• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Few Questions B4 Rooting.

I have been giving thought to trying out the new rooting method.

I wanted to ask a few questions before I hopped in to this.

First off when Sprint/HTC Released the OTA Update to Android 2.2 most of us ended up doing a System Restore because the OTA was making our Evo's run like butthole.

I was one of these people, I downloaded MyBackUpPro and I backed up my Apps and Contacts.

Well when I restored the Phone I transfered everything back. The problem I ended up having was not all of my Contacts got transfered back to my Phone.

I never realized it until I needed to get a hold of these people while I was out in the field/work lol!

So my first question would be how do I make sure that my current set of contacts will be saved and I will be able to fully restore them back on to the Evo?
Part 2. to this question is how do I make it so when I re-setup the phone my Facebook peepz don't get re-added to my contacts and I end up with doubles and triples of the same contacts? (That ended up happening too when I did the backup.)

Next question is about Unrevoked Forever:
I understand for the most part what the Radio's are for/do.
What I don't understand is why you would want to change them.

I would assume that new versions of these radio's are released because they are supposed to be "better" than the last version?

Does the Unrevoked Forever exploit/hack allow you to use all the radio bands? To get the best signals and what not?

I guess I do not really understand the full benefit of this. The one thing I got out of it was you would be able to change your splash/start up screens.

I think if it would be possible to add more than one Radio Band to my Phone I would like to do it because the reception at my work (The amount of bars) is very horrible, but I work on the boarder of Michigan/Canada and I have all that roaming crap turned off because Sprint Charges me an Arm and a Leg when I roam off the Canadian Towers.

It would be nice if I could some how by-pass this so I could get a decent signal and not be charge out-outrageous roaming fee's.

I am going to have to take a look at the Rom's Available for me to use/download for my phone.

But the main reasons I would like to root my phone is to get the Free Hotspot/Tethering.

If getting the better FPS on Screen and using the Camera are still a possibility I would like to do that as well.

I use the HD Recording and the Camera on the phone quite a bit.
Being able to use my Laptop while I am up-north off my phone would be just awesome as well.

I like HTC's Sense and the only other app that I would like to get is the ShootMe Screen shot application.

I would like to have all that Sprint/HTC Crap removed. Peep/Nascar/Football/etc.

If you guys know a Rom off the top of your heads I can look at that have all these features that would be great as well..

I have to do some more reading today I just got out of work so I plan on reading up on most all this tonight and possibly attempting it tomorrow or later tonight. So I may post back with more questions.

In the meantime I appreciate all the help!

Thank you guys!

holy shit. thats alot.

do you have a GMAIL account. Gmail will save all your contacts from your phone.

dont sync facebook.

unrevoked answer..... to get better signals n shit. plus its the latest and greatest available.

and yes what ever bands you want.

Roms:
CM6
Fresh
Bakedsnack
ect all either dont have the Sprint bloatware uninstalled and or the apk's are stored into your sd just incase you want one and not all running.

I for one am running Fresh w/ netarchy-toast FPS fix and im loving it.

Reactions: Psywar
Upvote 0
lol sorry for the long post!

Yeah I do have gmail. Ill see if I can make sure my contacts get saved to gmail. I guess if all else fails I do know which contacts did not save last time and I can just re-add them manually again.

I was looking at Fresh Rom. I could not find in full detail what all he has in it. But so far that one looks like the one I am after.

Upvote 0
Bookmark this -

Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

Now - you can get whatever tether rev works for whatever custom kernel. I use stock rooted rom and got best results with netarchy's 3.7.7 kernel and the pre6 - many, many combos work.

And it's what the name implies - your phone becomes a wifi hotpot - you give it an ssid and password and your laptop connects to it as it would any wireless router.

Upvote 0
Next question is about Unrevoked Forever:
I understand for the most part what the Radio's are for/do.
What I don't understand is why you would want to change them.

Bookmark this -

HTC Supersonic/ROMs - XDA-Developers

Once you're rooted, you're no longer tied at the hip to Sprint (duh, I know, but bear with me) - so - the devs can't give the exact bitstream for any given update, the way Sprint does.

Sprint sends out whatever bits and bytes over the air and at those times, various components end up with higher revisions - they don't send entire roms for example - just bits of things.

And they give various components various revision number updates.

When that happens, the your friendly neighborhood XDA devs - with their radioactive superpowers - just give you the whole final package - or PACKAGES - that result from those updates.

And then, as that linked page shows - shows you what associates with what.

Sprint knows what in what rom versions matches what radio version. So do the devs, basically.

We don't have to - just update in lockstep with their instructions, don't experiment, and all will be good.

Reactions: Psywar
Upvote 0
RE: contacts

something everyone should do from time to time is export their gmail contacts so they are safe.

*Select Contacts
*Click the 'More Actions' dropdown bar and select export
*Select the preferred format (which means the google csv format or the outlook/vcard format for your preference)
*It will download to your PC as 'google.csv', you can open it in excel if you wish. Throw it in your backup drive or directory or phone's SD card for safekeeping
*Optional: rename it with a date so you know when this backup was made, I use a date format like 082810Contacts.csv

This gives peace of mind to you since android has tight google integration, should something ever eff up in the cloud, you can simply import this file to gmail and get the contacts that were there at the time you backed it up. I do this probably every couple of months, since for me I don't add very many contacts in that time (but im a boring guy :D )

i should add this to my sticky

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones