• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [FAQ]ROOT MEMORY: a2sd+ / partitions (updated 10th August 2011)

When i had stock froyo (a2sd) if i force to be installed on sd, the widget wont work. is this the same with a2sd+ ??

No.

SD EXT is seen as internal memory. Everything operates as if it is internal memory.

even if you mount your SD card in Windows, it doesnt unmount SD EXT so the apps can still be used.

Reactions: ntebis
Upvote 0
Hi Dan and others,
I am begining to muster up courage to move to a custom ROM, but have a few queries:
I have a debranded Orange phone (goldcard used) with stock HTC Froyo. Do I need to Unlock (Sim) my phone for the initial rooting process??

I have a gold card but would like to use a bigger card for the A2SD+ features, should I make it a Goldcard as well or can I flash my rom with the original Goldcard and use the new formatted card after flashing for daily use.

grateful for all advice:eek:

Upvote 0
Hi Dan and others,
I am begining to muster up courage to move to a custom ROM, but have a few queries:
I have a debranded Orange phone (goldcard used) with stock HTC Froyo. Do I need to Unlock (Sim) my phone for the initial rooting process??

I have a gold card but would like to use a bigger card for the A2SD+ features, should I make it a Goldcard as well or can I flash my rom with the original Goldcard and use the new formatted card after flashing for daily use.

grateful for all advice:eek:

You don't have to use the goldcard when flashing. It's just a backup for recovery purposes.

You don't need to unlock the phone but with Orange it might be best to remove the sim during the rooting process.

Upvote 0
You don't have to use the goldcard when flashing. It's just a backup for recovery purposes.

You don't need to unlock the phone but with Orange it might be best to remove the sim during the rooting process.

Thanks Dan, will do, I am hoping to use the Leedroid rom v2.3. I am on 2.2 stock HTC, is there any thing that I need to be careful about in particular during the process??

Upvote 0
I know I need to root 1st but do I do the 5 steps Apps2SD thing beofre or after I've installed my new ROM?

If you mean these steps:
1) Backup your SD card contents to your PC
2) Install ROM manager from the Market.
3) In ROM manager, click "Flash Clockworkmod recovery"
4) Choose "Partition SD Card", select size as 512MB, Swap = 0
5) now you just need to flash your ROM with a2SD+ support.
The first one you can do before rooting, but you need to be rooted before you can do any of the others. The last one is the installation of the new ROM :)

Upvote 0
Thanks Dan, will do, I am hoping to use the Leedroid rom v2.3. I am on 2.2 stock HTC, is there any thing that I need to be careful about in particular during the process??

I haven't installed Leedroid myself. Just the usual things to be careful of. You may need to do a wipe.

If you're going to Leedroid from an Orange branded rom, I believe Eris Ed has done this, so he may have some pointers...

Upvote 0
If you mean these steps:

Quote:
1) Backup your SD card contents to your PC
2) Install ROM manager from the Market.
3) In ROM manager, click "Flash Clockworkmod recovery"
4) Choose "Partition SD Card", select size as 512MB, Swap = 0
5) now you just need to flash your ROM with a2SD+ support.

The first one you can do before rooting, but you need to be rooted before you can do any of the others. The last one is the installation of the new ROM :)

How do I backup the the SD card, with Titanium backup?

The only i don't want to REALLY lose is my Angry Birds game! :D

Upvote 0
If you need to backup only Angrybirds:

Titanium Backup>Filter:Angry>Backup>
Click on the file and choose backup.
Now copy the folder TitaniumBackup from sdcard to pc

Thanks.

I want to backup the whole SD card cos that seems to be the thing to do before I install a ROM but backing up Angry Birds is vital :D

So I use Titanium to backup the whole SD card before I flash the ROM?:thinking:

Upvote 0
Hmm..
Ti is used to backup applications and data, including optionally all system data. It creates files in the folder TitaniumBackup in the sdcard

If you want to backup the sdcard, just copy all the files/folders to the pc. If it includes the above folder, you can restore all apps on your new rom too

So run Titanium, backup the files to the SD card & then basically just mount the phone as a disc drive & copy everything to the PC?

Upvote 0
How do you do that?

Sorry I know I'm being thick :eek:
Connect the phone to a computer. Select disc drive mode. Copy the files :)

Or did you mean the nandroid? Boot into recovery (reboot phone while holding volume down key down). When you get bootloader screen, use volume key to select "recovery" (follow instructions on screen). In recovery, scroll down to "backup and restore" (can now use trackpad), select, select "backup", leave it to do its thing, then reboot phone when it gives you the option at the end.

Reactions: ianb11
Upvote 0
Connect the phone to a computer. Select disc drive mode. Copy the files :)

Maybe he was asking about how to make Nand backup.

I'm assuming you're rooted. :)
Power off phone
Hold down Vol- .
Now press Power button keeping Vol- pressed. Keep them pressed until display turns on
Now Vol- to select Recovery
Press Power button once more to Select
Now you've entered Clockworkmod.
Choose Backup and Restore>Backup

After backing up, copy that folder Clockworkmod which will appear in Sdcard

Reactions: ianb11
Upvote 0
I haven't installed Leedroid myself. Just the usual things to be careful of. You may need to do a wipe.

If you're going to Leedroid from an Orange branded rom, I believe Eris Ed has done this, so he may have some pointers...

Thanks Dan,
followed the instructions, and got my phone rooted; flased with Leedroid ROM and can confirm have A2SD+ working well.
Feels great to be liberated!!!!!
Cheers all:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones