• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Favorite custom rom (old or new) and why ?

Gkunk79

Jan 28, 2013
Just as the title said , list your favorite custom ROM you have ever used and tell us why !

disclaimer this is meant as a simple share your favorite ROM thread , not as a reference guide for ROMs . ROMs are usually device specific so trying to put a evo ROM someone mentions here on a galaxy s3 will probably brick the phone. end disclaimer

I'm newer to rooting and ROMs , I just rooted my sprint galaxy s3 not to long ago so I don't have a whole lot of history to choose from but of the 5 or 6 I've tried I like CyanogenMod the most so far. Mostly for its customizable features while at the same time keeping close to stock.

Upvote 0
ok not sure if you want to list other roms from other devices. roms can be device specific so do not try this on your device.

for me and my evo 4g lte......i'm in love with the pacman rom by LOTK. it is a combo of aokp, cm10, and paranoid roms.

on my og evo..... i will say that deck's reloaded 5.0 rls also by LOTK is also awesome as well.

Upvote 0
Like ocnbrze did state, We are talking about our past/present favorite ROM's but just because we love them doesn't mean you should try them on your own device, if your device is not the same as the one we tried it on.

Typically ROM's are device specific and trying a ROM meant for the EVO 4G LTE on the Galaxy Nexus will more than likely Brick your device.

So if anything, go to your device's root forum and search through the ROM's available on your device there. Sorry if you can't specifically try out a ROM we really love as it might not be available for your device.

Upvote 0
lol not everyone roots there phones. i would gander at it being maybe 15-20% of us who owns android phones root them.

but i'll keep the thread going.

so these are some of the old roms that i miss from my og evo:
mikfroyo
myn's warm
koni elite series III
cm7
and destroyer.

wow that brings back some memories......LOL

edit:
i almost forgot 4kornerz (a really cool sony xperia port)

Upvote 0
My favorites:

HTC Evo 3D
MeanROM ICS
very first ICS rom, used it several months

Swagged Out Stock
Very customizable Sense rom (favorite sense ICS rom)

ZR3D
By far the best sense Rom (gingerbread), hard to believe huh? Always super snappy and highly customizable

Paranoid Android
First AOSP rom, fell in love and haven't looked back ;)

Samsung Epic 4G Touch (GS2)

PACman
Missed that PA feel, why not get the best from all 3? PA/CM10/AOKP

-Baked- BlackBean
Fully functional 4.2.1 rom (current)

DS

Reactions: ocnbrze and Gkunk79
Upvote 0
Cm10.0 nightlies with ktoonsez kernel seems to be working great for me ! Also for better battery life I would suggest an app called deep sleep battery saver. It turns your data (WiFi or 3g/lte ) off when the screen is off. Very customizable for your needs . I have mine set to turn off when screen is off and turn on for one minute every half hour . has doubled my batt life !

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
I'm a Cyanogen guy. Used it on pretty much every Android device I have owned.

I like how simple it is along with all the features offered.

Yeah I do like Cyanogen Mod, it's always pretty stable and good to use. I, however, recently looked into modding more and such and really got attached to JBS for the GNEX. :p

I still love CM though and will probably go back at some point!

Upvote 0
A had a few good ones on the Desire HD -
- Cyanogenmod 7 (loved it because it was so light compared to the bloated Sense stock ROM)
- Virtuous Unity (by far the best Sense ROM, which was a lot lighter than stock and had a heap of great options to it)
-IceColdSandwich (one of the first ICS ROMs, and despite a few bugs with the camera and other things it was really well made)

So far for the Galaxy S3 -
-NeatROM (definitely my favourite Touchwiz ROM, everything is improved and it runs great. Stick a different kernel on it and the battery and responsiveness is fantastic!)
-Ultima ROM Leviathan (my current ROM, has a ridiculous amount of options/tweaks etc, clocking in at a massive 1.3 GB file :eek:)
-Cyanogenmod 10 (Despite beeing plagued with bugs [which is not their fault at all, just the sources haven't been released] it runs pretty well, and is a nice lightweight alternative to Touchwiz ROMs)

Upvote 0
Cyanogen Mod has a very nice wiki with everything step by step in print. A printout is handy when you try to root for the first time.

There are a lot of how-to videos, some good, some not so good. Trying to get back to just a specific point in a video is a pain. A list of decent videos would be nice.

Developer sites have very smart people. Unfortunately, most post from a device, have no idea what an antecedent is, and give people who learned English the old-fashioned way fits trying to decipher some of the posts.

Reactions: Gkunk79
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones