1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Home Alternative

What's your favorite home screen?

1. Default

24.2%
  2. aHome

12.9%
  3. dxTop

8.1%
  4. Open Home

18.5%
  5. Other

36.3%

Last Updated:

1. msimoens

msimoens Active Member This Topic's Starter

What's your favorite home screen?

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

would like to see aHome use auto-rotate for Landscape orientation...

3. Manacit

Manacit Well-Known Member

I use aHome now, since I'm rockin' a rooted phone I have auto-rotate already. I love not having two tabs or whatever, I have the four apps I use at the bottom and then I flip through all the pages (which I can customize to my liking), and have my weather/battery/time widgets and whatever else comes out. It was also FREE!

4. Ageless Stranger

Ageless Stranger Well-Known Member

if anyone has aHome apk before the last update, can you mail me a copy? the latest updatw sucks and makes it worse

5. justjimjpc

which update are you referring to? The version you are looking for ??
    The one that does not have the "Search app tray botton" to the left just above the docking-bar ?

6. Ageless Stranger

the version prior to 1.1.0, I really do not like the new tray buttons above the docking bar. My fault for blindly updating without seeing what others have said about the update first.

7. justjimjpc

I sent you a PM .... think I have in my backups the version you want ...

8. Ageless Stranger

It was the version I wanted, so if anyone else out there doesn't like the new aHome screen with the two rather useless icons send me a PM and I can forward the apk to you.

9. justjimjpc

Glad that worked for you ....

Has anyone figured out exact what the right (new) button is for ... it brings up a different app tray with a few apps in it but not sure why they are there ???

I like having the original tray back ... it shows more apps per page because it has all the page real-estate ... in the event you are using aHome's docking-bar

---------------------------------

It might have been better if the dev could have make it and option to display the new tray-icons...

PS: you can also PM me for the apk .. I am online almost all the time ...

10. justjimjpc

I just figured it out .... they are the installed/available widgets ...

that can be selected drag and dropped onto you deesktop ...

11. Ageless Stranger

The latest aHome allows me to remove those two icons, before that I found myself having to select No on the "important update" nag screen.

aHome is by far the best Home replacement screen in my opinion, the free version is lacking auto-rotate. Now that would be nice...

12. justjimjpc

I am happy with aHome as well ... would like to see auto-rotate, however this wont be happening in the Free version, as the Dev has said that no further enhancements will be made to it... only bug fixes...

I am not sure if auto-rotate is in the Paid version ??? anyone have Paid and knows the improvements ?

13. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen these yet for some reason...why do you like them? What benefits do they offer?

I have my default 3 screen view though on 1 screen I have a few folders like Games and Utilities.

14. Ageless Stranger

The traditional home screen has three virtually separate desktops, allowing icons and a few widgets to be placed on them. What aHome does is give you more desktops to play with, now while this may not jump out and grab people by the collar coercing them to install it, the developers have given us some better looking widgets to place on our desktop, the weather one being the most prominant. Add to that the ability to change the default icons, in the way of "themes". Not only that, the tab at the bottom of all desktops has been replaced by a row of what you would consider to be your most frequently used apps.

15. dkaufman1

Thanks!

And aHome is in the market and doesn't need a rooted phone? The comments were a bit back and forth.

16. justjimjpc

It does not need a rooted phone ... you made find that the iPhone theme force-closes often but eventually recovers ...

17. dkaufman1

18. benmarvin

benmarvin Well-Known Member

I tried aHome and OpenHome. Still trying to get used to them after using default for so long. But the customization is nice, just wish it was built into Android to begin with.

19. msimoens

msimoens Active Member This Topic's Starter

The paid version does not have auto-rotate yet.

I will say that the Manage Desktop menu item will allow you to do some things that you may want.

First option will put all applications to the desktop and create extra desktops for however many apps you have.

Second option will put the default apps to the desktop and create extra desktops for them.

Third option will clear all apps from the desktops and remove empty desktops. You will be left with the widgets you've added.

Fourth option is the same as the third but will only do it to the current desktop.

Fifth option will clear the widgets from the current desktop.

Sixth option will clear all icons from the dock.

Seventh option will pack all icons, excluding folder icon, of the current desktop into a folder.

They are basically shortcuts. The first two I don't think I'll use unless I'd want an IPhone. The rest are just cleanup options.

20. justjimjpc

Thanks very much for the info

and a great synopsis !! Keep us updated !!

21. Ageless Stranger

I have been downloading the available themes for aHome, and while I am not a star trek geek, the star trek theme has some awesome icons. This whole new front end look is giving me that warm fuzzy feeling I had when I first used the G1.

22. justjimjpc

I found the Calendar and market icon in this theme rather "out there" and glad the text is with the icon or I would never find them !!! :p

23. N3TWORK BURN3R

N3TWORK BURN3R Well-Known Member

Me too, i used openhome for about 3 days and just ended up buying Bettercut and made my own icons for things, now its much better. I also liked the app that changes the background for you in any interval you want. Every time i check my phone, its something new.

24. justjimjpc

Just a Follow-up to let you know .. the latest free version has the ability to turn off the two items you didnt like ( the apps-Tab & the Widget-tab) so you dont have to forego the improvements and fixes...

25. Ageless Stranger

Got it thanks, I got fed up a few days back of the "important update" nag screen and updated. I have the best of both worlds now, I will be paying for this