• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Fed up. Phone's not detected via USB on any PC!

Can you browse the SD card via the Droid? Power off the phone, remove the battery, and re-seat the SD card. Power on the phone, and try again.

Much to my surprise and delight, this worked! Even the "dodgy" cable now works. Battery light is on, phone charges from plug and PC, and perhaps best of all, Moto Phone Portal automatically starts and detects everything!

Many many thanks everyone! :D

Upvote 0
this is a common problem on work computers because of the numerous network drives we all have linked to our work computers. which essentially means that there are no currently available drive letters to be assigned to your phone when you plug it into your computer. but relax - it's easily fixable. do a google search on how to assign drive letters on windows xp (assuming you're using xp). you can go in and assign extra drive letters.

I had this same problem with my phone (currently a blackberry) and my mp3 player. and now they both hook up to my work computer fine :)

Thanks a LOT jmt9779. this was driving me crazy. Worked like a charm. Googled how to change dirve letters on xp. Found the microsoft link and followed the instructions. It was pretty simple. Just go to control panel-> administrative tools -> computer management-> storage ->disk management

Once I reached this stage I noticed my phone sd card was being detected. the problem was that it was being assigned a drive letter that was already in use by another network drive. I just right clicked on it and the option to 'change drive letter' popped up. Changed to an unused drive letter and BAM .. phone showed up as a removable disk in windows explorer.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: johnlgalt
Upvote 0
I had this same exact problem. Drove me nuts. Read somewhere that there might be a conflict with iTunes. Fortunately, my iTunes is on an external hard drive. I unplugged it, reloaded the HTC Sync software and it booted right up with no errors. If you can somehow 'disable' iTunes, or disconnect any external hard drives, give it a shot. It might work for you like it did me. Good luck!!!

Upvote 0
Also found the connection problem frustrating. Could not connect as disk drive, and received "USB device not recognized." But the phone was charging. Eventually tried another cable, and now everything works. Misleading because the cable was okay for charging. Appears that some cables may be mischievous but not totally rotten.

Upvote 0
I was having this same issue with my new Moto Droid RAZR MAXX. I was using an older cable that I had always used with my original Moto Droid. I tried the cable that came with my MAXX and BOOM! It worked just like it was supposed to :D :D!! Upon closer inspection of the cables, I can't find any noticeable differences... same pin locations & numbers... but the one with the MAXX is a hair thicker. Wierd :mad:. But it synced up instantly with my PC (Win 7 x64bit)

Upvote 0
Hi
My Samsung Galaxy S1 was just fine connecting with Kies etc till the last Kies Update. Since then I am getting the 'USB device not recognised' message when I connect to my PC(Windows XP) or laptop (Win 7).

I have 1) unistalled and reinstalled Kies
2) unistalled and reinstalled Samsung USB Mobile drivers
3) tried a new microusb USB cable
4) tried to connect in the debugging mode with phone st to connect as mass storage

Nothing works.
Can anbody help Please.

Thandla;)

Upvote 0
  • Samsung Galaxy S1 Vibrant GT-I9000M ;
  • Firmware version: 2.1-update1
  • Baseband version: I9000UGJH2
  • Kernel version: 2.6.29 darae.ahn@sep-20 #2
  • Build number: ECLAIR.UGJH2
  • Windows XP Home
I am having sort of the same problem. I have tried multiple cables and it wants to charge the phone, but it does not want to go any further than that. A little pop-up appears saying:

• "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it"

...and when I click it, double click the bold "Unknown Device", it says:

• "No drivers are installed for this device."

I updated the pc 10-ways-from-sunday.
I installed and re-installed Kies.
I installed/re-installed the drivers numerous times.
I installed KiesMini, along with multiple driver install/reinstalls.
KiesAir works great, but I cannot upgrade firmware or anything.

I am at my wits end with this...

Upvote 0
Same problem as others on a Galaxy Gt i9000.
Further information. If I run any type of USB diagnoses software (USB diagnostics V1.02) I get a report telling me that the USB hub drivers are missing (on the phone not the PC), any suggestions?

The same software works fine on my other Samsung Android phone and 10.1 Tab

Upvote 0
  • Samsung Galaxy S1 Vibrant GT-I9000M ;
  • Firmware version: 2.1-update1
  • Baseband version: I9000UGJH2
  • Kernel version: 2.6.29 darae.ahn@sep-20 #2
  • Build number: ECLAIR.UGJH2
  • Windows XP Home
I am having sort of the same problem. I have tried multiple cables and it wants to charge the phone, but it does not want to go any further than that. A little pop-up appears saying:

• "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it"

...and when I click it, double click the bold "Unknown Device", it says:

• "No drivers are installed for this device."

I updated the pc 10-ways-from-sunday.
I installed and re-installed Kies.
I installed/re-installed the drivers numerous times.
I installed KiesMini, along with multiple driver install/reinstalls.
KiesAir works great, but I cannot upgrade firmware or anything.

I am at my wits end with this...

I was having the problem on my Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant where the phone would charge but if I connected to a pc it would say the usb device malfunctioned. I did all sorts of things including trying on multiple computers, different usb cables, factory reset, and even dismantled my phone and re-heated the solder joints on the micro usb connector and none of that fixed it.

Eventually I got it fixed by inserting a tiny jewelers flat head screw driver into the very narrow side of the micro usb port on the phone and very gently bent the piece in the middle so the contact points would be bent towards the contact points on the usb cable. I cannot even tell that the piece moved but evidently it bent just enough to improve the contact points. Hope this ends up helping other people with this problem.

I was considering sending my phone out for the $35 micro usb repair from mobiletechvideos but now I don't have to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones