• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

favorite navigation app?

I just wish you could bring up Google Nav in the 3D view and not be navigating anywhere.

The Google nav is sometimes a pain in the rear to pick a destination.

Sprint navigation is great at picking a destination, but take about a month and a half to start up.

If I'm using my phone to navigate I'll often use use the voice search "find baja fresh" then hit the navigate button from the location I want to go to. This seems to be the quickest. I got flat out pissed at Google Nav trying to navigate to the airport one day. Sprint nav nailed it 1st try.

Upvote 0
The Google's voice does sound like Dr Hawking's Sister.
I heard on the radio they said there was voice downloads for certain brands of GPS'. They played Yoda and Snoop Dog giving directions.
In Yoda's voice: "turn left at the next light, you will". Pretty funny.

Someone deffinately needs to make voice packs for google/sprint nav! I was talking to a friend yesterday about this, hes a soon to be ex-iPhone user. Apparently you could do this on iPhones, how dare he 1 up me!

Upvote 0
I love Telenav/Sprint Nav. You can look up addresses online and plan your trip before you leave at TeleNav - Voice directions on your GPS phone and then sync it to your phone directly from your computer.

This is very convenient because I don't like typing too much on my phone, and it saves me the trouble of remembering what my address is when I actually leave.
Yeah, why not just type it into google maps from your computer?

Go to google maps... type in the address and little bubble pops up on the map with the location you entered, and all you have to do is just click the little star in the popup bubble.. that's it!!!! It's synced to your phone and you are good to go. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

Upvote 0
i prefer google. sprint is kind of funky. we tried it out, and the road we were on is straight, but at a major intersection with a second road that ran at an angle to road we were on, it told us to bear left. not sure why. kind of annoying.

but if you are going to be on I65 for 15 hours, do you really need to even have navigation turned on?

Upvote 0
Yeah, why not just type it into google maps from your computer?

Go to google maps... type in the address and little bubble pops up on the map with the location you entered, and all you have to do is just click the little star in the popup bubble.. that's it!!!! It's synced to your phone and you are good to go. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

I didn't know this about Google Nav (aren't forums great!). I did find on my EVO, the starred ones didn't show up in Google Nav. I had to open Google Maps on it first and then they showed up in the Nav.

Upvote 0
Also if not already stumbled upon, in the labs for Google maps: (menu, more, labs). You can add three I feel real good features. 1st is to add a button on maps that sends you to your "my location", without having to hit menu. Second is when searching for a business, etc... it places a nav button and call button on the found result. Lastly the traffic layer doesn't block the highway, street names. Anything in labs can go away without notice but those three I feel will stay.

Upvote 0
Prefer Google Nav over SprintNav due to ease of use and speed. You can just hit Search from any page, speak a place or address, and it will go to Google Maps then navigation. SprintNav requires separate entry after a lengthy boot-sequence.

I have found SprintNav useful in one situation where GoogleMaps and GNav couldn't find an address. I don't think Google had updated info (the road had recently been redone), but the SprintNav found where I needed to go. I've only used the SprintNav in that one situation so I could probably live without it. I wish it wasn't native to the phone taking up any memory/file space.

Upvote 0
-Browsing the internet on your phone, then seeing an address (in google maps, or even on a web site!) that you want to go to. Then you just hold your finger down on the address and it will give you the option to open it in navigation and take you there! With Sprint nav, you must write down the address on a piece of paper, open sprint nav, then type the address back in.

-The ability to open up your contact list and merely touch the previously entered address of a contact... which then opens Google Nav and takes you there!

Both of these on my EVO asks me which I want to open with (sprint or google nav) on a long press.

I liked the sprint nav feature where it dialed a number, I spoke my destination and it gave me choices. All voice prompts and it sent the address to my phone when I selected it.

I do use google more...but both are pretty good.

Edit-I must be lucky. My Sprint nav is ready to use within about 6 seconds from touching the screen to launch it.

Upvote 0
I feel both are pretty comparable so then I'd try to use the free / multi platform applications so if you ever had to change carriers once year then navigation would never change.

Same reason why I don't use ISP email even when its free. If I ever changed ISP I'd have to change email addresses. Go with the one thats always free, gmail, yahoo, etc.

Upvote 0
With so much intergration in Google Maps - I have chucked my utilitarian Garmin into a desk drawer.

Avoid the update to version 4.3.0 because you can no longer clear the Layers sub-menu of past destinations (unless you don't mind scrolling through the clutter). I uninstalled 4.3.0 and rolled back to 4.1.0 which was released with the EVO. With 4.1.0 you can go to Menu>Applications>Manage Applications>Maps and click the "Clear Data" button. With 4.3.0 - all you can do is "Uninstall Updates".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones