fast rom suggestions

Last Updated:

1. 5150

5150 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, ive been reading a lot about roms for the eris the past few days. my girlfriend has been getting frustrated with her eris's lag and how much it has seemed to slow down over the course of having it. I was just wondering what would be a stable, fast rom to make her phone snappy and her happy? I don't have any root experience yet so I'm looking for a solid out of the box rom to start with. All i would want is it to be fast and functional (so she doesn't get mad at me for messing up her phone). I've read about EE and WW. I read that EE isnt' very fast, would WW be a good choice, or is there a simpe fast one that I haven't read about yet?
    Any help would be mui appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

WW is good, cyanogenELB is great too comes JIT enabled which makes it real fast, but jit is stil beta so may not be stable as youd like BUT can be disable. I personally run ivans with the updated kernal so I can overclock above 710, and that is fast enough for me

3. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Of course this is all personal opinions, but, based on what I have seen:

- Ivan's is easy to install, fixes many of Eris 2.1 official bugs and slowdowns, and, once you run SetCPU once (just run it, allow superuser access, and go back home), you have it overclocked in a way that gives good performance without losing any battery life.

- xtrROM is good if you are used to the normal Sense bits - messaging, contacts with facebook sync, the dialer (without lag) - but prefer running without the SenseUI home app. It's a bit more complicated, as you need to flash the ROM, then flash some of the extras separately (I believe after you boot it once), but it's plenty fast and very stable.

- ErisLightningBolt is a fast ROM without any Sense. I think that there is a fix that allows MMS with this, so long as you run Handcent, but I never use MMS messaging myself anyway

If you want a SenseUI, just faster and fewer bugs? Ivan's. Personally, I do not like the UI changes in Evil Eris and Senseable, but others like it, so those are worth a check-out.

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

That is the ROM I've been running since yesterday afternoon and I will run it for at least a few more days.. may stay with it longer.

I flashed the 2.1.1 zip and booted then tweaked a bit, then went back and flashed the vBoost and stockapps zips, each with their own reboot just to play it safely. All syncing stuff is in there.

It's the fastest, most stable OCed ROM (using SetCPU) I've yet tried. I'm using it with Launcher Pro.

5. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

+1 to both doogald and HTCthebestdroid re. Ivan's ROM. By the way, Ivan is working on version 1.1 and says in his thread over at xda:

"The current changes are:

Based on the last leak which uses the same files as the official ROM
    Switched to Zanfur's overclock
    Undervolted all the lower speeds to save battery life
    Removed all unneeded kernel debugging for speed
    Deodex'ed all files (yet to be tested)
    Optimized every single PNG, GIF and JPG

I'm going for speed in this version.
    "

Check it out (I'm hoping he'll also include JIT...:)):

[ROM] Eris_Official 1.0 Alpha With Controllable Overclocking! [5/9/2010] - xda-developers

6. les017

les017 Active Member

Had the wife on Ivan's ROM until xtr came out. She alwys ran with Sense OFF anyway, so this was perfect. 748 MHz with good flow and no FC, with both Launcher Pro and Tag Home

7. 5150

5150 Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you for the replies, ill have to check out ivans, and xtr, i should probably get approval from the misses though before i start rooting her phone lol.

8. rvpartsguy

rvpartsguy Well-Known Member

I had never seen Tag Home before ...pretty cool