1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

fast boot?

1. badhabits727

badhabits727 Well-Known Member

Can someone explain to me exactly what it does? Should I have it on running a custom ROM? If it means anything, I'm running mik2.5

Advertisement
  2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

i have it unchecked all the time. not sure why they added it. it is annoying and useless to me.
    9to5cynic likes this.
  3. badhabits727

Can you explain in more detail what it actually does?
  4. ocnbrze

fastboot does not power down the phone. it puts it into like a sleep mode so that when you hit power it boots up faster. the phone in essence is still on. not exactly sure why they added this feature in gingerbread, but it is annoying.
  5. badhabits727

Would this not be a good thing when say, travelling in areas with no coverage etc? With full reboot being burnt in to most roms power button menu, I dont see why it would really be all bad?
  6. ocnbrze

yeah but why would you want to turn your phone off? to save battery? maybe. the only thing i do is i keep 3g off unless i want to use it. i leave my phone on all the time. you are right it is not bad, it is just that fastboot is annoying especially, if you have to get to hboot or recovery. and that is why i always have it off.

plus there are better ways to save battery life for rooted folks. try different kernels and setcpu settings.
  7. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

Hmm... I don't use fastboot. I just don't really see a need. Maybe on a blackberry (my curve literally took 5 minutes to turn on), but my evo takes a minute or two tops. That's nothing.

I should try to stop turning my phone off. I got in the habit and can't stop lol. But airplane mode at night seems logical... that way the phone's alarm clock would be an option... cool!
  8. lubberlick

lubberlick Well-Known Member

In the rooting world fastboot is silly and pointless. In the non-rooting world it makes a lot of sense to have fastboot enabled in order to trick the lemmings into thinking the phone is a lot faster then it actually is.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  9. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

Hahah.

Going for airplane mode tonight, keeping the phone powered up.