FAUGuy's Droid X Review (PhoneArena)

Last Updated:

1. Gamble

Gamble Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

*EDIT 7-1-10 - Added newly uploaded video review. The video is ok, not nearly as good as the written review imo.

FAUGuy has just posted his review of the Droid X. In case you don't know, he is the guy on howardforums that has had the phone for awhile, and has been answering everyone's questions regarding it. Similiar to what29 is doing for us here. This review is pretty extensive, with lots of pics and detailed explanations, as well as comparisons to other Android devices:

Motorola DROID X MB810 Review (Phone Arena Reviews)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJO0rBNbwvQ

Advertisement
    ctxx24, jroc, AJ_EVO and 3 others like this.
  2. rootedEris

rootedEris Banned

hmmmmmmm....

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/image.php?m=Reviews.Images&f=name&id=71658&caption=&title=Image+from+%22Motorola+DROID+X+MB810+Review%22%20-%20Camera%2C+Multimedia+and+Software&popup=1

IT seems the gpu in the galaxy S is amazing, unfortunately as a "WHOLE".... the galaxy cant keep up with the X. Could this be the fault of the touchwiz ui? HMMMM things are not always what they seem

Pros

• Impressive 4.3” WVGA display
    • Call quality and talk time
    • 8MP camera with great color and detail
    • HDMI output

Cons

• Add-ons are not as functional as Sense UI
    • 720p video recording quality is lacking

Gamble likes this.
  3. emr25

emr25 Well-Known Member

According to this, the 16GB microSD card included is class 4. Better than class 2, and good enough for most uses.

4. Gamble

5. phobic

phobic Well-Known Member

The 24 fps limit on the high-res video is a bit of a bummer but everything else looks to be really nice with the Droid X. Still looking forward to getting mine.

6. Gamble

I wonder if a 3rd party app or root (I know it's supposed to be impossible with the signed bootloader) would up the fps on video recording?

7. rootedEris

rootedEris Banned

root SMASH limit!!!!

8. 10splaya22

10splaya22 Well-Known Member

I thought it was a really well written review. Makes me want it even more now!

9. rootedEris

rootedEris Banned

Froyo should be able to give us the extra 6 fps....if the bootloader is in fact locked:(

10. Gamble

Same here!

11. rootedEris

rootedEris Banned

soooooooooo this has covered a lot of the things that our very own what29 has covered.....i want it more now :D

This phone has it all. IT ALSO MAKES CALLS.

the one thing that still surprises me is the battery life. Im seriously impressed by the size of this thing, and the battery life that comes with it. In comparison the incredible is a smaller phone with a better screen which shoud reduce the draw on the battery. Unfortunately it doesnt. The evo is another one.....i would quickly have to say its the snapdragon. then when i realize that the eris also has this problem with NO snapdragon, things get even more interesting.

could the battery life really be due to the 45nm die?

Or is it just because it is made by htc?

12. Gamble

13. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

14. Paznos

Paznos Well-Known Member

Using that logic, think about when the Galaxy S gets Froyo too.

I guess the X would still be faster though, other than the S's GPU.

15. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

X fans dont worry, Motorola might be using that gpu in their dual core phone if they go with the OMAP 4430 or 40.

But...what will Samsung be using by then......lol

16. rootedEris

rootedEris Banned

samsung may have a better gpu, but we still dont know anything else about battery life and the hardware.

If we go by the quadrant benchmarks its pretty clear that as a "MULTIMEDIA PHONE" the moto x reigns in the verizon kingdom for now. All we know is that the galaxy has a better gpu but is getting spanked by the x in benchmarks.
    which could mean the gfx are good but the rest of the phone fails.

Frankly i would not be surprised. samsung fails at phones for some reason. Their new 3d hd tv sets on the other hand are nothing short of spectacular

17. rootedEris

rootedEris Banned

htc=bp=fail

18. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

^lol

Just some excerpts from FAUGuy's review:

Antennas, antennas, antennas......

But for real, i wanna see it compared to the EVO, since the EVO has a big screen and the batteries are about the same.

Why in tha world would HTC ship the Inc with a smaller battery, when its a 1Ghz phone? It ships with a smaller battery than the Droid, and the Droid cpu is 550Mhz..

19. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

That was the best and most comprehensive review thus far! Amazing! :D It has made me even more excited for it! I especially love the battery performance.

9:30 hours talk time? 30 hours of mixed usage? Holy crap. That blows away anything by EVO and Incredible. Motorola knows what it's doing in the battery life department.

Also... the call quality better than the Incredible? Fantastic.

20. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

I know right? This is making me more and more anxious to get the Droid X.

21. johnbrain

johnbrain Well-Known Member

I was supposed to have my Incredible today but it has been delayed. They are offering me $25 credit. Should I just switch my order to the Droid X? My only concern is size. Not that it's massive but my Eris fits nicely even in jeans pocket and the Incredible is about the same size.

That said, the X battery time sounds fantastic. Battery time seeems to me the clear advantage. Everything else is sort of subjective based on user needs. Are demos in stores yet?

22. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

I'm very curious to see how the panorama works in person. I have it on my Sony camera and find it useful. Not sure how well it'll work on a phone though.

23. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Cuz I try to stay unbiased, Samsung is releasing a phone with a 4" screen. Thats right in between the Inc and the X.

The Samsung uses a 45nm chip also. It has a good gpu, better than the X. It should have good battery life too.

Reception and call quality will be something to check out tho with Samsung. Me n Samsung havent seen eye to eye as far as reception in the past......lol

24. Gamble

It appears that even thought the X is large, it is very thin and fits into jeans nicely according to other reviewers. The new Verizon commercial features a petite girl pulling a Droid X out of her back pocket lol.

25. you2

you2 Well-Known Member

One aspect not covered in the review is effectiveness for games (something that galaxy S is playing up as having 6 axis detection).

Any comments on this aspect. Also I would like to know if there is a fix to the copy/paste from browser mentioned by What29.