FAT32 and 4GB file size limit....

Last Updated:

1. lefty421

lefty421 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just recieved my new Epic last night and it is one awesome phone. This is my first android based phone so I'm trying to figure it out as I go along. The biggest dissappointment so far has been the fact that I can't figure out a way to upload any large files, movies for instance. I tried copying a couple blueray rips which are about 6.5GB, but I got an error saying something about the file structure. I'm assuming the problem is that the SD card is formatted in FAT32, which has a 4GB-1 byte file size limitation.

Is there any way to get files larger than 4GB onto the SD card? I'm assuming if I were to format the SD card into NTFS, the phone probably wouldn't recognize the card any longer, correct? Any other work around?

I have several TB's of 720P and 1080P movies at home, most of which are over the 4GB size, that I thought I would be able to upload and watch on my Epic, but that doesn't seem to be the case now considering the FAT32 file structure.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. YaBoiD

YaBoiD Well-Known Member

I've copied & pasted countless files, movies, music) that have exceeded 4gb's (each) . Try re-formatting your sd card.

3. EmoTonyB

EmoTonyB Well-Known Member

or you can try zipping them and using androzip to open them once they are on the card...

4. lefty421

lefty421 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

is your card formatted w FAT32 or other?