Favorite Root Applications

Last Updated:

1. Trident

Trident VIP Member VIP Member

What are your favorite applications for the Motorola Droid X that require root access? Please include a brief description of the app and how to get it. I will update the OP with the apps that you post. Thanks! :D
    [QR Codes are hidden, click "show" to see them.]

List of Applications:

Titanium Backup- Backs up everything - can't live with out it. It's available for free on the market. To unlock all features, donate $3.99 within the app. (Requires Busybox - can install from within app)
    Root Explorer- Makes exploring files on your phone easy. It's available for UK

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

+1 Trident, that's a great list already! Already a couple that I didn't know about that I can use on my (already rooted) Eris. Thanks!
  3. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

does cachemate have a widget to place on the home screen for one touch cache clearing?
  4. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Why would we want to clear cache's other than to hide something that is?
  5. swagner53

swagner53 Well-Known Member

Wifi Tether for Root bar none. It really is the sole reason I root.
  6. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

To keep things nice and clean and regain some memory back. The browser cache for example, can get quite large pretty fast. You can regain many MBs of memory for apps by periodically clearing the cache. This is really useful on phones like the Eris that don't have the GBs of space that the X does. Might also make your phone a little more responsive if it doesn't have to manage all of the cache files.
    jreed2560 likes this.
  7. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

SetCpu is still a good root app even without a custom kernel:D
  8. Trident

Yes, it sure does! :)
    Good call. I'll add that one in just a bit.

Edit: Added SetCPU and Temp Monitor.
  9. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

I'm going to try out AutoKiller. I'm not really fond of ATK much anymore. Looks like autokiller is much like Pete's script that adjusts Android's task manager's minfree settings.

Anyone have any suggested settings? The defaults were 42-48-48 and I'm testing 50-60-60 now.
  10. jreed2560

Yeah I hate task killers. What I like about autokiller is that it just fine tunes what android already does naturally
  11. Sheba611

Sheba611 Well-Known Member

Titanium backup can also be used to delete bloatware (just be careful what you delete). I used Shoot Me to take screen shots. Super easy to use. Just start the app, hide it and shake your phone to to take the screen shot.
  12. Gamble

Gamble Well-Known Member

Trident, where in Va Beach are you from?

I live in Glenwood, but I frequent all over the place.
  13. Trident

That's awesome! I'm right by the Oceanfront.. I live in Harbor Point which is right over the Rudee Inlet bridge on the South side.

It's always nice to see some locals on the forums! :)
  14. IamMBS

IamMBS New Member

I just installed WIRED Tether for Root users, but the app says it's incompatible with the kernel on the Droid X. Am I missing something? Has anyone confirmed that WIRED Tether will work on the Droid X?

15. Gamble

Gamble Well-Known Member

I know right where that is. I used to be a manager at the Hilton VBO/Catch 31 from 2005-2009. I also worked at the Va Beach Fishing Center a looong time ago. Nice to see you on here too!

Back on topic, nice app list!
  16. Gamble

Gamble Well-Known Member

I'm trying it now too, I'm using the strict preset, 60-70-80. I'll see how that goes, I might bump it up to aggressive after a bit.
  17. MR_2FNGRZ

MR_2FNGRZ Well-Known Member

I live in Chesterfield, if that counts... lol
  18. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Nope, it doesn't work, but EasyTether and PDAnet do.
  19. droidSPARX

droidSPARX Well-Known Member

drocap2, Wifi tether

forgot about that adblock
  20. Trident

Removed from the list.
  21. jreed2560

when I had it on my rooted Eris I ran it on the highest setting possible and it ran like a dream
  22. Gamble

Gamble Well-Known Member

I'm running it on the "Aggressive" setting, and I'm not sure that I see a difference. My available memory is still hovering around the same number as it did when it was running at default. If I go to the processes tab and manually kill some apps, then it will stay consistently high.

Fabolous, have you noticed a difference in running yours?
  23. isasdroid

isasdroid New Member

I was tethering (using pdanet) just fine until I upgraded the software that came in on my cell (Eris HTC Droid) now it doesnt work anymore. Someone please tell me what to do in order to fix this. Thanks
  24. aldo

aldo Well-Known Member

I find shootme to be much easier/nicer for SS than drocap.
  25. serpa4

serpa4 Well-Known Member

Where is: Wireless Tether for Root Users
    I've found it on my android market, and loaded using your bar code...but
    cannot find it on my PC in the market. Why, I keep a book mark of all my apps so when I have to get a new phone, I have a link to the 100+ apps I have installed. Went from Dinc to DX and forgot about 1/2 the apps I had installed and spent days looking for them. Anyone have a link to it on the market, specifically AndroLib.