• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Favorite App so far.... Developers please see link to Announcements above.

mine tops so far -

- xscope lite - browser. works alot like chrome. small and fast. tried opera mini and dolphin. both are cool, but xscope just fits me better
- google translate - when integrated with voice to text/text to voice, it's my one stop resource for figuring out what the hell is going on around here. my german is passable, but sometimes, i'm just in over my head
- laputa - ebook reader. i also use the kindle app, but there're tons of free books on laputa
- astro - almost necessary for file management and finding shit once you get a buncha stuff on the phone
- assistant free - one password lets me control all my account info from the phone plan, to bank statements, or even tracking packages. it does a buncha other stuff that i just don't use, too
- gesture search - with a longpress on the search button, you get a search engine you can use by drawing with your finger. each letter narrows the results. voice search works too, but this is just cooler
- juice defender - lets me control alot of the background apps and syncing that drains the battery. turns on that stuff for a coupla minutes outta every hour instead of just letting it gogogo
- quick settings - a pulldown from the notification bar that has access to all of the switches you might need (customizable, too) in one place - gps, sync, wifi, sounds, etc
- mixzing - free media player. there are a buncha these, but i liked the interface on this the best. it has a kinda 'genius' sorta playlist builder which was one of the things the iphone did so well
- meebo - pulls all of your IM/chat buddies into one app and it stays accessible in the background so it can work just like texting. good here, since in germany there aren't really any decent unlimited anything plans
- swiftkey beta - alot of people are really into swypetyping, but i just couldn't make it work for me. now usually i hate predictive text but this thing works really well and has almost zero learning curve
- navigation - google's nav just crushes the balls off of my garmin. of course, it needs a data connection so it's limited in the boonies and i can't use it when i go to france or whatever, but for finding even the most obscure places it hasn't let me down
- launcher pro - just started playing with this and i like it so far, particularly the scrolling dock feature

there are 2 apps i've paid for -

- widget locker -i had alot of random pocket activity and this has totally fixed that. it also allows you to put widgets on the lock screen and control how accessible you wanna make 'em. i have a clock, battery indicator, and a music controller as well as a separate wall paper.
- isyncr - lets me sync with itunes playlists. i spent a coupla years dealing with itunes and didn't wanna try to deal with switching everything over. this just locks onto whatever playlists i choose. quick and easy

Upvote 0
ShopSavvy. I scan every barcode now just to see it do the voodoo that it do :p so well.

I've always been curious about this... is ShopSavvy the #1 app for this function/purpose?

I am always surprised when Wal Mart DOESN'T seem to have the lowest prices... and if I'm walking around the store/mall and see something for $20 less on Amazon etc using this app, I'll wait for it to come in the mail!

Thanks for sharing - just want to make sure this is the best app for this scanning and search feature.

Upvote 0
I've always been curious about this... is ShopSavvy the #1 app for this function/purpose?

I am always surprised when Wal Mart DOESN'T seem to have the lowest prices... and if I'm walking around the store/mall and see something for $20 less on Amazon etc using this app, I'll wait for it to come in the mail!

Thanks for sharing - just want to make sure this is the best app for this scanning and search feature.

Since I have an Amazon Prime account Amazon is really the only place I'd order stuff online. If you download the Amazon app you can actually scan barcodes straight from the app and it will pull it up! Amazing...

Upvote 0
Since I have an Amazon Prime account Amazon is really the only place I'd order stuff online. If you download the Amazon app you can actually scan barcodes straight from the app and it will pull it up! Amazing...

Amazon is good, no doubt... but are there scanning apps that search much more, so I can see a good compilation of prices from various vendors?

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I just got my G1 today, and it's in dire need of some applications. Can we start posting some of our favorite and most useful apps? Thanks a lot.

-Nate
My 2 faves for free are the google skymap and the police scanner! The apps on this thing are insane! Barcode scanner, tons of office crap I'm never gonna use. Just search in the free apps first, you'll get everything you need!

Upvote 0
Am looking for an app to store passwords - don't need syncing and other high end features, just a place that's secure for storage on my phone. Am testing out "OI Safe" but there are so many out there any good, reliable, free and secure apps you're using?
OI Safe
by OpenIntents
50,000 downloads, 1548 ratings (4.5 avg)
Free
rating9.png

Upvote 0

what amazon app? I have 2.1 and can only find the kindle app and the mp3 app by amazon. Is it only for 2.2?

EDIT - it's not available to the UK yet :(

Upvote 0
Automatic Task Killer - The best app of this type.... my phone runs much quicker

Scanner Buddy - listen to police / fire etc....

Smarter Agent - shows real estate for sale based on your gps location on a real time map as you move. I'm a broker and it's a great app.

Zillow - shows real estate values in real time based on gps as you move

ebuddy - battery killer but best of its type. All IM accounts in one place.

Handcent - best of its type for text messaging

google maps - traffic etc.... great!! and free... better than my garmin

gauge battery widget - great looking battery gauge - still looking for one to put a readable icon in the status bar that changes color.

craigsphone - great for checking the personals... er, i mean yard sales....

hypnotic spiral
- best app ever!!

laybrynth lite - classic fun!

pkt auctions ebay - scan a bar code and it checks ebay....

radar now - give local radar with on click... animation could be better but a good app

I just downloaded a bunch more to test but the above are great apps!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones