• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Faulty RAM or Contacts

nuube

Lurker
Oct 18, 2011
Hi,

I am new to this Forum and wish to seek your valuable experience and help in the hope to find a solution to my Samsung Galaxy S2 (SGS2) issue.

I have moved from HTC TouchPro2 on Windows Mobile 6.5 to SGS2 on Gingerbread 2.3.3.

The details of the SGS2 are:-

Baseband version: I9100DXKF1
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKF1-CL265340root@DELL106#2
Build: GINGERBREAD.XWKF1

As I have about 4,000 contacts and 10,000 messages hence it is important for me to retain as many details from my Contacts & Messages as possible when the migration is done.

To prepare for the migration of Contacts, I have used Mobiledit and have managed to move all those 4,000 contacts to SGS2 successfully

After the migration to the new SGS2, the problem of inconsistent Contacts details and unsuccessful

This seems like a configuration issue. I am guessing you are in Singapore since +65 is the international dialing code for that country. Would there be a reason why the phone would be configured for a different country? My guess is that the number of Ms X is being recognized as a number from Singapore and the country code is being automatically added. The comma is to pause.

Can you log onto gmail and check your contacts there? It's much easier managing them from a PC interface than trying to do it on the phone.

If there is something unique to the Samsung TouchWiz contact app, you should check with other users of the SG2 in Samsung Galaxy S2 (International) - Android Forums. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Upvote 0
This seems like a configuration issue. I am guessing you are in Singapore since +65 is the international dialing code for that country. Would there be a reason why the phone would be configured for a different country? My guess is that the number of Ms X is being recognized as a number from Singapore and the country code is being automatically added. The comma is to pause.

Can you log onto gmail and check your contacts there? It's much easier managing them from a PC interface than trying to do it on the phone.

If there is something unique to the Samsung TouchWiz contact app, you should check with other users of the SG2 in Samsung Galaxy S2 (International) - Android Forums. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Hi Lunatic59,

Thanks for your reply.

It seems rather strange that sometimes the contact number is preceeded with the letter N and followed by comma, ie. N,+65xxxxxxxx

I have not sync any of my contacts to my Gmail as I understand it just "back-up" the contacts and those contacts cannot be restored.

Do you suggest that I use Kies ? I need to input from scratch all the 4000 contacts and sync/restore to the SGS2 (after doing a factory reset) ?

Thanks.

Nuube
20 Oct 2011

Upvote 0
Hi Lunatic59,

Thanks for your reply.

It seems rather strange that sometimes the contact number is preceeded with the letter N and followed by comma, ie. N,+65xxxxxxxx

From: List of country calling codes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The telephone numbering plan for a telephone system includes an international dialing prefix, such as "00" or "011", which is added before the country calling code and is specific to the country from which the caller is dialling. Generally, as in the list below, the need for this prefix is specified with a "+".

I would assume that the "N" is your carrier's code to indicate international dialing. The comma is a pause +65 is the country code for Singapore. If these are local or in-country calls for you then you do not need the prefixes.

I have not sync any of my contacts to my Gmail as I understand it just "back-up" the contacts and those contacts cannot be restored. Do you suggest that I use Kies ? I need to input from scratch all the 4000 contacts and sync/restore to the SGS2 (after doing a factory reset) ?

That is incorrect. Sync'ing your contacts with gmail is more than simply a backup. It makes your contact list available to all your Android devices linked to that gmail account as well as saving them in the "cloud". You do not need to input them all from scratch. If you export them from your Windows Mobile phone (or Outlook, if you sync your phone to Outlook) as a .csv file, you can import them into gmail on a PC. They will sync back to your phone and you are done. Managing the contacts from a PC is infinitely easier. Yo shouldn't have to do a factory reset unless you want to change the primary gmail account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones