• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Favorite Android/Optimus V Apps - List Yours

May the force smoke with you! LOL

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 0
I'm only a couple months in with my phone but i've got a medium smallish list of apps that will be sticking around a while... if something isn't listed, that doesnt necessarily mean i don't have it or an equivalent - just that i haven't "made my mind up" yet. This is for *favorites* after all. :D I'm leaving out the market apps, games and such for brevity.

Somewhat categorized:

ES File Explorer
Dolphin Mini
Launcher Pro

Stitcher
Nerdist Widget
Proopcast Widget
Scanner Radio

Widgetsoid
LauncherDock
Advanced Clock Widget

Evernote
Keeptrack Pro (got as amazon FAotD)

RealCalc
Tricorder
Smart Compass
PowerTutor (as needed)
Barcode Scanner

QR Alarm Clock (am rolling my own custom version as we type.)
Toggle Airplane On Boot

Lastly:

Auto Airplane and/or
Power Schedule

Im on the lookout for a similar, but better & still fairly minimal equivalent to the last two. They both kind of suck in a "you wouldn't see this on an iphone" kind of way. But they do the job.

Reactions: gmailcsmc
Upvote 0
I had a membership here since I bought my phone. I lurked in silence until about November. I haven't shut up since.

Well, that explains a lot...I've been wondering how you've been here as long as I have but I had no recollection of even running into you until recently. Glad my old coot memory isn't that bad. :D

Reactions: brotherswing
Upvote 0
I can't believe how little my list has changed. Wow, I'm boring...
Most of the same stuff but no more Android Assistant. Watchdog and App Cache Cleaner instead. Simi Folder & Simple Text Icons make my screens clean and mean.

And this is my 500th post, finally! Wanted it to be in the V forum just like my 1st. :D

Well well well.. what do we have here... melim's 500th post. Found it! LMAOOO...:rolleyes::D:p

Upvote 0
I usually don't go for this sort of post 'cause things can get evangelical, but I came across an app that I truly think should be a standard feature on all droids. I used to get accidental calls out where I wasn't actively controlling the phone, like putting it in my pocket. I went for a lock screen app where I had to lock it when I was putting it away and then unlock it when I wanted to use it.

Smart Screen Off is the app I just found and it is a definite keeper. No more lock/unlock. Just put it in my pocket or lay it face down and SSO uses the proximity sensors to turn the screen off and on. No more pocket dials and minimum effort to make my phone work for me instead of the other way around.

Upvote 0
Here's my favorites. All free versions except where noted.

EasySMS - fantastic program which lets you use your computer's screen and keyboard to send and receive SMS. One of the only apps where I paid for the Pro version just to support the author because it's so good - not because of some function which was locked out of the free version.

zxing - open source free bar code reader with a web link.

Mortplayer - best music player I've found. It's one of the rare ones which lets you select music by folders as well as Playlists and ID3 tags.

tricoder - geeky but surprisingly useful in many cases (wifi signal strength, background noise levels, etc.)

Lookout - I'm just using the free version right now. If you can't figure out where you left your phone inside your house just go to the lookout website and it'll tell your phone to scream (rather loudly). It can also display the phone's location on a GPS map (useful for when you've actually lost your phone). Plus a virus checker.

ES File Explorer - decent file explorer, including your local WiFi network.

Moboplayer - fantastic video player. After installing the player it installs a specific set of CODECs for the Optimus V's processor. That enables it to play videos which won't normally play on your phone. I use it for FLV, MP4, and a variety of other formats, even complete 2 hour movies which I've reencoded myself to watch on my phone.

call control - great for sending telemarketing and other annoying calls to voice mail.

yard sale - uses Craigslist and Google Maps to show you all of the yard sales in your area and gives the text description of the sale. Then you select directions and it passes on the geographic coordinates to the Maps application.

sticky notes - pretty ordinary post-it note app. I only use it for one purpose - I've got a post-it on my home screen which says "If found" and when you click on it it says "Please call" with a friend's phone number. Just a precaution but it might come in handy some day.

Text Editor - plain text editor. I'll save text files (to do lists, grocery lists, etc.) on my phone and it's nice to have a simple, plain no-frills text editor to read the memos.

3D Digital weather -a nice widget which also includes a clock, a battery charge indicator, and a couple of other features.

UTC clock - shows the time (with seconds) synchronized with atomic clocks. The clock in your phone can be off by almost a minute, this will give you the actual time.

swiss army knife - just downloaded and I'm starting to experiment with it.

I've got other apps but these are my favorites including some haven't been mentioned already. It's been interesting reading this thread and I am planning on checking out some of the apps others have mentioned.

I'm still looking for a decent free PDF reader. My previous phone had a text reading app as part of an Office package where I could reformat the text to fill the screen and let me select the font size. That made it practical to read non-DRM PDF books.

Upvote 0
That's impossible without knowing what you need.
I will advice you to stay away from task killers, and battery savers (The Newer Android OS's don't need them). Instead install a widget app that will allow you to control the WiFi, 3G, Bluetooth, GPS, and Auto Sync without having to keep digging into the settings menu. Then turn everything off until you need it. Turn the screen brightness down low enough so you can still see the screen.
When I leave the phone on (screen off) and turn off everything mentioned, I can go to bed with 100% battery and wake up with 100% battery.
Other than that it's "what every floats your boat".
Maybe you could post what kind of functions you would like an app to perform and we can start with that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones