Favorite People disappearing before my eyes

Last Updated:

1. malenga

malenga New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone... First post. I'm a newly-converted former WinMo (Diamond) user. Loving my new Hero, but I've got one issue that is driving me crazy. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing it.

I have my Google Apps account synced via Exchange, for mail, contacts and calendar. When I go to the People app and add a Favorite Person, it will stick for several minutes, then sometimes right before my eyes, it will disappear. This also happens in the People widget. The icon will just *poof* disappear.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with Groups in my contacts in Google Apps. A friend of mine has a Gmail Contacts group called Favorite People, and it's working somehow. Does the Favorite People thing only work with Gmail, as opposed to Mail?

I'm at a loss. Anyone else seeing this?

Advertisement
  2. malenga

Ok I've confirmed when it happens... It's when Exchange syncs. If I add several favorites, then wait a minute or two for it to sync, some or all of them disappear. It usually leaves 1 or 2.

*sigh*

3. malenga

Ok I decided to try a different contacts/dialer app. Installed Phonebook and added some favorites. Lo and behold... it still happens. After syncing with Exchange (Google), most (but not all) of the favorites disappear.

Does anyone know what it is that makes a favorite a favorite? In other words, when a contact gets favorited by Android, does it get added to a group? Trying to figure out how to make this stick.

4. bern_viking

bern_viking Active Member

Hi Malenga

This is driving me cryzy too. Because of work settings, i mainly sync with Outlook (dont blame me, that's just the way it is) and every time i have defined favourites, they disappear after each syncing...

Is this an issue just for the two of us?
    Any workarounds? if possible that dont involve gmail contacts and whatnot?

The interesting thing is that those contacts are still labeled as "HTC Favorite" in the Group list of contacts...

Thanks

5. bern_viking

bern_viking Active Member

OK, found a workaround....
    It seems to work if:
    -you create a category in Outlook called "HTC Favorite"
    -your favourite contacts ONLY have this category, not others like "Friends, Work, etc".

This seems to work for me so far.

Stupid, stupid and one of the things that annoys me about android/google... why can't i just say that outlook (or something else) is the reference, it should sync the stuff and not add its own (why do all my events get notifications when i sync them?)...
    ok, stopping before i really start sounding like an angry old man ;)

6. Jedis

Jedis Active Member

Yeah, this happens on my Hero as well as my parents Droid Eris with Verizon. Unfortunately, we can't blame Sprint for this one!

7. bradb21

bradb21 Active Member

Curious... why would you sync your Google Apps account to an Android phone using EAS? Why not use the native Google sync instead of EAS?

8. Jedis

Jedis Active Member

It doesn't matter what you use. It happens with Google Sync too, on Verizon and Sprint.

9. bradb21

bradb21 Active Member

That's fine... never seen the problem myself. I was just curious why the OP would sync using Activesync to Google when that native Google sync is going to be far superior. Maybe he thought you can't sync to a Apps account or something???