Favorite widgets? (not apps)

Last Updated:

1. Droid421

Droid421 Active Member This Topic's Starter

What are your favorite home screen widgets? There are plenty of lists of favorite apps but I prefer the on screen functionality of widgets without having to open the app. Here's what I am using so far:

Pandora
    S2 Calendar
    gTasks
    MixZing
    MotoTorch
    Weather Forecast

If clicking the widget just opens the program then to me it's not really a widget even if the program creates an entry in the add widgets menu. So what are your favorites?

Advertisement
  2. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

My favorites are already in your list. My other one is facebook. (Even though I'm not 14....that was in reference to a post from yesterday by someone else.)

3. ItalianScallion

ItalianScallion Well-Known Member

CalWidget - I find it indispensable

4. Droid421

CalWidget looks pretty good but I like S2s integration with the google calendar.

5. Droid421

Anyone know how to edit the native power setting widget to display controls for other settings?

6. Droid421

I use the Facebook app quite a bit myself but I don't care for the widget, not enough functionality and I find myself having to open the app half the time. BTW, I'm 30 and use Facebook. It's not just for kids. MySpace on the other hand....

7. ItalianScallion

ItalianScallion Well-Known Member

CalWidget pulls your Google calendar info as well.

8. CrackberryMike

CrackberryMike Active Member

the WHERE widget...:cool:

9. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

I'm way over 30 and have to be on facebook to keep up with my kids. As an educator, it has been invaluable in keeping up with former students. It's a very powerful tool when used correctly. :)

10. nate94gt

nate94gt Active Member

the way i want to take that post... is probably not the way you perceived it. If it is, then i want you as a teacher :p

11. RadYOacTiVe

RadYOacTiVe Well-Known Member

These are the widgets i'm currently using:

Picture Frame
    Beautiful Widgets
    Astrid, Task Manager
    Tunewiki, Music Player
    MotoTorch, LED Flashlight
    Mini Info, Battery/Internal Memory/SD Memory Status
    Pure Grid Calendar
    Taskpanel Task Killer
    VizBattery Battery Status

12. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

Battery Left Beta- Works quite well and doesn't kill my battery. It just takes a few straight days to calibrate based on your usage

13. Bg8780

Bg8780 Active Member

Nevermind

14. rgrandy

rgrandy Member

Photo Frame Deluxe - much more advanced than the limited frame widget that come with android

Twidget - A simple yet functional and attractive twitter client

AudioManager - A display for the current audio settings

15. holmgren

holmgren Well-Known Member

FINALLY someone that puts a description with the Widgets. Thank you.

ones that haven't been mentioned that i like using

Weather Donate - Weather/Clock. Much better than the Beautiful Widgets weather. You can custumize the font and background picture.

Beautiful Widgets - Turns certain features on or off. Along with a weather widget/clock.

More Icons - Adds small pictures of app icons for saving space on your screen.

Weather Bug - more weather. like the alerts and temp in notification bar.

16. lemodular

lemodular Well-Known Member

Pure calendar transparent mode with white text looks great on my dark background.
    Home++ Flip Clock and Calendar -
    Weather and News from the 2.1 OS.
    Battery Widget not sure if its the best one out there.
    Power Manager stock widget

17. guthix12

guthix12 New Member

Battery Time Pro Only $0.99, displays the battery % left and how much time u have left on ur phone doing different activities if u click it.

MotoTorch Turns LED on/off

Weather Channel Displays temp/warnings/conditions

Power Manager Turn on/off gps, wifi, etc

TuneWiki / Pandora Displays song playing and basic controls.

Color Note Sticky Notes

18. Joewoowoo

Joewoowoo Well-Known Member

go to the market and type in curvefish , they make some great widgets such as , volume , screen brightness, bluetooth, wifi, vibrate, battery life, gps and bunches more. enjoy

19. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

On my various home screens...these have stood the test of time (several weeks, anyway...) :)

Android 2.1 News and Weather - Displays weather, news, or news and weather. I use it in News mode, shows news stories headlines, tap to open and have access to full range of stories. Add your own categories...very simple yet very cool. Only thing missing for me is zoom when reading stories (small print!).

CalWidget - clean and simple display of Google and Exchange calendar, many sizes available. Shows one or more days worth of events (depends on how full your calendar is and what size widget you choose). Great for a quick view at your current/next days' appointments...really can't imagine not having this available.

MoreIcons - allows you to double, triple, and "fourple" up the number of apps per icon on your home screen. I've assigned two programs to several icons - e.g., top 1/2 of one icon space is Gmail, bottom half is Email. Great feature to save space on your home screen, easy to use.

Network Widget - tells you the current network status of your phone, shows whether you're connected to VZW or to a wireless network. Seems simple, but it's quite nice to have confirmation on your home screen that you're connected (or not) to a wireless network w/out having to go view wireless settings.

Conversation - Only available w/the GDE home replacement app. Shows entries for recent phone/SMS activities in scrollable list (normal widgets don't scroll - GDE enhancement). You can select items to contact person. Really cool and really useful to follow-up on recent conversations.

MountUSB - Single click on icon on home screen to mount/unmount SD card when connected via USB. Allows you to use your SD card on your phone when connected via USB.

Beautiful Home (part of Beautiful Widgets) - Still using the last pre-Cease & Desist version, flip clock w/weather. As the name says, beautiful (and functional!). Love it.

Built-in Facebook widget - I know some people are negative on this one, but it works for me, simple and easy to use.

Built-in Music player widget - same as on the Facebook widget.

Aldiko - More a shortcut than a widget - allows you to place a shortcut to an eBook on your home page. Remembers your page, you can drop in and out the book at will from your home screen.

Ring Toggle - Not really a widget, but it's a key icon on my home page. One click allows you to set all sounds/notifications to both sound/vibrate, sound, vibrate, or silent/no vibrate.

20. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

In no particular order:

Google Search - stock widget. Tap the mic icon, talk and search. A no brainer.

Beautiful Widgets - (the latest version) - Time and weather right on the homepage. Tap the weather for animated weather and forecast. Tap the time for Google calendar.

YouTube - stock widget, it works. Still on my home screen.

facebook - stock widget, one of the 4 ways I facebook. :eek: The widget is the fastest way to update your status.

Power Control Widget - stock widget. I keep trying other widgets for these functions, but keep returning to this one. 5 controls on a single line.

Quick Settings - Still trying this one. It just might take over for the stock Power Control Widget above.

Volume Control - allows me to change my ringer volume while I'm listening to and viewing Pandora.

Beautiful Silent - part of Beautiful widgets, quiets all sound with a single tap.

MotoTorch LED - flashlight widget, uses the camera's LEDs (Bright!).

flashlight - uses the screen and is nice for times when you just need a little light.

21. Droid421

I almost forgot about notification bar icons. There are a few good apps that reside in the notification bar for quick access without having to have an icon on the desktop.

Systray Monitor - Icon can be set to show available RAM, SD card memory, Battery or internal memory. Drag down notification bar and you can see the rest of the stats without opening a program.

Quick Settings - Customizable settings manager that can be run as a widget, notification bar icon or app.

22. mdevine

mdevine Well-Known Member

I am looking for a widget that shows me unread emails in my exchange email. I have one today that I use with Touchdown, but I would prefer to move away from TD if possible.

Any ideas?

23. IamReady

IamReady Well-Known Member

I have been looking for this as well... also one for Gmail would be nice... :D

24. v-6 nolo

v-6 nolo Well-Known Member

^^ pure messenger widget will do gmail but not exchange.

i use pure calender widget and pure grid calender a ton, other widgets come and go.

25. ceruti82

ceruti82 Well-Known Member

astrid ~ to do list that integrates with the calendar, brilliant!

calwidget~ calendar view list, many sizes

sticky memo widget~ perfect post it note widget! many sizes.

more icons~ put 3 apps in place of one (free version)

handcent widget~ has a counter on it for # of unread texts

power control~ on/off switch for wifi, bluetooth, gps, data, and 3 brightness levels

weather widgets donate~ clock and weather, skinnable