• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

favorite alcoholic beverage?

By volume, Stout. Guiness or Murphy's. Or if I'm feeling special Harviestouns Old Engine Oil (delicious!!)

By neat spirit. Single Malt. Talisker by preference, with a dash of water.

Semi-Cocktail? A Red Witch or Black Velvet. (FYI - Absinthe, whilst awesome, is not a reasonable replacement for Pernod in a red witch. I have tried it several times and it always leads to considerable disaster. Dry Cider is however a reasonable replacement for Champagne in a Black Velvet.)

Cocktail? Long Island Ice Tea. Or a Pisco sour (as Rudyard Kipling said, Pisco is "compounded of the shavings of cherub's wings, the glory of a tropical dawn, the red clouds of sunset and the fragments of lost epics by dead masters".)

Although if it is sunny, NOTHING beats a good Gin and Tonic with a Lime Slice and Ice.

For being pretentious? Mastiha.

If I want to throw up? Sambuca!! (Any colour will do!)

Upvote 0
Not a beer gal.... will only drink wine if there are no other options...Champagne? YUK.... My first choice?.... Rum. Bacardi Limon preferably.... Tequila is fun... but made me hallucinate back in my college days... waaaay too much fun with tequila... making sure I got the worm... the whole nine yards... LOL... but... rum... yup.. rum agrees with me. We have a really nice arrangement.

Upvote 0
Ever try a raspberry Russian? make a white Russian and use stoli/ absolute raspberry instead of straight vodka... really surprisingly good!

If I'm drinking like a rockstar, nothing is as good at getting the job done as a carbomb.

I loves me some Stella when I'm drinking beer, or Guinness with a steak.

And, I have had the real Absynthe, and can attest to how excellent it can be.

Cheers for the thumbs up, still have yet to try that one out.

I'm still trying to get around how to make a perfect long island!

Upvote 0
Tequila is fun... but made me hallucinate back in my college days... waaaay too much fun with tequila... making sure I got the worm...

There's no worm in tequila. That would be mescal. Did worm consumption cause all those ellipses?

Anyway...

I love a good anejo tequila, but never settled on a brand. Plus the good stuff is too expensive to be that smooth; I go through it way too quickly.

Most days I drink Irish whiskey, either Tullamore Dew or Jameson's. Up.

Upvote 0
I'm a red wine man, with a strong preference toward different kinds of central and northern italian Reds. I enjoy a good beer every now and then, and prefer super dry beers like Asahi, or darker beers. my favorite american brands are Samuel Adams and Yuengling. If drinking Hard liquor, I enjoy single malt scotch and high end rum. my favorite scotch is 12 year and older Strathisla, and my favorite Rum is 15 year old and older Barbancourt. Of american whiskeys, I find most to be far too harsh. The major exception to this is Wild Turkey, especially their Rye and higher end stuff. IMHO, on average Canada does a far better job on the whiskey front than most of the US.

Upvote 0
I like a nice bottled beer, red wine or JD and coke

but my absolute favourite is... Pimms and lemonade
now I can drink lots of this...
pimms.jpg

I have been seen at car shows (I have a Nissan 300zx twin turbo) with my bottle of lemonade, a punnet of strawberries and a bottle of Pimms, getting quietly smashed :)

Strawberries soaked in Pimms ...yum

Non alcoholic
I'm also partial to chocolate soya milk and acai smoothies

Upvote 0
personally my favorites have been grey goose vodka, tried hammer and sickle but it was too harsh tasting. Sadly im in the states so the only absinthe we have here is a brand called lucid I like it, but if its truly soo much worse than some true absinthes I can wait to try them. As for tequila I like it but I just dont get drunk off of it me and some friends were hanging around and 10 shots of hurra durra tequila (not sure specifically which one) later I was still sober. Not a fan of most malt liquors but when the occasion calls I will usually go for a smirnoff ice or mikes hard.

Whiskey, rum, and cognac I cant stand. not sure why I think its the tastes or something.

Upvote 0
Cheers for the thumbs up, still have yet to try that one out.

I'm still trying to get around how to make a perfect long island!

my favorite is blue mother ****er.

personally my favorites have been grey goose vodka, tried hammer and sickle but it was too harsh tasting. Sadly im in the states so the only absinthe we have here is a brand called lucid I like it, but if its truly soo much worse than some true absinthes I can wait to try them. As for tequila I like it but I just dont get drunk off of it me and some friends were hanging around and 10 shots of hurra durra tequila (not sure specifically which one) later I was still sober. Not a fan of most malt liquors but when the occasion calls I will usually go for a smirnoff ice or mikes hard.

Whiskey, rum, and cognac I cant stand. not sure why I think its the tastes or something.

if you can find Stilletto Vodka, give it a try. its about the price of goose but i find it much more palatable.

your state sucks, we(LA) have no less then 6 different brands of absinthe in our grocery stores. but if you didn't like lucid much, your not missing out on other brands.

smirniff ice is my wifes drink of choice, but ill be damned if i dont grab when whenever she does, its pretty good.

this is what im having tonight, on the rocks.
oldneworleansrum.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm a fan of mexican beers. I personally love a corona with lime and salt, but even better than that, Tecate beer, with soured/salted cherries or plums dropped inside, brim covered in lime and salt, the best.

If you want to go the mixed drink route and if you wan't to get f*cked up, a Tokyo Tea will do it. That shit is strong, trust me.

Upvote 0
Sadly im in the states so the only absinthe we have here is a brand called lucid I like it, but if its truly soo much worse than some true absinthes I can wait to try them.

Absinthe has been legal (again) since 2007. There are three or four varieties at my preferred liquor store.

They all taste like licorice, though, and I hate that shit. Not to mention it's expensive as hell.

Upvote 0
I love the anise taste of absinthe, but after two full glasses (prepared with ice water) it gets over whelming, I live in MA and the only absinthe ive found has been lucid, Im going to go over to France for a bit as a vacation so I am definately planning on trying real absinthe.

Also a good tasting mix I tried once was taking some sherbet of choice and using it as an ice cube with vodka, keep it nice and cold and some flavor too.

Upvote 0
I've read many times that none of the modern absinthe makers are the original liquor that was called absinthe. from what I'ev read real absinthe is supposed to be the color of olive oil (green-gold, not fluorescent green) and have a bitter flavor similar to Pernod. IN fact the only company believed to still have a original recipies for Absinthe is Pernod, since they were the biggest maker of it before it became illegal, and they introduced Pernod as a similar tasting replacement. From what I've read it was not supposed to taste like licorice, and many of the liquors sold as absinthe today, are wildly different.

There was a project done by a company called Jade liqueurs in Britain a few years ago to recreate those early recipes into a modern product. I think they might have gotten that project off the ground, but honestly I have not kept track.

Upvote 0
I've read many times that none of the modern absinthe makers are the original liquor that was called absinthe. from what I'ev read real absinthe is supposed to be the color of olive oil (green-gold, not fluorescent green) and have a bitter flavor similar to Pernod. IN fact the only company believed to still have a original recipies for Absinthe is Pernod, since they were the biggest maker of it before it became illegal, and they introduced Pernod as a similar tasting replacement. From what I've read it was not supposed to taste like licorice, and many of the liquors sold as absinthe today, are wildly different.

There was a project done by a company called Jade liqueurs in Britain a few years ago to recreate those early recipes into a modern product. I think they might have gotten that project off the ground, but honestly I have not kept track.

Ted Breaux created lucid and provided the science that made absinthe legal in the US today. he admits lucid is way off from original absinthe but he didn't know that until he managed to get his hands on a few century old bottles. after a long process of reverse engineering those old batches he created his amazing line of Jade absinthes.

nouvelle orleans is made in the original form and is much better then lucid. still too licorice flavored for me though and twice the price. but if you like lucid this bad boy is a must. definitely the best ive had.

Reactions: 330D
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones