• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fed up with Desire now.

With the advent of this "trick", I seriously don't know what all the fuss is about now.
I'll admit that after updating to Froyo, I still felt a little cheated over the new App2SD functionality, and though it did help, I still wound up with low memory warnings after a while.

But after performing this, I can literally go wild on the Market. I now have almost 85 downloaded apps/games, and my phone's not even rooted.

Upvote 0
The original version, now called a2sd+ is a hack. Many custom roms include it and some rooting guides tell you how to install it as an extra.

Google recognised the error of their ways, and decided to create a2sd on froyo, however its not as good.

Do you know if there's a thread or an article somewhere that lists how the 2 different versions work? I want to be able to understand how come 1 is better than the other....thanks !!!!

Upvote 0
Do you know if there's a thread or an article somewhere that lists how the 2 different versions work? I want to be able to understand how come 1 is better than the other....thanks !!!!

This question was answered from an earlier post: http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/178487-fed-up-desire-now.html#post1603448

Hint: good idea to read the whole thread first ;)

This is a running list that one of the members is doing of all the Apps2SD enabled apps: http://androidforums.com/android-applications/105650-froyo-apps-2-sd-list.html

Upvote 0
Ive actually found something the other day which makes me laugh when people are complainig about network software on the desire.

A standard desire (orange branded) has 139mb free memory from the box

Most custom roms have <135mb internal memory with standard Froyo A2SD

So its not all that little amount of space. Although A2SD+ is the best part of rooting a Desire

Upvote 0
One more quick question for you experts. If I root my Desire on 2.1 in order to use APPS2SD+ while I wait for the official Froyo release from Telus will I have any issues installing it once its released?

Or if I installed a custom rom or even the official froyo release for the desire (non-branded) would I be able to receive the update from telus somehow?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Not under vanilla Eclair it doesn't...

Good point. I've got HTC's unbranded 2.2.

Angry Birds was over 11 MB to download and when I noticed it had been installed to my SD card the app manager only shows it as being 1.48 MB in size. In fact all the apps on the SD card display sizes smaller than when they were on internal memory, so I assume the sizes displayed under the SD card section are the amount of internal memory each of these apps still needs.

I can't find any of the files for apps that have been moved or install to the SD card. I'm using EStrong with hidden files enabled.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I wasn't too confident about that particular learning-curve, plus my phone's only a few months old so I wanted the warranty. The RUU avoids all that, doesn't look like there's one for Orange yet, though. Sorry.

Ah so your saying if there was an RUU for the phone I could roll it back to Orange brand and its ok?

Is there anyway to get a backup of my current ROM?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones