• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Fed Up With GPS

cbrooks105

Jan 13, 2010
The GPS on my moment is heinous. It constantly re-calculates because it keeps putting me on another road close to the one I'm on. After you turn, it takes some time to load up the next segment. Sometimes the GPS just stops working or won't find my address until I reboot the phone. Please...someone tell me help is on the way!

Also, is there no way to to speak your search much like the Live Search on the Instinct?

The GPS on my moment is heinous. It constantly re-calculates because it keeps putting me on another road close to the one I'm on. After you turn, it takes some time to load up the next segment. Sometimes the GPS just stops working or won't find my address until I reboot the phone. Please...someone tell me help is on the way!

Also, is there no way to to speak your search much like the Live Search on the Instinct?
I don't know what help you are looking for with your GPS. Mine works the same way as my portable Magellan GPS does. It can take a few seconds longer to update after you make a turn. Not a problem unless you need to make a quick second turn.

Upvote 0
There's no magic trick to fix your problem that I'm aware of, poor GPS sensitivity is a common complaint here. The first Moment I received had hideous GPS performance until the GPS stopped working altogether. The replacement works much better but I've found the gps sensitivity of the Moment to be lacking when compared to previous HTC phones I've owned and my wife's Pre. It will work fine on the open road with no obstructions around but bog down when on local streets with trees and large buildings. I don't have to reboot to get it to work though. I've never used an Instinct, but there is a "speak it" function in Sprint Nav. If your phone isn't updated to cl14, doing so will greatly improve GPS performance in Google Maps, but it won't effect Sprint Nav. It's also possible that 2.1 will improve the GPS on this phone with better drivers and Google turn by turn, but we won't know until it's released or a beta tester breaks his/her NDA. If your GPS issue is real bad, you might want to take a trip to the Sprint store and see if a replacement unit works better for you. Good luck!

Reactions: cbrooks105
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones