• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Favorite third-party keyboard?

That's really odd, I went from paid to free too, and have never had even one ad nor have I ever heard anyone mention it before even in the Super Swiftkey thread over at XDA. You double dog sure it's Swiftkey that's giving you the ads and not something else??

Swiftkey is fine, but since it went free (I paid for it) there has been a spate of ads. You may need to tweak the settings to eliminate intrusive messages.

Upvote 0
I've used Swype keyboard (paid version) for a couple of years. I don't think it is as good as it once was, but it's my favorite. I really like the custom auto text of Smart Keyboard but it doesn't offer Swype functionality. I wish someone would develop a keyboard with both Swype functionality and custom auto text.

Upvote 0
What is "custom auto text" Johnny?

I've used Swype keyboard (paid version) for a couple of years. I don't think it is as good as it once was, but it's my favorite. I really like the custom auto text of Smart Keyboard but it doesn't offer Swype functionality. I wish someone would develop a keyboard with both Swype functionality and custom auto text.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Since some wise guy (or girl) mentioned it recently in another thread & I hadn't tried it, I tried the Google keyboard & now I've been going back & forth between it & SwiftKey. I like them both & wish they'd combine forces to be the most awesome keyboard of them all :cool:.

Here's what I like & don't like about each:
Google keyboard: Pro: Really accurate swipe to type results, but you can't delete any oddball words that show up in predictions. Con: I don't *think* it learns your personal dictionary by scanning your g+, Facebook and Gmail typing history, so it's as smart as it's going to get. I also noticed that if I want to make a small variation to a word (like add an "s" or "ed" to a predicted word I chose), if I backspace it deletes the entire word... I'm not a fan of that behavior.
SwiftKey: Pro: Learns from other things you type so the predictions change over time & improve based on your word usage. You can remove the strange & wonderful (aka "weird) words that pop up in predictions that you'll never use. If you want to modify a predicted word, you can easily backspace & add/remove letters, it doesn't remove the word that's already there. I like this a lot. Con: Swiping to type is reasonably accurate but at least for me, it's a little less accurate than the Google keyboard.

I don't care too much about skins, I'm all about functionality. Overall I prefer SwiftKey but I'm going to keep the Google keyboard around & check periodically to see if it's improved more to my liking. I've also decided that I won't willingly ever go back to a keyboard that won't let me swipe to type!

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Since some wise guy (or girl) mentioned it recently in another thread & I hadn't tried it, I tried the Google keyboard & now I've been going back & forth between it & SwiftKey. I like them both & wish they'd combine forces to be the most awesome keyboard of them all :cool:.

Here's what I like & don't like about each:
Google keyboard: Pro: Really accurate swipe to type results, but you can't delete any oddball words that show up in predictions. Con: I don't *think* it learns your personal dictionary by scanning your g+, Facebook and Gmail typing history, so it's as smart as it's going to get. I also noticed that if I want to make a small variation to a word (like add an "s" or "ed" to a predicted word I chose), if I backspace it deletes the entire word... I'm not a fan of that behavior.
SwiftKey: Pro: Learns from other things you type so the predictions change over time & improve based on your word usage. You can remove the strange & wonderful (aka "weird) words that pop up in predictions that you'll never use. If you want to modify a predicted word, you can easily backspace & add/remove letters, it doesn't remove the word that's already there. I like this a lot. Con: Swiping to type is reasonably accurate but at least for me, it's a little less accurate than the Google keyboard.

I don't care too much about skins, I'm all about functionality. Overall I prefer SwiftKey but I'm going to keep the Google keyboard around & check periodically to see if it's improved more to my liking. I've also decided that I won't willingly ever go back to a keyboard that won't let me swipe to type!
Man I really have to try n learn to swipe some day! I'm only just learning where the keys are though so it may take a while :D

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0
I've tried a ton of keyboards and always tend to come back to swype. No other ones are as good at knowing what you're trying to swype. Also, I love having the copy and paste shortcuts (swype+c +v +x), and the number pad shortcut (swype + 5). I use an xposed module called swype tweaks to get rid of dragon and replace it with google's built in voice input and also to change colors (e.g., I make the alternate symbols visible on the keys in the new material themes).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones