Fascinate = Charge = Stratosphere?

1. darthbubba

darthbubba New Member

Apologies to the moderators if I'm posting this in the wrong place...

I bought a Stratosphere on the day it was released, upgrading from a Fascinate. Now I know that the Fascinate, Droid Charge, and Stratosphere are all VERY similar under the hood, with almost identical CPU's, screen resolution, etc.

In fact, the way I've thought of it is like this:

Droid Charge: Basically a 4G version of the Fascinate.
    Stratosphere: Droid Charge with a slide-out keyboard, or a 4G Fascinate with a slider.

(I'm strictly talking about hardware here. I know that the Strat has a newer bootloader than the others, because when it was first released, none of the usual rooting methods like GingerBreak worked.)

Also, the Charge got a bunch of ROMs and themes ported over from Fascinate builds soon after its' release.

My point is, exactly HOW similar is the Strat to these phones? And how much work are we looking at to port existing stuff to it? For example, I know that the main stumbling block to porting the fascinate-mtd version of CM7 to the Charge right now is the 4G radio.

Advertisement
  2. KnightCrusader

KnightCrusader Well-Known Member

The Stratosphere is closest to the Charge than anything else. Same partitions, same radio (from what I can tell), just the added keyboard and regular AMOLED screen.

CM7 is a work in progress on the Charge because they have to reverse engineer the 4G RIL in order to get it to work. Once the charge gets it, we should get it. Trust me, I can't wait.
  3. p_025

p_025 Well-Known Member

But the entire source code for the Stratosphere is released. Why do they need to do any reverse engineering?
  4. KnightCrusader

KnightCrusader Well-Known Member

Not the entire source code. The 4G part in the kernel is a module that is dynamically linked - and according to the GPL that is allowed - sadly. So, I'm stuck with having to use about 9 proprietary modules when I work on the kernel that I have no way of recreating.

Also, the 4G managing part in Android is also closed source since Android itself is Apache licensed - meaning they don't have to share the source.