• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Favorite widgets? (not apps)

Droid421

Nov 6, 2009
What are your favorite home screen widgets? There are plenty of lists of favorite apps but I prefer the on screen functionality of widgets without having to open the app. Here's what I am using so far:

Pandora
S2 Calendar
gTasks
MixZing
MotoTorch
Weather Forecast

If clicking the widget just opens the program then to me it's not really a widget even if the program creates an entry in the add widgets menu. So what are your favorites?

What are your favorite home screen widgets? There are plenty of lists of favorite apps but I prefer the on screen functionality of widgets without having to open the app. Here's what I am using so far:

Pandora
S2 Calendar
gTasks
MixZing
MotoTorch
Weather Forecast

If clicking the widget just opens the program then to me it's not really a widget even if the program creates an entry in the add widgets menu. So what are your favorites?

My favorites are already in your list. My other one is facebook. (Even though I'm not 14....that was in reference to a post from yesterday by someone else.)

Upvote 0
My favorites are already in your list. My other one is facebook. (Even though I'm not 14....that was in reference to a post from yesterday by someone else.)

I use the Facebook app quite a bit myself but I don't care for the widget, not enough functionality and I find myself having to open the app half the time. BTW, I'm 30 and use Facebook. It's not just for kids. MySpace on the other hand....

Upvote 0
I use the Facebook app quite a bit myself but I don't care for the widget, not enough functionality and I find myself having to open the app half the time. BTW, I'm 30 and use Facebook. It's not just for kids. MySpace on the other hand....

I'm way over 30 and have to be on facebook to keep up with my kids. As an educator, it has been invaluable in keeping up with former students. It's a very powerful tool when used correctly. :)

Upvote 0
Photo Frame Deluxe - much more advanced than the limited frame widget that come with android

Twidget - A simple yet functional and attractive twitter client

AudioManager - A display for the current audio settings

FINALLY someone that puts a description with the Widgets. Thank you.

ones that haven't been mentioned that i like using

Weather Donate - Weather/Clock. Much better than the Beautiful Widgets weather. You can custumize the font and background picture.

Beautiful Widgets - Turns certain features on or off. Along with a weather widget/clock.

More Icons - Adds small pictures of app icons for saving space on your screen.

Weather Bug - more weather. like the alerts and temp in notification bar.

Upvote 0
Battery Time Pro Only $0.99, displays the battery % left and how much time u have left on ur phone doing different activities if u click it.

MotoTorch Turns LED on/off

Weather Channel Displays temp/warnings/conditions

Power Manager Turn on/off gps, wifi, etc

TuneWiki / Pandora Displays song playing and basic controls.

Color Note Sticky Notes

Upvote 0
On my various home screens...these have stood the test of time (several weeks, anyway...) :)

Android 2.1 News and Weather - Displays weather, news, or news and weather. I use it in News mode, shows news stories headlines, tap to open and have access to full range of stories. Add your own categories...very simple yet very cool. Only thing missing for me is zoom when reading stories (small print!).

CalWidget - clean and simple display of Google and Exchange calendar, many sizes available. Shows one or more days worth of events (depends on how full your calendar is and what size widget you choose). Great for a quick view at your current/next days' appointments...really can't imagine not having this available.

MoreIcons - allows you to double, triple, and "fourple" up the number of apps per icon on your home screen. I've assigned two programs to several icons - e.g., top 1/2 of one icon space is Gmail, bottom half is Email. Great feature to save space on your home screen, easy to use.

Network Widget - tells you the current network status of your phone, shows whether you're connected to VZW or to a wireless network. Seems simple, but it's quite nice to have confirmation on your home screen that you're connected (or not) to a wireless network w/out having to go view wireless settings.

Conversation - Only available w/the GDE home replacement app. Shows entries for recent phone/SMS activities in scrollable list (normal widgets don't scroll - GDE enhancement). You can select items to contact person. Really cool and really useful to follow-up on recent conversations.

MountUSB - Single click on icon on home screen to mount/unmount SD card when connected via USB. Allows you to use your SD card on your phone when connected via USB.

Beautiful Home (part of Beautiful Widgets) - Still using the last pre-Cease & Desist version, flip clock w/weather. As the name says, beautiful (and functional!). Love it.

Built-in Facebook widget - I know some people are negative on this one, but it works for me, simple and easy to use.

Built-in Music player widget - same as on the Facebook widget.

Aldiko - More a shortcut than a widget - allows you to place a shortcut to an eBook on your home page. Remembers your page, you can drop in and out the book at will from your home screen.

Ring Toggle - Not really a widget, but it's a key icon on my home page. One click allows you to set all sounds/notifications to both sound/vibrate, sound, vibrate, or silent/no vibrate.

Upvote 0
In no particular order:

Google Search - stock widget. Tap the mic icon, talk and search. A no brainer.

Beautiful Widgets - (the latest version) - Time and weather right on the homepage. Tap the weather for animated weather and forecast. Tap the time for Google calendar.

YouTube - stock widget, it works. Still on my home screen.

facebook - stock widget, one of the 4 ways I facebook. :eek: The widget is the fastest way to update your status.

Power Control Widget - stock widget. I keep trying other widgets for these functions, but keep returning to this one. 5 controls on a single line.

Quick Settings - Still trying this one. It just might take over for the stock Power Control Widget above.

Volume Control - allows me to change my ringer volume while I'm listening to and viewing Pandora.

Beautiful Silent - part of Beautiful widgets, quiets all sound with a single tap.

MotoTorch LED - flashlight widget, uses the camera's LEDs (Bright!).

flashlight - uses the screen and is nice for times when you just need a little light.

Upvote 0
I almost forgot about notification bar icons. There are a few good apps that reside in the notification bar for quick access without having to have an icon on the desktop.

Systray Monitor - Icon can be set to show available RAM, SD card memory, Battery or internal memory. Drag down notification bar and you can see the rest of the stats without opening a program.

Quick Settings - Customizable settings manager that can be run as a widget, notification bar icon or app.

Upvote 0
astrid ~ to do list that integrates with the calendar, brilliant!

calwidget~ calendar view list, many sizes

sticky memo widget~ perfect post it note widget! many sizes.

more icons~ put 3 apps in place of one (free version)

handcent widget~ has a counter on it for # of unread texts

power control~ on/off switch for wifi, bluetooth, gps, data, and 3 brightness levels

weather widgets donate~ clock and weather, skinnable

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones