• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Faster browser than stock for Moment?

ryu79

Dec 21, 2009
Anyone have any recs on a browser to run faster than the stock Android browser on the Moment?

I downloaded Dolphin, which gets a lot of positive reviews on these forums, but found that it ran even slower than the stock. Tried Steel but it wouldn't load on my Moment.

Am used to Opera Mini on my Instinct loading faster than what I'm getting with the Moment which I find hard to accept given how much faster the phone is supposed to be...

I know what ya mean, I moved from the Instinct using Opera and loved the faster speeds, but it's only faster because Opera condenses the size of the page before sending to the phone, where as the Moment has to load the full page to show it to you. You can always download Opera Mini off the app market if you want the same experience, or wait for Opera Mobile 10 to be released for Android.

Upvote 0
I know what ya mean, I moved from the Instinct using Opera and loved the faster speeds, but it's only faster because Opera condenses the size of the page before sending to the phone, where as the Moment has to load the full page to show it to you. You can always download Opera Mini off the app market if you want the same experience, or wait for Opera Mobile 10 to be released for Android.

the current opera mini doesn't work with the moment. i heard they're working on opera mini 5.

Upvote 0
I just get this white screen and nothing happens. Maybe I am doing something funny...

I would uninstall and reinstall because its always worked perfect for me but i agree with every1 else dolphin seems nice and fast also its the best browser I've found for android i don't no what id do without it. Anyways I cant wait for Mozilla Fennec to come out for Android although that isn't going to be anytime soon.

Upvote 0
Dolphin seems just as fast as my comcast internet to me; of course I'm speaking figuratively but it is very fast tho...

So I am trying Dolphin again based on your rec. On some pages I've seen mention that the Dolphin can do the pinch zoom thing - but I can't seem to get that to happen - is that something disabled on the phone I need to unlock in some setting or a 1.5 vs. 2.0 thing?

Upvote 0
So I am trying Dolphin again based on your rec. On some pages I've seen mention that the Dolphin can do the pinch zoom thing - but I can't seem to get that to happen - is that something disabled on the phone I need to unlock in some setting or a 1.5 vs. 2.0 thing?

Multi touch isn't supported in 1.5...you'll have to wait till we get 2.1. Dolphins quick menu makes the wait for multi touch a lot more bearable.

Upvote 0
I love dolphin. It is a very well rounded browser. The only problem I have with it is the fact that there isn't any dedicated back/forward buttons and im not too shabby with the gestures. Does anyone know if there is a way to add buttons like that? I figured it would probably be in the settings at least but I cant find anything.

This might be super obvious, but u know u can use the bottom right LED back arrow as the back button, ya? (and hold it for exit option).

Upvote 0
I just get this white screen and nothing happens. Maybe I am doing something funny...

I use steel and I also get a white screen sometimes when I first open the browser. All I have to do is type in a valid url and then it works just fine.

It's probably because you don't have a home page set up yet, as neither do I.

Hopes this helps.

BTW, I love steel. The only thing I wish it would do is utilize the full screen, but give the option for the notification bar to remain on top of the browser!

Upvote 0
You really can't compare Opera Mini to a normal browser. A normal browser downloads the entire page. Whereas Opera Mini downloads the entire site to the Opera proxy servers, which do most of the processing. The Opera proxy servers then simplify the web site and transfers much less info to the mobile device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones