Feedback - Purest Android App Design?

Last Updated:

1. wittzi

wittzi Member

Having switched from iOS to Android (if only I had switched earlier!) I quickly discovered that there were no decent UK Newspaper reader Apps (well, none that I could find).

Frustrated, I actually set about getting one developed and with the help of an awesome guy from Belgium (Dario Incalza) managed to get one completed and published in no time! The App allows you to view most UK newspapers and provides a high degree of customisation. Also, it allows you to read the article in the standard web view or we have implemented

funkylogik likes this.
  2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Just installed it mate. Is it wifi only?
    EDIT sorry i found the setting :)
    First impressions, i really like it. Id like a full screen mode though and ill definately pay to get rid of the ads.
    I think keeping an app really simple and unbloated is fine but the google templet for how they want an app to be should just be used as a general guide.
    Its a keeper though. Thanks :)
  3. wittzi

wittzi Member

Thanks @funkylogik, this is precisely why I really like the Android community and the platform; everyone is there to help!

Do you mean you would like full screen when reading the articles, or throughout the whole App experience? This is absolutely something that we can add and will try and do so right away.

As for the Ads, I can help there as there is a pro version (for
    funkylogik likes this.
  4. funkylogik

Just in Article view to have the option to have statusbar and toolbar hidden would be great mate :)
    I dont think theres any rules against plugging your own app and its obvious thats not your motivation ;)
    Ill definately be buying full version on Wed when theres money in the bank lol.
    Cheers :thumbup:
  5. funkylogik

Moving forward, local newspapers would be a really nice option but i understand that would take a lot of work :thumbup:
    Ability to search for a story from all the newspapers would be nice too but again, probably a hard one.
    P.s, the Search for a newspaper function doesnt work on my Galaxy s3. I tested it with "the sun"
  6. wittzi

wittzi Member

Again, great feedback! Thanks mate.

We avoided local papers because the work involved, but you're right we probably need them. Thanks for the heads up,on the bug too. We'll check that out.
    funkylogik likes this.
  7. funkylogik

No problem man. One more thing that would be great is "night mode"(white font on black background) my eyes seem to prefer it and on LED displays, it uses far less battery.
    Good luck with the app mate :)
  8. paraffin01

paraffin01 Member

This looks good, I have been using other similar apps but they essentially just bookmark the newspapers mobile website and then you browse stories on the mobile site.

The app is pretty simple but I actually like that about it as it focuses on the articles rather than anything else.

I might make the jump to the ad free version soon but I will see how it goes.

Just a couple of questions/issues:

When ads appear when reading the preview of an article the ad covers the button to launch the article

On the MSN feed you seem to have a typo "Tech and Gedget Features"

Overall great app though :)
  9. womb raider

womb raider Well-Known Member

Only had a brief look at the app as I'm at work at the moment, but it looks great! I'll definitely buy the paid version if I find I use it enough.

Will report back with any feedback once I've had a proper look.
  10. wittzi

wittzi Member

Thanks for the continued feedback guys. Sorry, I was on a brief holiday these past few days (and with Virgin charging
  11. paraffin01

paraffin01 Member

Thanks for the feedback and looking forward to any updates on the app
  12. womb raider

womb raider Well-Known Member

I like the app, I find I use it most days.

My only gripe (and it's a small one) is that once I've used the app, a new folder pops up in my gallery called 'RSS' (or something similar) with all the newspaper logos inside. I just delete the folder each time it happens, so it's not a major issue, but would be nice if there is something that can be done about it.