1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Few questions about TMO coverage in my area!!

Last Updated:

1. CoMaToast

CoMaToast Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok I live in Superior WI , zip code 54880, If you guys could just take a look at the area and tell me what you think It would be greatly appreciated...

Bottom line, I got a N4 and am going prepaid, I was going to go with Net 10 or ST as AT&T towers in this area are by far superior to anything else, But noone has the micro sims for either carrier.. So I am going to try TMO for a month and if its good Ill keep it, if not, Ill hopefully have a NET10 Sim by then.. Best buy has the TMO sim, but they said they would need to cut it down for the phone?

Here is a link to the TMO maps below, Just type in: South range ( city ) Wisconsin..then just make sure its on the 3g/4g smartphone map There are alot of yellow areas that are 2G, Is this just poor coverage? and will I get ANY good speed if I am searching the net, even on Wifi?

Prepaid Cell Phone Coverage | Pay As You Go Phone Coverage | T-Mobile

Advertisement
  2. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles VIP Member

Not sure about the coverage, but you can cut a sim down to size. I have done it with an exacto knife, and just use the existing micro sim as a template.

3. CoMaToast

Yea Best Buy said they have a little tool/knife, that cuts them to fit... As far as the coverage, did you type in my city and state? Its low service, and some spots say 2g

4. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

You can order a micro-sim for free from T-Mobile if that's what you need. Or you can buy your own cutter from Amazon.

As for the coverage, it looks like your area has a lot of satisfactory areas. I don't know how good that is. Most of my area is at least rated good and works well.

CoMaToast likes this.
  5. CoMaToast

Thanks , Im just gonna have Best buy cut me one, because with my phone coming today , I am way to impatient lol

Like I said tho , If the service isn't good, Ill just get a ST or Net10 Micro sim ordered up.. I thought I would have time to order my accessories and SIM, considering Google play said 2-3 weeks.. Well Googles 2-3 weeks was literally 2-3 days!!! And I am NOT complaining :D

6. runtmms

runtmms Well-Known Member

I'd guess you'll be fine. It's at least worth trying. Wifi performance is independent of coverage.

You're going to love the Nexus 4!

7. Arrowslinger

Arrowslinger Active Member

[​IMG]

You should be okay the circle is where I live and only get the edge network, I can still surf but slow. The area you see on my map barr crossing is where I work here I get 4G all the time. You are way closer to dark green than I am so you should be good.

CoMaToast likes this.
  8. SuperAfnan

SuperAfnan Well-Known Member Contributor

Well I never get edge in Jacksonville but I tried it and it's faster than sprint 3g. :)

9. SuperAfnan

If your area is satisfactory or better you won't get edge.

10. Kamau

Kamau Well-Known Member

You would be well advised to ask someone that has service already about the coverage. Those on line coverage maps are not always accurate.

11. mundane24

mundane24 Well-Known Member

+1

it really depends on how 'real world' coverage is in your area. my t-mobile coverage map shows im within 'excellent' to 'very strong' service but when i activated my straight talk t-mobile sim, the speed couldn't go pass 300kbps. i talked to a rep and was told my sim was well provisioned at their end and they dont know of any t-mobile tower problem in my area. i then ordered straight talk at&t and so far been satisfied with the coverage and speed (6MB max, 2.5MB ave). also, when i asked around, a lot of people told me that t-mobile coverage does indeed suck in our town and that at&t is the game in my rural town. i guess if you're not in a refarmed t-mobile market then you would most definitely get EDGE speed most of the time.

btw you can get net10 at&t sims off ebay for .99 cents. the straight talk at&t ones, you'll have to pay premium. both can still be activated even though both sites aren't selling them as of the moment.

12. SuperAfnan

There are also great apps like carrier coverage and sensorly which I forgot to mention. They can also help. However, I still found tmobile coverage maps way way more accurate than the virgin mobile one. It said I had excellent WiMax coverage but in reality I had absoloutely none. At least tmobile didnt lie. :mad:

13. Arrowslinger

Arrowslinger Active Member

Another thing if you use the hotspot and you bounce over to an ATT tower which mine does sometimes the hot spot will not work.

14. CoMaToast

Ya I saw the att Sims from net10 on amazon but thought it was something different because they were so cheap lol .. I actually ordered one from best buy and it should be here in a week or so