Few questions

Last Updated:

1. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone, I had a few questions before purchasing this phone. I'm currently able to upgrade and it all comes down to the captivate and the iPhone 4. I just want something new and fresh and the iPhone has pretty much been the same for the past 4 years. Anyway, I hope people can help me out cause tomorrow is payday and I have money to spend on a new mobile device (AT&T). So here's my questions:

- is it user friendly? Storing music & syncing contacts.
    - GPS. Not a big concern as long as it gives me step by step direction. Not vioce but can just give me turn directions.
    - how are the app selection?
    - downloadable widgets and movable backgrounds(like the driod x background).
    - support from samsung and AT&T. Really important to me cause I don't wanna buy the phone and be left to hang & dry.

That's pretty much it. Just tired of apple and the same interface. Also. What's all this rooted and unrooted. Thanks everyone. If I have other concerns I'll be sure to post them. Really looking foward to joining the darkside. Hopefully tomorrow!!!!

Advertisement
  2. Ductapemaster

Ductapemaster Member

While I can't comment on all your questions, I will answer the ones I can.

First some background:

I've had my captivate for two weeks now and I am totally in love. I owned an iPhone 2G, but I broke the screen twice (cost $180 to replace -myself- the first time, and gave up on the second), owned a Blackberry Bold 9000 after that, and recently gave that to my dad to get the Captivate. I can attest that it is considerably better in all respects (at least to me!) than either of those phones.

The phone itself is extremely fast in comparison to any of the other Android phones I have used, as well as the new iPhone. Plus, every time I use one of my friend's iPhones, I feel like I'm handling fine china. I'm always so worried I'm going to break the thing, but with this phone, it seems very sturdy. Also, the screen is gorgeous (colors are -awesome- on OLED!), even though it doesn't quite live up to the iPhone display in pixel density.

Now, for the questions:

As far as user friendly-ness, I find android to be exceptional. I love to tinker with my technology, and this is just the phone for that. However, for the casual user, Android is quite intuitive and much less 'locked down' than iOS is. As far as music synching, there are apps on the market that come with an on-phone plus PC app (like doubleTwist, which I recommend). Contacts are synchable with Google and Facebook as well as a couple others out of the box, and you can get apps for Outlook synching if you use that.

As far as the GPS goes, I personally have had no issues with mine. It locks up very quickly, even from a cold start. And if you download Google's Navigation app, you get an awesome turn by turn direction app, complete with voice prompts. I have to say its better than both the in-car and 3rd party GPSes I have used in the past.

The Android app market is awesome as well. There's TONS of apps out there, more than you will be able to sort through in the time you own your phone. Lots of apps that are available for the iPhone are available as either a port or a similarly functional app on Android. Either that, or their development is being planned.

Downloadable widgets and live backgrounds are part of the Android system, so any (well, almost any) Android phones will support them. They work great on this phone.

As far as support I can't comment, simply because I haven't had an issue yet. I'm sure someone else on here can comment on that though.

Hope that helps. The Captivate is truly worth the money in my opinion.

-Dan

BigCiX likes this.
  3. BigCiX

Thats good stuff t know. I'll be at the At&t store just as soon as my wife's yard sale is done with. I'll get some hands on and make up my decision that day. Another question. Are pictures saved by holding the picture just like the iphone?

4. Ductapemaster

Ductapemaster Member

I'm assuming that you are talking about when you are browsing the internet. If that's the case, then the answer is yes if you use the Opera Mini browser. I just tested it out and it gives you the option to open the image or save it if you hold down your finger on a picture.

In an MMS (using the default messaging app) you can do the same thing. It's built in Android functionality.

Also, if you are for sure getting the Captivate, check this out:

Samsung Captivate (AT&T) | LetsTalk.com

I got mine for $99 plus tax (about $141 with free overnight shipping). From what I have heard, you can print that page out and take it to the store with you and they will price match. Much more appealing than the iPhone price!!

Enjoy your new phone, whatever you choose!

-Dan

5. Sharkonwheels

Sharkonwheels Well-Known Member

I tried to get a pricematch, and the AT&T Corp Store manager said they don't price match letstalk/wirefly.

However, YMMV - seems it's down to per-store, what you can actually get.
    I got my Cappy for $349+tax non-contract, and most others are saying they're $499.

T

6. artvandalay22222

artvandalay22222 Well-Known Member

On the support side of things, it seems even if samsung/att don't support it the community will. There seem s to be thousands of people working on root and roms and apps and ways to get just about anything you want. At t had locked out some apps from being installed but there are so many ways around out you'll quickly forget.
    Now that being said I will say this: android is more for someone who like to tinker and figure things out.not everything is apparent when you first start out. Iphone is easier to use out of box.but I think over all there s just more options on android.

7. BigCiX

im all about figuring things out. My 3G was jailbroken after 2 months of plan boringness. I just got tired of the same phone year after year. I stopped messing with it and as of this day im still using 3.0 firmware jailbroken.

8. BigCiX

I wonder if walmart will match those prices