• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fear of Spy App

Hi folks,

I have a question in regard to spy apps and the possibility that one may be on my phone... I'm sorry if this isn't the right place/forum to ask this, but I just made this account and have yet to entirely familiarize myself with the rules and regulations of this website.

But anyway, being spied on has happened to me in the past, but I got a new smartphone (T-Mobile MyTouch Q) and hoped it wouldn't happen again, but continue to err on the side of caution. I have a couple concerns that I would like to address and hopefully receive information on.

There is a bloatware app on my phone called "T-Mobile Mall", and I've been suspicious of it because it's service is known as an "OSEngineProcess", which starts automatically at boot, and reactivates whenever I enable data and connect to 4G (I usually disable it when not in use and use the "2g only" option)... It makes no sense to me that it would be considered an OS Engine Process, considering it is just a stupid useless bloatware app, and it makes no sense that it'd start and almost always be active.

That just made me suspicious. To elaborate on my concern, I also bought an app called "PrivacyScanner Pro 13" which scans for spy apps and has InDepthScan-Technology to detect more stealthy spy apps. Upon using this, it labeled both "T-Mobile Mall" and my Lookout security app as Heuristic apps.

I'm hoping they're both false positives, but I'm worried about spyware/malware that disguises itself... One of those obfuscation apps, or whatever they're called.

The PrivacyScanner Pro app labeled part of the Lookout app as "Backdoor.Androrat.a", and labeled the T-Mobile mall app as "Generic.SpyMonitor.a"

These are both bloatware apps that came with the phone, and I have tried to do my own research into this matter, but have come up with nothing... I'm concerned about possible spyware or remote access tools, or anything that invades my privacy and steals data from my phone. There have been instances that support my theory of my phone being tapped into, I'm just not sure how to stop it, prevent it, or detect it. I need to find proof.

Currently on my phone I use Hornet AntiVirus, Dr. Web Light, and Lookout Security Premium. None of them detect anything, but I often question their actual usefulness. If someone wants to spy/hack/access my phone, I am absolutely positive that there are ways around these so-called security apps.

Again, I have been a victim of spyapps of some sort before, where all of my text messages were received, phone calls were recorded or listened in on, and phone was used as a speaker phone to listen in on my surroundings. I don't want to have to deal with this BS anymore. I may just be paranoid at this point, but is it any wonder? I don't want to be spied on again.

I have been very careful and have never let anyone use my phone, and I take as many precautions as I possibly can, but I still don't feel safe. There are still signs that point to being spied on, and I want to know if these apps are potentially invasive... Also, any information on making my phone more secure, or ways to look into my phone to see if anything is out of place/suspicious, would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for any and all help!

hey mate. Welcome to the community.
I dont mean to be offensive but your past experience has made you paranoid i think. If you dont let anyone use your phone and you only install apps from trusted sources then i VERY much doubt that you have anything dodgy on your phone.
Normally id tell anyone who is worried to do a factory reset but since this bloatware is a system app, a reset wont remove it and unless youre rooted, all your system apps came from the manufacturer and the carrier.
So if you bought the phone new, please just relax :beer:
You could disable the tmo app if you want (if it lets you) and i think the AV scans were false positives.
Android is a VERY secure OS if youre sensible about what you choose to install :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Hi there, and welcome to Android Forums!

I want to share a post with you, but before you open it and begin to read; the reason I'm sharing it with you is so you'll understand a bit more about how Android works in regards to apps running in the background and restarting after you kill them etc. The post isn't meant to school you on weather or not to use a task killer (even though that's really what the post is about. Consider it extra knowledge :) ).

http://androidforums.com/android-applications/335110-why-you-dont-need-task-killer.html#post2681361

Here's another good read about permissions and how to handle them; http://androidforums.com/android-ap...explained-security-tips-avoiding-malware.html

If it were me in your shoes and considering what's happened to you, I would root my phone and install a custom rom (a bare bones rom sounds about like what you would need). You will have more control over what is on your phone and what apps are allowed to do.

I'm sure others will have more advice for you that you can actually use, and I hope you are able to securely lock down your device so that you are able to relax again. Nothing worse than having someone with their nose all up in your affairs.

We're here if you need us.

Reactions: Arphilj
Upvote 0
And SuperAntiSpyware always lists cookies as malware.

Petrah is right - rooting would get rid of TMO stuff. I started rooting to can some of the bloat. Most of TMO's bloat is more of a pain and some tracking rather than truly malicious. A lot don't like it.

If you feel that insecure, I would only do banking and anything highly personal on a pc behind a secure router or use Linux. If all they can find is music you like and some videos, that shouldn't give too much info.

I'm not being snarky, I do all my banking and purchasing on a Linux box. My object is more to be a royal pain to those who think I should spill all. I do not use EXIF info on my pictures, so no location. However, my latitude and longitude is available. Too much hassle to turn GPS on and off for Sky Safari and Mobile Observatory.

Read the TOS of whatever you download. I've changed my mind on reading some.
I have paid software that does require some permissions that I'd rather it didn't, but the dev was on the real up and up and explained why it needed the permission. In my case, it needed a certain permission to talk to a go-to telescope.

Watch your social networking if you do it. Check permissions.

I'm not sure about contacts. I don't sync mine, I back up the vcf files and edit those.

I don't bother deleting texts right away. I do delete payment receipts from TMO. Don't know if you have a family plan or not, but if you do, TMO sends a paid receipt to everyone on your plan with text.

Reactions: matty16abbie05
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones