Favorite retro games thread

1. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

Seeing all the new games listed here makes me feel old! i'm only 33 though, but most of my favorite games (still favorite) go back all the way to DOS, CGA graphics, and cheesy PC Speaker sound effects:

My top three favorites:

[​IMG]

1. The Oregon Trail. who couldn't remember that game? in grade school, there was ALWAYS a limited supply of diskettes (the 5.25" floppy kind) in relation to the amount of Apple //e computers. if you were unlucky enough to be in the back of the line, you missed out and had to settle for Number Munchers or Jenny's Journeys...either way, it was fun, and we never took the real-life reference of the game seriously--it was always enter in your friends' names or names of your worst bully and hope they died of the most common reason--dysentery--and enter in some wacky info into the tombstone at the end. only 1 out of 100 plays did we ever make it to Oregon....

[​IMG]

2. Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe (DOS, 1991, Lucasfilm Games) this was perhaps the best first-person combat flight simulator of all time for the day, and still is today (with a proper sound card). back when the Internet was nothing but Prodigy Service (which was only good for homework yawn!) the game was the escape before the days of Youtube and Facebook entered the picture over a decade later. the game was never repetitive, and was able to randomize all the combat missions so well, that you never played the same mission twice. it spawned enemy aircraft, targets, and other elements randomly and gave constant challenge. never too sure how many hours i actually did waste in the end, before the World Wide Web took my time away.

[​IMG]

3. another educational classic often played when i still had my IBM Personal Computer XT, was Super Solvers Midnight Rescue (i had other variants, such as Outnumbered, Treasure Mountain, etc but all retained the same gameplay overall and offered nothing new). the game was quite easy and perhaps i was too old for it even at the time, because i could speed through it rather well, as all you did was photosnap three robots and one had the bad guy in them and that ended the game. you had until midnight and the time ratio was so slow that i was lucky if the game lasted past '9 PM' in the game itself. it started at 6PM. think of this as Carmen Sandiego for little kids...

Advertisement
    :
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

I'd definitely say the Sonic the Hedgehog games, Sonic 3 in particular. Street Fighter 2 maybe? Quake 2? What about the original Deus Ex, does that count as retro?
  3. nickdalzell

Classic Text-Adventure RPG, anyone? Borrowed Time for the Apple //e

[​IMG]

all of four colors--forgot how awful it was...my eyes! oh, my eyes! it burns!
  4. RobocApps

RobocApps New Member

Hello there!

I LOVED playing "Captain America and the Avengers" in Sega Mega Drive (or Genesis as I think it was known in the US). It was such a cool game when it first came out! I still remember the times when you couldn't save the progress of a game and if for whatever reason the console was shut down you had to start again from scratch!
  5. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!! VIP Member

I love Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Sonic The Hedgehog 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Super Mario, Fallout 1, Super Metroid.
  6. Zero Hunter

Zero Hunter Well-Known Member

Oregon Trail is my top retro game. Brings back so much memories as a kid.
  7. Italo

Italo Well-Known Member

I loved Oregon Trail as a kid. Not really a game, but I used to have a Spider-man Cartoon maker program that was awesome.

Two of my favorite games are Super Mario World and Tetris (are those old enough to be retro?).
  8. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

^Yes they are old enough to be retro...I dare anyone to say otherwise....lol.

Zork.

Too many games for the NES, SNES, Atari, Sega systems to mention. Phantasy Star got me into RPG's. I liked the Final Fantasy series, got uninterested after X for the PS2.

Pitfall, Indiana Jones for Atari 2600.

Outrun, Madden on the Sega systems, Tecmo Bowl!!!!, Double Dribble...Metal Gear series...I will probably be adding to this list over the next few months....lol.
  9. nickdalzell

TI Home Computer had some doozys too like Alpiner (with a speech module it used to say quips at your failures such as 'you really walked into that one!') Hunt the Wumpus (a classic take on Minesweeper), Blasto, Burger Time (Data East port) and so on

I had a Sega Genesis when the Nintendo got old, and I remember one good one in particular that started introducing game saves, albeit only if you got so far first, called Vectorman. it was the last of the Genesis days so games really started taking advantage of the hardware then. Donkey Kong Country was the #1 game in our house during its time, it also had save points. in the NES days a 'password' would show at the 'Game Over' screen. took ten years before I figured out it was a save point of some sort, as typing it in a specific menu would resume a previously lost game from the last successful start.
  10. solidsnake13

solidsnake13 Well-Known Member

I remember the classics like the Super Mario Bros series, Tetris, Tecmo Bowl, Oregon Trail, Zelda games on the NES, stuff like that. Favorite classic game outside the really good ones is Shattered Steel for Windows 95. Looking back now it is a terrible game but I loved it back then.

Top 10 classic PC games:
    1. StarCraft
    2. Descent: Free Space
    3. Star Wars: Rebel Alliance
    4. SimCity 3000
    5. High Heat baseball series
    6. Shattered Steel
    7. Descent 2
    8. MechWarrior
    9. Q-Bert
    10. Test Drive
  11. nickdalzell

on the subject of Nintendo, it used to come packaged with a cart for two games in one, the most popular was Mario Bros. the second the lesser-known Duck Hunt. i always remembered hating that dog when he laughed if i missed. i always wished it would let me shoot him! i do know in the coin-op Vs. Duck Hunt in arcades, you could shoot the dog and he'd come out on crutches and bark at you 'Shoot the ducks! not me!'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. PegS

PegS Member

Two Apple games I miss:

Scarab of Ra
    Crystal Quest
  13. jludwig57

jludwig57 Well-Known Member

Super Mario Kart on the N64
  14. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Did any one ever play the Marathon games? I enjoyed Marathon 2, but because they were Mac exclusive, I didn't get the chance to play 1 or 3. :(
  15. SpikyAndroid3

SpikyAndroid3 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't really class this console as old, but I loved the games included in the "Sega: Mega Drive ~ 6-in-1 plug 'n' play" Blue Edition Controller.
    Sega Mega Drive was formally named Sega Genesis in the USA. However, this one doesn't include a game cartridge slot, just plug it in to your TV and play - Thus Six In One

Click "Show" to see of all the games included:~

Featured Games
    This bundle of six games and controller would have set you back nearly
  16. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

I say "retro" should be the 16 bit generation or older, but that's just my opinion.

How about Pitfall on Atari 2600?
  17. scottmog

scottmog Active Member

anything zelda, metroid or castlevania
  18. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

[​IMG]
    jroc likes this.
  19. Meadroidows

Meadroidows Well-Known Member

I remember back when I was in 2nd grade playing the Oregon Trail on my elementary schools computer. I also remember my teacher getting angry cause I was playing the Oregon Trail and not focusing on classwork.

NBA Jam is my favorite retro game, BOOM Shakalaka!
    [​IMG]
  20. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Remember the arcade game Crystal Castles that you played with the trackball? Also Marble Madness with the trackball was fun.
  21. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!! VIP Member

One of my favs is Earthworm Jim. A fun, but bizarre game.
  22. nickdalzell

I remember the NBA Jam era like it were yesterday, forget online multiplayer, all your friends had SNES systems. Ancient LAN party!

Sometimes, I'll fire up Deer Hunter and call out the phrases to make it interesting 'BOOM Shakalaka!'
  23. Mark with a K

Mark with a K Member

a few older games i enjoyed were
    -earthbound (snes)
    -pitfall (atari2600)
    -mech warrior (segasaturn)
    -golden axe (segagenisis)
    -crazy taxi (sega dreamcast)
  24. huh

huh Well-Known Member

OMG! I remember that !! and I'm LOL right now!!
  25. Spec-Kie

Spec-Kie Well-Known Member Contributor

Ow then guys

Just thought i would start up a new one asking what peoples favourite retro game was, and why :D.

i have 2 my are Abes Oddessy for PS1 and Alex the Kid for Sega mega drive,

AO i think because the ps1 was the first real console that i understood and that game was the one that you got free, I just remeber christmas eve when my old man was setting it up for a supprise, Layed in bed listening to him try and play chanting abe for ramdon reasons.

And.

ATK because its just cool as, Rock paper scissors battles on boss levels and ugly frog men, just quality gaming man.

Soo. Whats every one elses??