• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Faster, bigger SD cards and Eris responsiveness

While normally this is my sentiment as well, I think you should check into this, Rob...

No complaints with my TOPRAM 16GB C6 as of yet... maybe I got lucky. Still, a comparison with a benchmarking app and a C4 Sandisk would be useful.

Interesting read, so kingstons quality might be suffer as of late.

I would recommend nothing but sandisk personally. That is what I have used in all my devices with no problems for years. As shown by my tests and others, everything so far has performed as labeled. A C6 topram or Adata performed to the class 6 specifications or better, it was just the fact that a sandisk class 4 card outperformed most other class 6 cards out there. Class is only a minimum spec. There is nothing to keep companies from shooting over those baselines as has been demonstrated.

Reactions: kinakomochi
Upvote 0
I will confirm that after unmounting my sd card and backing all contents to desktop, I formatted my card using win vista and I put a few pics back on for wallpaper and my eris seems extremely responsive!! really cool
whats wierd is that I talked to vzw tech support guy named dave for two hours about 2.1 platform and he said something like when 2.1 is installed on the phone it uses the memory card to process apps or something like that (his words not mine) which up until my format i doubted him but im wondering if what he said was true>?
any thoughts?

Upvote 0
I will confirm that after unmounting my sd card and backing all contents to desktop, I formatted my card using win vista and I put a few pics back on for wallpaper and my eris seems extremely responsive!! really cool
whats wierd is that I talked to vzw tech support guy named dave for two hours about 2.1 platform and he said something like when 2.1 is installed on the phone it uses the memory card to process apps or something like that (his words not mine) which up until my format i doubted him but im wondering if what he said was true>?
any thoughts?

So you didn't put any other things on the SD card except your pics? Does the phone replace all of the other folders? Doesn't it need the other folders for stuff?

Upvote 0
Going to bring this thread back to life.

I bought a Adata class 6 8gb a few months ago for like $15 on ebay, but never got around to switching. Well, in anticiation of 2.1, I decided to go ahead and make the switch. I feel better knowing I have my old card to use as a backup-of-a-backup!

So... immediately after the switch, I have to say, some things do "feel" snappier. But overall as of now there isn't too much of a difference in things like taking photos, viewing photos in my albums and Facebook. We shall see in the long run if it makes a difference.

I'll probably invest in a 16gb card in the future, but for now, I'm perfectly happy with 8gb.

Upvote 0
Going to bring this thread back to life.

I bought a Adata class 6 8gb a few months ago for like $15 on ebay, but never got around to switching. Well, in anticiation of 2.1, I decided to go ahead and make the switch. I feel better knowing I have my old card to use as a backup-of-a-backup!

So... immediately after the switch, I have to say, some things do "feel" snappier. But overall as of now there isn't too much of a difference in things like taking photos, viewing photos in my albums and Facebook. We shall see in the long run if it makes a difference.

I'll probably invest in a 16gb card in the future, but for now, I'm perfectly happy with 8gb.

I was wondering when this thread was going to get new life since apps2sd is now working for root users. I imagine you wouldn't see a huge difference if you aren't rooted unless you have some apps that have to option to cache to sd or if you use your photo gallery or take a lot of pictures.

Upvote 0
This thread was the very first thing I thought of when Apps2SD was all the rage 2 days ago.

"Class" doesn't really matter as much as actual speed (thus, a SanDisk C4 may outperform competitive C6 cards) . . . how is there not a definitive listing of actual read/write speeds on all available cards?

I just want to know which microSDHC is the "overall fastest." I don't care how many GB it holds or what class it is. Does anyone know where that kind of info might exist? I saw some related threads over at XDA from 2009, but nothing definitive.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones