Faulty Magnetic Sensor?Support

Last Updated:

1. metalchocobo

metalchocobo Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I have both the Spica and the S side by side. When I tested their compasses, they're pointing in different directions.

I pressed *#0*#. There's nothing unusual on the Spica. The S' Magnetic Sensor Test Self Test says "PASS". However, under sensor, under MAGNETIC Sensor, it says "Need for calibration #". The # fluctuates from 0 to 3 (0, 1, 2, and 3). What does this mean? It says "Need for calibration" but I don't see any options to calibrate the magnetic sensor.

I've already tried the #8 motion in different axes & it didn't fix anything. Is this normal? Is the S supposed to say "Need for calibration" under the MAGNETIC Sensor section?:confused:

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

I've just looked at my new Galaxy S (and coincidentally my old Spica) and there definitely was an issue

Spica was reporting due north (which is correct), Galaxy S was saying South West....

I calibrated both (I tried a couple of times, it vibrates when you do it _right_ i think) and now they're much closer. There still seem to be a couple of factors at play

They're consistently something like 30 degrees different (so 8%) but if you move them close to each other it definitely screws them up / interferes.

I've tried a friend's HTC Desire and it seems to more closely agree with the Spica. I _think_ the Galaxy S may be wrong....

metalchocobo likes this.
  3. sjdean

sjdean Well-Known Member

Im putt off by the magnetic compass in that it forever just bounces around all over the shop. Even if you keep it still, face down on a flat surface, it'll bounce in a 10 degree arc.

4. Ferdimage

Ferdimage Member

theres is a way to calibrate using ADB, but you need to be rooted...
    i just did the test and it has Passed.. (Ive already recalibrated)

edit: oops maybe the process is for Accelerometer above...

5. metalchocobo

@Karnka So your Galaxy S says "Need for calibration too?
    And how do you calibrate it? I don't see any buttons/options for Magnetic Sensor calibration. Did you just wave it in a figure/# 8 motion? I did that and it still says "Need for calibration". :(

I don't get it. The Spica is much cheaper yet it has neither Magnetic Sensor nor accelerometer issues. How could they release a top-of-the-line model that is so faulty?

@Sjdean That's what happened to me too. I thought I was alone on this.

So how many other people have the "Magnetic Sensor that says "Need for calibration" under the Sensor (tests)? :(

6. metalchocobo

Update: So I tried waving it again, and I felt that something inside the phone was moving. And no, I'm pretty sure I wasn't waving it too hard like a little child trying to break a toy. Now this time, the "Need for calibration" message disappeared. :eek: However, the # remains and the # is 3. Does your Galaxy S show a number on the black circle? If it does, what is the number being displayed on the black disc? Thanks in advance.

(I mean the Spica doesn't have any # on the black circle.)

7. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

Dunno, what you mean about the #s and disk etc. I'm just using a compass app I downloaded and looking at the direction.

There is a black disk with degrees on it around the compass but this just rotates so that the 0 is pointing where the phone thinks north is.

8. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

Interestingly i've been holding the phone _flat_ ie screen straight up, or putting it on my desk to test things.

If I try just holding the phone, they way I normally would, (at much more of an angle), the compass seems much more accurate.

9. metalchocobo

@Karnka If you dial *#0*#, the phone hardware test menu will appear. Under the "Sensor" section, you can check if your sensors are functioning properly. Under Magnetic Sensor, there's a black circular dial similar to a compass. On the Spica, the black circle only has a red hand on it. But on my Galaxy S, there are both the red hand & a number (& previously also the "Need for calibration" message).

10. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

Ok, no hashes visible.

Red 'hand' and the number 3 shown.

11. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Frankly, I think the compass on Galaxy S is absolutely worthless. Good thing my watch has an internal compass...

12. tpadela

tpadela New Member

ok. i was previously having compass problems and after i stumbled upon ths thread, the compass problem was fixed.

I checked my sensor by inputting the provided #'s and i had "Need calibration" so then i waved the phone around on the top of my head like u said and the "Need for calibration" sign disappeared and the #3 appeared. I tested the compass and it seemed to work perfectly.

13. Fox_nakamori

Fox_nakamori New Member

i was able to get my calibration to go back to zero by taking a weak refrigerator magnet while in the diagnostic screen (dialing *#0*#) and moving the magnet around in a figure 8 pattern in widening stepps *much like degaussing a tape* and the number dropped to 0 below the black disk and the compass seems to point true north again, i rechecked the calibration after restarting the phone and it seems to have taken, i'm not sure if my phone was exposed to a high EMF (Electro Magnetic Field) or if it was just a freak accident, but its working fine now

14. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

That's certainly interesting. Not sure if I want to risk bringing a magnet to my phone though.

15. tony2ltr

tony2ltr New Member

I justI just downloaded android sensor app. It displays readings from mag, accelerometer, light,etc...when looking at info for the mag sensor..it says..."use a magnet to watch sensor values change" or something like that...i did it.without thinking...and now my phone is magnetized....sensor values pegged...compass doesn't work..readings in the 1000's of uT..Droid Razor...
    HELP!!!!!!
    THANKS..
    Tony

16. tony2ltr

tony2ltr New Member

Got it! Used a weak fridge magnet with the figure 8 motion. It took several repeated attempts while watxhing the sensor app...it seemed to reach a threshold where everything suddenly seemed to return to normal. Compass works now...whew!

17. hemisphere

hemisphere New Member

Hi @tony2ltr:

I have the same problem. Can you explain the procedure you intented, but step by step in order to I can do the same... please.

Thanks