Few Questions on HTC Hero by Sprint

Last Updated:

1. ajrichardson79

ajrichardson79 New Member This Topic's Starter

I just got my HTC Hero by Sprint on Friday night and have a few questions. I have tried looking for related threads but didn't find any. There were too many pages of threads to look through them all though.

1.) The booklet talks about being able to sync my contacts and calendar with Outlook, but I haven't been able to find out how. It doesn't explain it, so how do you sync to Outlook?

2.) I also haven't been able to figure out how to close programs. I am thinking that is why the battery tends to drain. My old phone was the HTC Mogul and you could close programs easily. Anyone know how to close them?

Please let me know. Thanks.
    Andrea (a new user)

Advertisement
  2. esoteric1311

esoteric1311 Member

back button to close out.

3. ajrichardson79

ajrichardson79 New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, but I have used the back button. The programs are still open.

4. 702DROID

702DROID Well-Known Member

unless you use a task killer they will remain in the background idel (some apps do some do have a close button) this is normal i myself do not use any task killer and im getting at least 15 hours outta each charge with normal usage 10 to 12 with market browsing and surfing the interwebs

5. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

your battery is likely draining due to the stock messaging app not letting the phone sleep. try chomp sms or handcent instead, and disable the auto-retrieve on the stock one. increased my battery life by a LOT. Also, turning off wireless when you're not using it will greatly increase your battery life as well.

6. doublebullout

doublebullout Well-Known Member

There are several threads about task killers already, so you can dig deeper if you want more technical details. But the basic point is that Android manages memory resources on its own and will close apps when it needs to free up memory to do something else. The conventional wisdom is that you need a task killer app. I haven't found that to be the case; Android seems to do just fine without my interference. Properly designed apps will allow the phone to go to sleep, so leaving them running is not usually a problem. The only real battery killer identified so far is the stock messaging app. Replace with handcent or chompSMS (my favorite) as indicated elsewhere until HTC/Sprint releases an update to fix it.

7. wcolon7

wcolon7 Member

How do you disable the auto-retrieve on the stock one. I am using handcent so I do not want enable the stock messaging ap. by opening it and checking out settings. I already have handcent as default.

8. ElAguila

ElAguila Well-Known Member

Download the latest htcsync if you want to sync it with outlook.

9. jdawg0024

jdawg0024 Well-Known Member

If you still have the Stock 2GB card that came with the phone, hook the phone up to your computer and turn on USB on the phone, on the card there should be a folder called HTC Sync, inside is a program for your computer to sync contacts install that (Should be version 2.0.5).

10. nick325i

nick325i Well-Known Member

You have to set up the "Mail" application to sync with your exchange server. If you do not work for a company that has an exchange server, you can sync with your outlook on desktop with HTCSync as mentioned above for your desktop.

You do not need a task killer. Basically when you hit back or switch to a new app, the app you had open enters a pause state. Again as stated above your battery killer is probably the default SMS messaging app.

Download Handcent and turn off your old messaging notifications and reboot.

I have got my battery life to over 24 hours between charges with medium-heavy usage without losing any real functions of the phones intent.