Features of rooting?

Last Updated:

1. jc123

jc123 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Im thinking about switching from my iphone to an evo is rooting like jailbreaking? And i thought android was open source so i dont get why you need to root? cant your get free apps, theming, and everything without rooting?

Advertisement
  2. Ramer84015

Ramer84015 Well-Known Member

Rooting is like having "admin" rights on your phone. It opens it up to being able to do things that a non-rooted phone can't. I would suggest reading, reading and then reading the forums on this subject. I finally rooted about 2 weeks ago using unrevoked's 1 click method. Just read and follow all instructions, took all of about 10 minutes to root. I haven't tried any custom roms yet, but all I wanted was wireless tethering, which is working great.

jc123 likes this.
  3. jc123

yes that is the only thing i know i want. what unrevok do u use the unrevoked3 or forever? and then can you give me a link to how i get the wireless tethering? thanks

4. offtheRIM

offtheRIM Well-Known Member

Search button is your friend..so am I :) Here

jc123 likes this.
  5. jc123

thanks but ramber is that the program u used bc 2 comments on there said it didnt work on evo 2.2

6. offtheRIM

offtheRIM Well-Known Member

I'm using the 3.2 "1 click" version and it works fine.
    Make sure to look Hereif tether doesn't work for you. I just installed pre9 and now works with my WinXP.
    GL

7. Ramer84015

Ramer84015 Well-Known Member

I downloaded the file from this link:
    [ROOT] unrEVOked 3.2: one-click root for Froyo, no downgrading - Page 11 - xda-developers
    Post number 108. Make sure you go back to post number 1 in the same thread and follow "all" the instructions. As for wireless tether, I found the app in the app store did not work on my Evo, so I did a google search and downloaded the .apk for the Evo, even though it said it was for 2.1 and not Froyo, it worked perfectly. Here's the link for the wireless tether .apk:
    android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code