• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [FAQ]ROOT MEMORY: a2sd+ / partitions (updated 10th August 2011)

1) Backup your SD card contents to your PC
2) Install ROM manager from the Market.
3) In ROM manager, click "Flash Clockworkmod recovery"
4) Choose "Partition SD Card", select size as 512MB, Swap = 0
5) now you just need to flash your ROM with a2SD+ support.

Step 3 is SO important, even if ROM Manager says you have the current latest version of ClockworkMod. Trying to partition the SD card without flashing recovery will cause an error and you need to reboot.

You also need to flash recovery before you use ROM Manager to create a nandroid backup ("Backup current ROM"), and before flashing other .zip files (Super-Circle battery Icon) etc.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this Dan. I rooted and am using the Leedroid ROM. Your advice was straightforward, easy to follow and appears to be working using the 'quick system info' test. Thanks for helping me out.

No worries.

I noticed a lot of questions about this, both here and in ROM threads. I thought since I had a little knowledge on the subject, I would compile the FAQ to help people out.

Upvote 0
All apps will go as desire. However, you wont get the associated market links.

Any restore via titanium will restore the market link btw.

Cheers mate.

Just thought I'd run something past you as it confused me a little.

I restored Angry Birds to my phone last night via Titanium. For some reason, it installed part of it to my SD card and part of it to my phone.

Is this because it was saved on both my phone and SD card previously?

Anyway, after reading your post above I decided to do a bit of experimenting. The market link wasn't restored for me, despite the fact I restored the app and its data via Titanium.

I thought this was strange, so I backed up Angry Birds via Titanium and uninstalled Angry Birds.

I then reinstalled it from the Market to see if it would show up. It didn't show up at first, but it did save some of the app to the SD card, which once again I moved across to the phone.

I then rebooted my phone and the market link was restored.

I then restored only the Angry Birds data and all seems fine.

I suppose I'm wondering why it installed part of the app to my phone and part of it to the SD card?

Edit: I've just downloaded the new Angry Birds Seasons game and this did the same. It downloaded part of the game to the phone and part of it to the SD card. Once again I naturally moved it to the phone.

Also, I assume there's no harm in me only transferring across only the app data to be used with a freshly downloaded version of Angry Birds in order to get the market link restored.

It's all fairly minor stuff, but I'm enjoying the odd bit of tinkering and seeing how things work if that makes sense? I guess that's how we all learn! :D

Upvote 0
Cheers mate.

Just thought I'd run something past you as it confused me a little.

I restored Angry Birds to my phone last night via Titanium. For some reason, it installed part of it to my SD card and part of it to my phone.

Is this because it was saved on both my phone and SD card previously?

Anyway, after reading your post above I decided to do a bit of experimenting. The market link wasn't restored for me, despite the fact I restored the app and its data via Titanium.

I thought this was strange, so I backed up Angry Birds via Titanium and uninstalled Angry Birds.

I then reinstalled it from the Market to see if it would show up. It didn't show up at first, but it did save some of the app to the SD card, which once again I moved across to the phone.

I then rebooted my phone and the market link was restored.

I then restored only the Angry Birds data and all seems fine.

I suppose I'm wondering why it installed part of the app to my phone and part of it to the SD card?

Edit: I've just downloaded the new Angry Birds Seasons game and this did the same. It downloaded part of the game to the phone and part of it to the SD card. Once again I naturally moved it to the phone.

Also, I assume there's no harm in me only transferring across only the app data to be used with a freshly downloaded version of Angry Birds in order to get the market link restored.

It's all fairly minor stuff, but I'm enjoying the odd bit of tinkering and seeing how things work if that makes sense? I guess that's how we all learn! :D

Not sure. what about other apps?

You havent used force to sd in titanium? Perhaps your rom has a default install location set somewhere in settings?

Upvote 0
I cuerrently running LeeDrOiD 2.2f. I presume if I download and install AlphaRev 1.5 the s-off will stay in the HBOOT even if flash a new / updated custom ROM such as LeeDrOiD 2.2G (as and when it's released!).

Yes, only an RUU will remove (or manual reflash of an unmodified hboot - see alpharev site for details)

Also, I presume I download AlphaRev to the root of the SD card, like with a new ROM?

No, its a bootable CD.

Upvote 0
Not sure. what about other apps?

You havent used force to sd in titanium? Perhaps your rom has a default install location set somewhere in settings?

Nope. I haven't used force to SD in Titanium.
The smaller apps have been installing immediately to the phone (SD card partition) like they should.

Perhaps it's something to do with the size of the apps? As Angry Birds is quite large in size in comparison to your average app.

Upvote 0
There appears to be a lot of confusion about this, how to do it, what it is and how to check it is working.

How do I check it has worked?

Download "quick system info from" the market. It will show you an "a2SD" total size and free space.

If the free space is less than the total, the partition is being used for apps and it is working.
Titanium Back Up (free) also tells you if a2sd is working. At the bottom of its homescreen there is now 3 horizontal meters, the very bottom one is a2sd, if it doesn't appear, your a2sd is not working.

Upvote 0
Titanium Back Up (free) also tells you if a2sd is working. At the bottom of its homescreen there is now 3 horizontal meters, the very bottom one is a2sd, if it doesn't appear, your a2sd is not working.
Yes true. Is yours accurate? Mine shows an amount of a2sd and I dont even have a2sd anymore.

Upvote 0
Yes true. Is yours accurate? Mine shows an amount of a2sd and I dont even have a2sd anymore.

I think so, I flashed the Firerat patches the other day and couldn't get them to work, Titanium Back Up gave me only Internal and SD readings. I then flashed Darktremor and then there were three. I did wipe Dalvik and a few other caches I'd never heard of though.

Upvote 0
But is the free / used space = to that in QSI?

If so, I'll edit and add it to the FAQ :)

Cheers

My figures are accurate to within 100mb, but that's only because Titanium rounds things off to 100's. Sorry no screen shots, maybe someone else will confirm this. My point in the thread was is that it told me at a glance that my a2sd was working. Originally I thought it was working because my low memory warnings weren't appearing, unfortunately I didn't realize that this was because the new ROM was so much smaller than the old one.

Upvote 0
Originally I thought it was working because my low memory warnings weren't appearing, unfortunately I didn't realize that this was because the new ROM was so much smaller than the old one.

You have a 250MB /system partition that your ROM sits within. No matter how small the rom is, it will only make a difference within the system partition.

/data is a completely separate partition. You cannot use /system space as /data space.

Small rom does not mean more space for data / apps etc

so by not realising, you were in fact correct :)

Upvote 0
Dan, I know you say that all apps should be moved from sd to phone before starting the procedure, but what would the consequence of not moving them?

I've got far too many than would fit in phone storage so I was hoping I could restore them to sd after flashing then move them to phone. Not possible?

Upvote 0
Running with Apps2SD+, I still have these apps appear on the "On SD Card" tab of manage applications:

Angry Birds - 1.90 MB
Tank Recon 3D Lite - 588 KB
androidVNC - 256KB.

Why are these apps on the "sd card" - shouldn't the script always move the apps back to internal storage?

Should I move these back to the phone?!

Upvote 0
Running with Apps2SD+, I still have these apps appear on the "On SD Card" tab of manage applications:

Angry Birds - 1.90 MB
Tank Recon 3D Lite - 588 KB
androidVNC - 256KB.

Why are these apps on the "sd card" - shouldn't the script always move the apps back to internal storage?

Should I move these back to the phone?!

No the script doesn't move them from sd. The script is older than froyo, so it wasn't possible to move them to sd at the time anyway.

Yes you should move them back to internal.

What Rom are you on? Perhaps you have an install location set?

On cyanogen based roms, you cam set internal, external or default. If apps are coded to external, then you may have to change from default to internal.

If you don't have this, just double check apps when you install them

Edit. Or do the pm installlocation back to internal memory as per the undo of Williamj thread

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones