Few quick questions

Last Updated:

1. jshoe22

jshoe22 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was looking at the Captivate. Seemed like a good phone. I have a few quick questions first.

• Is there any simple way to Sync it with my Outlook contacts and calendar?
    • Also, can I connect it to my PC and tranfers photos and music directly or do I need to use special programs?
    • If I want to transfer PDF's or Office Documents can I do that as a drag and drop?
    Thanks

Advertisement
  2. LukeOlson

LukeOlson Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, and yes.

When you get your phone, just open up the Email app (not Gmail) and set up your Outlook account (you'll need to know all of your account settings, like domain, user name, password, etc.) and there are two check-boxes: "Sync contacts" and "Sync calendar."

When you plug in your phone to your computer, it's just like you've plugged in a USB drive. You can drag and drop any types of files you want back and forth. You can put your music/photos anywhere on your phone, and the media scanner will automatically find them so they show up in the music player and gallery apps.

I love my Captivate and greatly recommend that you get one! :)

3. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

All your questions (and more) are answered in-depth on the Captivate FAQ.

FAQ - CapFAQ

4. jshoe22

Thanks Luke. Sremick,Actaully they are not answered there as Kies is NOT supported in the USA.

Luke or anyone,

I just want to sync my Outlook calendar and contacts how is that possible for free? Where exactly are those check boxes, and will it sync via USB only? ( the reason I ask this is because I do NOT use Exchange just a desktop verison of Outlook) Alls I can find is this but it costs $50. Sync Android with Outlook - Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes -- CompanionLink Software

5. LukeOlson

Yes, it's free. There will be an app pre-installed on the phone: Email. Open it, and it will help you set up your account. You don't need to use that application that costs money.

6. jshoe22

Luke,

Just to be sure. You have done this and it adds it to the phones contacts and calendars without an Exchange Server?

Thanks

7. LukeOlson

At my current job, there is an exchange server. It syncs my calendar and contacts.

I don't know how it works when there is no exchange server involved.

8. jshoe22

Luke,

Did you have to mount the drives first?