1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Fav app for jogging?

Last Updated:

1. handymanny

handymanny New Member This Topic's Starter

I like my apps simple and clean. Anyone have a favorite simple paid/free app they use while jogging? I noticed some remarks that accuracy seems to differ across different jogging apps, and some stop tracking if you get a phone call or text message. Any GPS jogging apps that run also in the background so you can call, text, etc?

Advertisement
  2. omfgwtflawl

omfgwtflawl Well-Known Member

I use to use one app that I can't remember but it gave me two pretty accurate distances of 1.4something for my neighborhood but one day it gave me .49. So I stopped using it. I keep forgetting to test RunKeeper. I can test it out for you tomorrow though and get back to you :)

3. handymanny

Yeah, I'll have to look at that too. I noticed also that calories burned seems to differ across apps. When I search in Market for jogging, I notice not all GPS walking apps even have calories burned. Jogger has calories burned, but isn't free. OnTheMove isn't free either, but less expensive. LegLogger is free, but doesn't do calories.

4. lord lucan

lord lucan Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to test runkeeper tonight. will report back with my findings.

5. turbosol16

turbosol16 Well-Known Member

I have been using Endomondo Sports Tracker, I like it (also free). It does calories also once you put your weight in. I can't comment on the Phone call but I do believe I have received a call and it didn't stop working. I think once you use an app that also uses GPS is when it stops tracking you.

I found it here 8 Best Android Apps for Health and Fitness

They have 8 apps listed for Android Health and Fitness have use the calorie counter which is also nice.

6. dommafia

dommafia New Member

You can't go wrong with Cardio Trainer or Sporty Pal. I ran both at the same time while jogging and they both reported back the same distance and my route on the map.

The calories differed though. I "seemed" to burn less calories on sportypal.

7. photek1000

photek1000 Well-Known Member

One more vote for cardio Trainer, I use it whilst cycling and it seems accurate enough.

Better still the GPS signal is strong enough to work from inside my bag.

8. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Which seems move 'accurate' to you? lol

9. turbosol16

turbosol16 Well-Known Member

Go with that one that burn more calories...

10. motherwelltim

motherwelltim Member

hi bud, jog tracker is a great app, which lets you listen to your music/call/text

i usually like to get the head down, and run with some music on, couldnt be arsed with stopping to text/call etc...

nobody would be able to understand me anyway as id be out of breath lol

brian

11. eghill1125

eghill1125 Well-Known Member

I currently use RunKeeper and my wife uses Cardio Trainer. I like RunKeeper for the simple Start and Pause buttons. They are large enough to quickly press when I am basically out of breath at the end of a run.

As far as accuracy, I have mapped in our usual 4 mile run on google maps and my wife's Cardio trainer shows around 4.34 miles to Runkeepers 4.08. The mapped in route comes out to 4.05. So I believe that for our run, Runkeeper is a bit more accurate. This is the same everywhere we run too. If we use the high school track and jog 16 laps, mine will always be near the 4.0 miles while hers will show .24-.30 more mileage..

Just my observations and may be different in different areas with GPS and all..

12. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Another Cardio Trainer vote

13. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

OK, I've put a list of the jogging apps that have been mentioned so far

Cardio Trainer (free)
    Endomondo Sports Tracker (free)
    Jog tracker (free)
    RunKeeper (free)
    Sporty Pal (free)
    Jogger (paid)

I can't access the link that turbosol has on his post, if someone can list some of the good joggin apps mentioned in there and I think we'll have a good list of jogging apps and state if they are paid or free.

@handymanny can you create a poll of all the jogging apps :) This will be much easier to see which one is the most popular.

14. handymanny

I've got RunKeeper (free) and OnThemMove (paid). I'm gonna try both... but IMO, RunKeeper seems like it does more than I'll use. I like how simple OnTheMove is, but we'll see how well they work.

15. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Sportypal FTW; tracks real-world activities like jogging and biking, and also indoor activities like treadmill and weight training.

16. Kidmet

Kidmet Well-Known Member

Does the screen need to stay on for the GPS and tracking of run keeper to work accurately? I had the GPS Run tracker and I turned the screen off. Went to mark the end of my run and it said I had only run a quarter of a mile. (Was prob a mile and a half to two mile run).

17. eghill1125

eghill1125 Well-Known Member

@ kidmet

I put my phone to sleep every time I run and have had 2 times where my 4 mile run has come up as .4 or .42 on me. I think both times I didn't have a good GPS lock to begin with and since then I have been sure to have a green light on it before I start and have had no problems since. I think that was true of Cardio Trainer also. If I start a run before the GPS is ready, then the time is the only thing that ends up right. I have done 19 runs since May 19th ???? So just those 2 times it has messed up on me..

18. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I tried RunKeeper once while walking the dog an really liked it. I can't vouch for the accuracy as the animal and I spent some time walking through some alleys (he loves sniffing the trash cans back there). It was simple enough to use. I think Nike +iPod is the best app I've used for running once it's calibrated properly. I think GPS apps are just too dependent on the quality of your GPS signal.

The calorie counting thing is kind of a crap shoot because it really depends on your weight as well as how well it calculates your distance. Any app that doesn't ask you to input your weight is just guesstimating.

19. klwheat

klwheat Well-Known Member

i use cardiotrainer running in the background while streaming pandora music. Works great and accurate for distance and speed.

20. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

That's what I typically do on my bicycle....or Google Listen instead of Pandora.

21. lord lucan

lord lucan Well-Known Member

Whichever you go for, don't do as I did earlier and forget to add it to your task killer ignore list lol.
    My run wasn't recorded as my task killer did it's job.

22. handymanny

For me, it turns out that OnTheMove works best for me. I really like simple apps, and granted it's a pay app, but I was able to stream music and navigate away from it without it stopping. The calories burned and avg speed/mile seemed the most accurate. RunKeeper is nice, but does way more than I need.

23. hood420

hood420 Well-Known Member

I don't use it a lot, but Cardio Trainer works great, and it has a very nice UI with plenty of features.

24. Schizzy

Schizzy Member

ive been using runkeeper since between the app and the online services it does almost everything i need, just wondering if anyone has found an app similar to runkeeper in simplicity and functionality that also allows you to race yourself, with audio updates as to how you are doing.

Training to get into the royal marines and need someone to get me moving abit quicker lol

25. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Are there any apps that will track your running on a treadmill the way Nike +iPod does?