• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Few question about OSF / ZTE Blade

Matus

Jan 23, 2011
Hello,

I am just about to get my first smartphone. Initially I was interested in HTC Desire HD, but found in too large. Then I can across the Orange San Francisco and realized that it offers most of what I need for much less money. I realized that as it is going to be the first one for me - it could be a wise decision to spend 300 Euro less.

So - I have read a few reviews and I am aware of some of the deficiencies like camera and video and bit weaker CPU than current standard. Most relevant features seem to be there.

What I want from the phone:
- phone, calendar, internet, mails, contact, watch a video here and then, play some music

I am located in Germany - so I would be buying the phone from UK via eBay (probably), SIM unlocked of course.

My questions:

1) Are there any differences between ZTE Racer and the Orange San Francisco?

2) What are to your opinion weak points of the phone?

3) As I am not able to buy one in Gemrnay, which of the following options would you choose?
a) SIM unlocked with the Android 2.1
b) SIM unlocked and de-branded with the Android 2.1
c) SIM unlocked, de-branded, with Android 2.2

I guess that once the phone would be bought this way I do not have much of a warranty anyhow, so I could get it updated to 2.2.

4) I know that OLED display was recently replaced with TFT. I still seem to be able to find a few OLED models, but they cost some 40 - 50 euro more. Is ti worth it? All these would come SIM unlocked but with the 2.1 Android.

Can the OLED version still be bought from some UK online shops?

Yes, the Orange SF will answer all you requirements.

1. The Orange SF is covered in Orange crapware. I mean, completely soaked in it! It's easy enough to root and get rid of most of it, or you can add your own home screen (e.g. LauncherPro) and ignore the Orange stuff.

2. Audio quality isn't super-hifi, but with some good 'phones it's still very good. It can also be a little laggy, and there is a WiFi bug when resuming from sleep that you need to patch with an app from the App Store, which is slightly annoying compared to e.g. the Desire.

3. The cheapest! You can unlock if for free on a website (there's a thread on it near this one). Rooting is straightforward and there are a couple of differnt firmwares available for you to try.

4. I'd say no - the missus has the TFT and I've the AMOLED, but you only really notice the difference when they are side by side. You won't be disappointed with the TFT model.

I think most of the OLED displays had gone just before Xmas, so you'll be lucky to find one.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much!

Of course in the first question I meant 'ZTE Blade' and not 'ZTE Racer'

I am actually considering two very different scenarios:
A - get a San Francisco and beat the crap out of it - rooting/de-branding/whatever
B - get a Desire HD and use it "as it comes" (unbranded though)

Obviously - A is cheaper and more fun, B is more expensive but more performance.

If I manage to get my hands on decently priced San Francisco I will definitely get it. The prices in the Germany are crazy - the cheapest I found is 170 euro. In Swiss it is 100 CHF (!). I realized that warranty is pretty much useless as I would root in anyway. And it would be more than enough to get an idea about smartphones.

So the quest is finding a cheap San Francisco in reasonable time :) otherwise ... :eek:

EDIT: One important question about the SF:
Would you get non modified SF and do all the modifications yourself (I am NOT experienced with rooting and such) OR would you get for about the same money already rooted, de-branded and updated to 2.2 Froyo instead?

Upvote 0
EDIT: One important question about the SF:
Would you get non modified SF and do all the modifications yourself (I am NOT experienced with rooting and such) OR would you get for about the same money already rooted, de-branded and updated to 2.2 Froyo instead?

its sooo easy to flash a custom ROM (over at MoDaCo even retirees are doing it ;)) repartition and do other such things, that the latter option is a plain waste of money

Upvote 0
its sooo easy to flash a custom ROM (over at MoDaCo even retirees are doing it ;)) repartition and do other such things, that the latter option is a plain waste of money

Hi,

I bought a ZTE blade or San Francisco in Belgium and would like to upgrade the OS so it will run in English and Hebrew.

I can't figure out yet how easy it is to flash a custom rom. Where to find and who it actually do it.

I am running Linux on my computer, but could work on Windows if needed.

National issue, my kids passworded the phone and jammed it by forgeting the password. How to get around that?

Thank for your help.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I bought a ZTE blade or San Francisco in Belgium and would like to upgrade the OS so it will run in English and Hebrew.

I can't figure out yet how easy it is to flash a custom rom. Where to find and who it actually do it.

I am running Linux on my computer, but could work on Windows if needed.

National issue, my kids passworded the phone and jammed it by forgeting the password. How to get around that?

Thank for your help.
You don't need a computer at all (However to update the phone to "Gen2" [New Baseband, Partitions you need a Windows install)

ZTE Blade ROMs & ROM customisation - Android @ MoDaCo

All the important threads are stickied

I THINK that only CyanogenMod7 supports RTL languages
CM7 only works on Gen2 phones BUT there is a converter that can be patched to make it work on a Gen1 device

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones