Faster because of hardware or OS?General

Last Updated:

1. elias4444

elias4444 Member This Topic's Starter

Just wondering if the reason for the G2 being so fast was because of the hardware inside or because it's running 2.2 Froyo with the JIT compiler. I'm looking to develop 3D software either on a G2 or a Vibrant, and was curious if the Vibrant would be faster than the G2 once Froyo comes out for it. Anyone know?

Advertisement
  2. yhbae

yhbae Active Member

It is definitely hardware. Whether it is faster than Vibrant is a different story. Until we have more detailed result on Adreno 205 vs Power SGX540, its hard to tell. My gut feeling says 540 will still have the edge in pure 3D graphics speed.

Check out this site:

http://smartphonebenchmarks.com

Compare the devices that are running only Froyo. You will find that G2 still performs well amongst these devices.

3. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Run nenamark 3d benchmark. I get consistent upper 40's fps on it using my Galaxy s. It runs super smooth as well with no lag and rare hiccups.

I just checked the market and someone named Danny said he got 33.2fps on his G2.

4. fangorious

fangorious Guest

The Vibrant's GPU is better but the G2's CPU has a more powerful core that the JIT is very well optimized for. The UI on the G2 is very responsive. Better than the Vibrant. But heavy graphics applications should render smoother on the Vibrant. Having Hummingbird optimized JIT in the 2.2 release for the Vibrant may help with UI responsiveness but it's mostly the bad I/O performance due to the crummy filesystem on the Vibrant that is causing lag issues.

5. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

^^

Very true. The i/o on the Vibrant slows down the phone and really hinders the cpu power. For whatever rason, the Epic doesn't suffer the same i/o lag issues and is thus noticibly faster and snappier than the Vibrant (comparing both out of the box). If the they fix the i/o issue, it would improve the speed of the Vibrant (like seen frome the lag fixes).