• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Favorite Books?

A book that really enthralled me (for the 2 days that it lasted (I read fast)) is called The Plantation, by Chris Kuzneski. It was his first book and didn't receive much love but I truly believe it is masterful.

It's a story following Payne and Jones, 2 ex miltary sorts who worked in the MANIAC's, the very best of the Marines, Army, Navy, Intelligence, Air Force and something beginning with C. When Payne's girlfriend suddenly disappears one night, Payne and Jones embark on a dangerous and thrilling adventure to find her. Fighting through deception and betrayal, they track down the kidnappers to an old Plantation where a small army of black men take white people to enact revenge for the suffering that their ancestors experienced at the hands of slave owners.

Great read, great mix of history and fiction.

Upvote 0
Favorite books:
The Catcher in the Rye
Lullaby
Fight Club
Diary
Survivor
The Godfather
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
In the Dark
One Rainy Night
(In no order beside the order I remember them)

Also, while maybe not "favorite", I'm really digging all the hp lovecraft I've been reading.
And I really enjoyed The Perfect Day for Bananafish (short story).

Upvote 0
Someone loaned me a book called THE CRYING PLACE (Naseem Rakha) and it was about a prisoner on death row and the story surrounding it, it was really good and got me into that kind of book and also got me into reading-mode.
After that I read THE CONFESSION - John Grisham and I have to say it made me cry, it's one of the best books I've ever read.

Upvote 0
I read Enders Game a few months ago for a book club and really liked it. Ive yet to read anything else from the series but I did read Seventh Son and really enjoyed it as well. Some of my faves are:

Catcher In The Rye
Zombie by Joyce Carol Oates
Survivor and Choke by Chuck Palahniuk
EVERYTHING written by Charles Bukowski
Also the Cobra series by Timothy Zahn is great.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I read Enders Game a few months ago for a book club and really liked it. Ive yet to read anything else from the series but I did read Seventh Son and really enjoyed it as well. Some of my faves are:
Enders Game is a classic but the rest of the series goes downhill imo. The other books contain none of the elements which made the first one great.

Upvote 0
Favorite Books:

The Warded Man / The Desert Spear
fantastic series so far. It's a story about different characters and how they all intertwine together. They are fighting an endless war against monsters who come out at nighttime. I've seen it mentioned here before, I highly recommend it.

Night Angel Triology by Brent Weeks
Great story about an assassin, his life growing up and changing his life from a street rat to a full pledged assassin with the worlds greatest killer as his mentor. Very quick read.

Assassins Apprentice By Robin Hobb
Might be the best book series I've ever read. Captivating series about a bastard boy that works for his grandfather the kind and act as an assassin for him. The story and characters are amazing. You just feel in love with the characters and never want the book to end. 6 books in the farseer series and then 6 other books based off of the story line.

Upvote 0
Agreed!! Just re-read it couple months ago and was still as good as ever. Was gonna read some more of the series but there are so many it is kind of confusing... i had heard that there was an actual sequel finally put out recently which is what convinced me to re-read it. Course i can't figure out which is which in the time line, lol

Is the Ender Series really that good? I've been looking into a new series and read a couple of reviews, but it wasn't high on my reading list. Should I move it to the top? haha

Upvote 0
Assassins Apprentice By Robin Hobb
Might be the best book series I've ever read. Captivating series about a bastard boy that works for his grandfather the kind and act as an assassin for him. The story and characters are amazing. You just feel in love with the characters and never want the book to end. 6 books in the farseer series and then 6 other books based off of the story line.
just started looking into these, i can only find mention of 3 farseer books. He (she) has a couple other series listed on her site though. Can you break it down more?? Think I may give the trilogy a read....
Is the Ender Series really that good? I've been looking into a new series and read a couple of reviews, but it wasn't high on my reading list. Should I move it to the top? haha

Not sure it deserves a move to the top, i've only ever read the original (which is excellent btw).

You read any Brandon Sanderson? I haven't read Wheel of Time (started by robert jordan and last couple by BS) but all of his original books are awesome, Mistborn series and a couple stand alones, Warbreaker and Elantris. (he just started another series called Stormlight Archive which i havent started)

Upvote 0
just started looking into these, i can only find mention of 3 farseer books. He (she) has a couple other series listed on her site though. Can you break it down more?? Think I may give the trilogy a read....

Not sure it deserves a move to the top, i've only ever read the original (which is excellent btw).

You read any Brandon Sanderson? I haven't read Wheel of Time (started by robert jordan and last couple by BS) but all of his original books are awesome, Mistborn series and a couple stand alones, Warbreaker and Elantris. (he just started another series called Stormlight Archive which i havent started)

OH MY WORD, where to begin? The farseer trilogy is by far my favorite series ever I'm pretty sure. Quick breakdown of the first three: There is this kid of a son of the "king to be waiting". He ends up being given to his uncle the kind and works to be an assassin for him in exchange to live in the castle and such. The character development is quite amazing and you really do fall in love with all the characters. There is a skill that runs in the family that allows certain "powers". At the same time, the boy has a skill that allows him to "bond" with animals. It is highly fround upon in society and he has to deal with it and such. Amazing series. After that, there are three more books (haven't read) that are mostly fillers. Then there is the tawny man series (just as good as the first trilogy) that takes place 15 years after the last book.

Brandon Sanderson...where to begin? The mistborn series were fantastic! Read those those quickly and I loved all the books and characters, especially vin. Picked up the first stormlight book, haven't started it yet, but everyone says it's amazing!

If you really liked mistborn, please check out the codex of alera series by Jim Butcher. Just as good I promise you!

And just picked up the first enders game book, I have high expectations for ti!

Upvote 0
What does everone read on here?
My favorite book is Prachett and Gaiman's Good Omens. I have 2 physical copies of it as well as the kindle edition (before I had a tablet). I read it every time I fly or stay in a hotel. It is a comfort book for me. I have read it enough times I can just pick it up and open it and start reading it. I don't always start at the start of it all.

I have other books I like, but most books I've read only once or twice.

I am a huge fan of H.P. Lovecraft, but his works are mostly short stories. My favorite currently is The Music of Erich Zann.

Upvote 0
My favorite book is Prachett and Gaiman's Good Omens. I have 2 physical copies of it as well as the kindle edition (before I had a tablet). I read it every time I fly or stay in a hotel. It is a comfort book for me. I have read it enough times I can just pick it up and open it and start reading it. I don't always start at the start of it all.

Good Omens is one of the funniest books I can remember reading from when I was a kid, along with the Hitchhikers and Discworld series'

Too many favourite booksto mention, some of the top of my head include:-
Le Carre - Karla Trilogy
Deighton - Bernard Sampson trilogy of trilogy's
Hamilton - Nights Dawn Trilogy
Dan Simmons - Hyperion Cantos

Upvote 0
Dan Simmons - Hyperion Cantos

Hyperion was great. Such an underrated book. (In that it should be more well known)

Each of the separate characters' stories were so engrossing, and the way they interweaved into the main narrative mystery was brilliant.

I thought the technology was as well thought-out, believable, and exciting as that in Iain M. Banks' Culture novels.

Upvote 0
Hyperion was great. Such an underrated book. (In that it should be more well known)

Each of the separate characters' stories were so engrossing, and the way they interweaved into the main narrative mystery was brilliant.

I thought the technology was as well thought-out, believable, and exciting as that in Iain M. Banks' Culture novels.

Yeah, it's one of those sci-fi series that seemed to fly under the radar for some reason.

I can't believe I forgot about Banks' Culture novels - Player of Games and Use of Weapons were brilliant. He has a new one out this year that I am looking forward to :)

Upvote 0
My much thumbed copy of Yuwen(book 1), published by the People's Education Press, Beijing. First grade Chinese school textbook. The book that got me started in Mandarin, when I first arrived here four years ago.

yuwen.jpg
yuwen2.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones