• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Favorite App so far.... Developers please see link to Announcements above.

HD Wallpapers - thousands of wallpapers

ebuddy messenger - access to msn, yahoo messenger etc

Tune in radio - search songs, artists, genres of music and it will search radio stations across the world and play them tracks for you. Even without wifi the buffing is 5 seconds.

Redlaser - barcode scanner

Aroundme - locates banks, cinemas, restuarants around a predefined radius to you

speedtest - tests net connection speeds

Games:
tank hero - tank shooting game

camels kitchen - slice fruit game, addictive!

flight diretor - flight game similar to one on iphones except with google maps of real airports

irunner - very addictive running/jumping game

car conductor - your life will be over after playing this!

stair dismount - push crash dummys off stairs, buildings etc and get points for how many bones are crushed! can even add faces to the dummies!

Upvote 0

Tune in radio - search songs, artists, genres of music and it will search radio stations across the world and play them tracks for you. Even without wifi the buffing is 5 seconds.

Aroundme - locates banks, cinemas, restuarants around a predefined radius to you

Games:

flight diretor - flight game similar to one on iphones except with google maps of real airports

stair dismount - push crash dummys off stairs, buildings etc and get points for how many bones are crushed! can even add faces to the dummies!

Nice list but I think the best thing about tune in radio it's the ability to record any song you here on any of thoes world radio stations

Upvote 0

Games:

phone dial-pad - pressing various combinations of buttons allows you to communicate worldwide. The developers reduced the number of buttons to just 0 through 9 and added a pound and asterisk symbol, so it is easy to use. I think it comes with most Android phones.

Upvote 0
I am giving another shout-out for Lookout which is an app that provides security for your phone in scanning for malware, spyware, etc., in all the apps you download on your phone as well as when you click on links or surf the web. It also analyzes apps that access your private information such as location, contacts and messages. You can back-up all your data, locate, lock, scream or wipe your phone in case it is stolen. You can do this all from the Lookout website once you register.

I have the premium version which is $2.99 a month or $29.99 for a year (kind of pricey) but it definitely works great, I notice no excessive battery drain and it really is great piece of mind. They have the free version also which does not include all of the above but definitely provides good basic protection! :)

Upvote 0
I am giving another shout-out for Lookout which is an app that provides security for your phone in scanning for malware, spyware, etc., in all the apps you download on your phone as well as when you click on links or surf the web. It also analyzes apps that access your private information such as location, contacts and messages. You can back-up all your data, locate, lock, scream or wipe your phone in case it is stolen. You can do this all from the Lookout website once you register.

I have the premium version which is $2.99 a month or $29.99 for a year (kind of pricey) but it definitely works great, I notice no excessive battery drain and it really is great piece of mind. They have the free version also which does not include all of the above but definitely provides good basic protection! :)

lol i forgot about the wipe your phone could have used that but so you know if it just wipes the internal memory or the sd card memory as well

Upvote 0
Very new Android user...not more than a few weeks old. I am fascinated by the platform and the apps that have been recommended here. Thanks fot he recommendations.

I was just wondering, for longtime android users after the excitement of exploring the android eco-system, with how many apps have you stabilized on your device?

I usually have about 150 apps installed at any given time. Some of them I rarely use, but I keep around just so I have them (shazam, ringdroid, status notes, etc) and others I use all the time (Pulse, zedge, goSMS, etc). Then there are others that I never "open" but increase my phone's functionality (widget locker, tasker, shuffle tone, root call blocker, etc)

I have a few games, but I got rid of most of my games after I got my iPad 2

Upvote 0
Favorite apps... I will not consider those which are built into every Android (GMail, GTalk, Google Maps) since it make no sense to do so.

SwiftKey/ SwiftKey X.
When I moved over to touchscreen Android from a QWERTY messenger, my biggest problem was typing speed. I tried several options (SWYPE, Compact QWERTY keyboard). In the end the solution was the basic Android virtual QWERTY with excellent word prediction.

ColorNote.
I was looking for a simple task manager, preferably something that would sync with Google Tasks. In the end I stuck with this one, because while it does not sync with Google Tasks, it has a very nice and simple interface. The others provided too many options I don't use and clutters the interface.

Catch Notes.
For taking permanent notes I like Catch Notes. I Twitter so I prefer hash tags for tagging, other than that it is about the same as Evernote.

eBuddy Messenger.
I don't use it too much, since GTalk is the one I keep running 24/7. But eBuddy has one little known feature. You can get to Facebook Chat without having to disclose your phone number and getting a unique Facebook user name.

Robo Defense.
The game is so good I had to uninstall it. It was starting to disturb my sleep cycle.

Upvote 0

SwiftKey X.
When I moved over to touchscreen Android from a QWERTY messenger, my biggest problem was typing speed. I tried several options (SWYPE, Compact QWERTY keyboard). In the end the solution was the basic Android virtual QWERTY with excellent word prediction.

I just started using this app yesterday when it was the free app of the day on amazon, and I have to say in landscape I type a lot faster using it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones