do your (selective) titanium restore.

You can always try without wiping first (you can wipe from recovery, so if you get a boot loop, drop the battery out and boot into recovery).

No point holding off. 2.2g will flash directly over f when its out. I do this sort of thing on the bus to work quite often. No biggie.

Upvote 0
I rooted my desire then partition my sd card using rom manager, the first time it didn't do it properly because once I flashed to leedroid 2.2f and used system info it said A2sd was only 15MB and 13MB free. Did it again right now and now its 458MB and free 347MB. Do I have to reflash leedroid? also how do I check if the SD card partition is ext3?
Any app out there that can allow me to partition to 1024MB?

Thanks for any help

Upvote 0
just my experience

i flashed leedroid 2.2f and created 1 1gb ext3 part on my 16gb card

i have loads of apps for a change and managed to install flash and maps updates etc

Quick system info reports

A2SD Storage
Total 0.93gb , Free 513mb

internal Storage
Total 148mb, Free 64.61mb

so from my point of view it was well worth going to 1gb as 512 just wouldnt have been enough which was my only reason for doing it in the first place.

i know that i can get rid of some apps but now i dont need to

Upvote 0
Lucky.you. I've actually done all the modifications I want to do so need someone to invent more for me to do. :(

It's fair to say I'm addicted

hi dan! GREAT tut! I had done the partion thing but had no clue if it had gone through. So I downloaded Quick system info per your recommendation and voila!

Now, I do apologize beforehand if this has already been asked of you or in previous posts (i have not found one helpful after reading LOTS).

A step by step guide (just as you did with this thread) to remove stock/crap apps. I have a HTC mytouch slide with SLIDE-Reloaded v1 from xda's ROM bible.

I have had the phone for three weeks now so I am still a complete noob and learning lots by the day. The one thing that is annoying me is not bien able to get rid of the bloatware.

I have tried to toggle r/w on root manager and multi-select/delete and tried Titanium delete from the back-up restore tab with no avail!

Would this be a challenge or has it already been done? If so would you point me in the right direccion please?

Cheers :)

Upvote 0
hi dan! GREAT tut! I had done the partion thing but had no clue if it had gone through. So I downloaded Quick system info per your recommendation and voila!

Now, I do apologize beforehand if this has already been asked of you or in previous posts (i have not found one helpful after reading LOTS).

A step by step guide (just as you did with this thread) to remove stock/crap apps. I have a HTC mytouch slide with SLIDE-Reloaded v1 from xda's ROM bible.

I have had the phone for three weeks now so I am still a complete noob and learning lots by the day. The one thing that is annoying me is not bien able to get rid of the bloatware.

I have tried to toggle r/w on root manager and multi-select/delete and tried Titanium delete from the back-up restore tab with no avail!

Would this be a challenge or has it already been done? If so would you point me in the right direccion please?

Cheers :)

Yup..
Check out the following for removing system apps:
Dan's guide here
Guide on Modaco (advanced)
Using Titanium to remove system apps (May not always work, but is the simplest)

Upvote 0
Yup..
Check out the following for removing system apps:
Dan's guide here

Cheers DZ. Of course the best way now is to flash the AlphaRev 1.5 s-off hboot, buy root explorer, browse to /system/app mount as r/w in root explorer and simply delete them. As with all methods though, you need to be careful what you delete.

Upvote 0
Cheers DZ. Of course the best way now is to flash the AlphaRev 1.5 s-off hboot, buy root explorer, browse to /system/app mount as r/w in root explorer and simply delete them. As with all methods though, you need to be careful what you delete.

Well, I love the method you suggested for me last time I had a problem with Google Maps..No need for S-OFF..i.e..Flashing the same ROM over the current ROM after removing the app from /system/app in the ROM zip..Followed by deleting the cache.

Upvote 0
Well, I love the method you suggested for me last time I had a problem with Google Maps..No need for S-OFF..i.e..Flashing the same ROM over the current ROM after removing the app from /system/app in the ROM zip..Followed by deleting the cache.

Yeah that's good too. Mo help if you stay with the stock Rom though.

I need s-off for custom partition so may as well use it for deleting apps too

Upvote 0
Thanks droid! Readon some of the info now :)

Will the AlphaRv replace my current ROM or is this some software to assist in removing apps? I actually have Root Explorer (didn't know there was a paid version though) and that is what I tried initially. Toggled the r/o to r/w > menu > multi-select > selected apps > delete but that did not get rid of anything. As soon as the phone rebooted they were back.

I did the same with Titanium. >Problems > Backup/Restore >selected apps one by one > delete. Titanium would automatically restart my phone after each one (only tried it three times) but that did not get rid of the apps either (as droid mentioned above).

You I managed to hide the suckers with Launcherpro but that is cheating and not really deleting (which is my goal).

I love this sentence from your How to post:
I was frantically trying to remove a system installed app yesterday, but google wasn

Upvote 0
Alpharev is a custom Bootloader. Its what boots your Rom or your recovery. It is custom in that it ignores the security flag which is stored in radio nvram. On your normal rooted Rom, this will allow deleting of apps with root explorer. Otherwise they are replaced when you reboot.

CDMA rooted users enjoy s-off when they.root with unrevoked. GSM need alpharev.

:)

Upvote 0
Dan, can you link me to any guides (here or on XDA) which explains how to actually calculate and choose MTD Partition size? Which guide did you use-Firerat's or daedelus82's? And how much space have you saved with this hack? I did find a few threads, but couldnt find a good enough explanation for setting the size..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones