Fax via Nexus One?

Last Updated:

1. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way to receive fax documents via our phones? Im only seeing apps to send faxes in the app market. this isn't really a huge deal, just a convenience thing. I'm on tmo if it helps.
    thanks!

Advertisement
  2. jcmtyler

jcmtyler Well-Known Member

You could check out the various fax-to-email services like efax.com

3. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

thanks! i'll look in to that!

4. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

I use K7 for my incoming faxes. If you decide to sign up for one of these services, be aware of what format they use to email the fax. K7 uses the native fax format, TIFF. Although the inline Gmail viewer, ASTRO, Gallery, and B&B Gallery can all display a TIFF file, they all only show the first page with no way to see the subsequent pages. I haven't found a picture viewer on Android that handles multi-page TIFF files. Other electronic fax companies (I've heard) send you PDFs instead of TIFFs, which shouldn't give you any problems.

5. WishBone

WishBone Member

Try maxemail.com I've been using it for years and it's much cheaper than Efax and can send your faxes in PDF format to your email, which you can then read on your phone.

Have not had any problem with their service, but I don't send or receive a lot of faxes.

6. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

I wrote to the developer of B&B Gallery about support for multi-page TIFF files, and they replied that they will be adding this facility. No time frame was mentioned, but they did say that they would email me when it is available, so hopefully it won't be too long of a wait. That's great news, because I already use B&B Gallery to avoid the problem the stock gallery on the N1 has with limited resolution in their display of photos. In the meantime, I can see the first page of my faxes, at least, so I know whether I need to look at them immediately on my laptop or if they can wait. (BTW, I use K7 because it does both fax and voicemail for free, so that's worth putting up with a little inconvenience, considering the small number of faxes I have to deal with.)

7. GeneMN

GeneMN New Member

Similar issue that eFax doesn't handle. I need to use my Android as a phone line to connect to my HP Fax/Copier. Are there USB to phone jack adapters that will allow me to do that? Web search misses the mark....

8. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

9. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

Don't count on it. Fax traffic is VERY susceptible to noise on the phone line, and I don't think that a cellular connection is going to fair well enough to be able to reliably send/receive faxes. It's the same problem with faxing over VoIP (though you might be able to get around it with T.38).