Faster location aquisitionSupport

Last Updated:

1. Checkka

Checkka Active Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone know how much things like Assisted GPS and Wireless Networks affects battery life?

I would assume Assisted GPS doesn't affect much because the CDMA antenna needs to be on for the phone to communicate anyway. But the Wifi might affect the life more because that antenna isn't normally on when using the phone.

I noticed in city areas with tall buildings the GPS seems to have a very hard time locking on.

Advertisement
  2. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

AGPS should make GPS more efficient, as it simplifies the work of getting a fix.

Wifi (from what I've read/heard) should not adversely affect battery life...can't remember the specifics, but people seemed to be saying wifi was at least as efficient or more efficient for data than using 3G.

3. RJT185

RJT185 VIP Member VIP Member

It all depends on where you're at, in areas where you have WiFi then it is more efficient to use WiFi than 3G. As for GPS versus AGPS, like it was said before you need the CDMA on for the data connection anyways, so unless you're out in an open field on a sunny day ... you might as well use it if you're using navigation or something along those lines.