Few Rooted Questions Need Help! (Rom/Overclock)

Last Updated:

1. dfine06

dfine06 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so i have root finally but i have a bunch of problems it seems and i really need some help.

1st:
    I have smoked glass 4.0 installed and it seems to be super buggy and forces close on me many times in the day. I want to installl 4.5 but it wasnt working for me last night.
    My question is should i reboot from my stock nandroid backup.
    -Delete the old file.
    -install the new smoked glass?
    -is it less buggy?
    -i love the 2.1 one look is there another ROM that has that?

2nd:
    -Im overclocked and my setcpu say 950 but it seems to be running pretty slow and the temp isnt hot which makes me belive it may not be running at that?
    -Does it have to do with the theme?
    -How can i tell if im truly overclocked?

Thanks!!!!!

Advertisement
  2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I would recommend trying a different version of the ROM or restoring an old Nandroid backup to see if that works. If not, try a different ROM. Droidmod and Bugless Beast are both great alternatives.

The theme shouldn't have anything to do with it. It could be the kernel. Trying other kernels and other speeds will allow you to determine by trial and error what setup works best for your phone; since they're all different, I can't tell you what would be best. If you look up at the top of SetCPU, it shows your current speed.

3. dfine06

where can you get the droidmod rom. also, what is the difference between a kernal and a rom? any have any experience with smoked 4.5. i really like the look or 4.0 with the whole 2.1 theme style.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

4. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

The kernel lets the hardware and the software communicate. It is separate from a ROM, which is a collection of apps, fixes and updates to the file system or general OS itself. Most ROMs will work with multiple kernels as long as they are based on the same version. There are lots of kernels out right now - steve's, chevy's, droidrom's, and I think taz's are still floating around. They offer different optimizations and different overclocking options. You can try multiple kernels and see which one works best for you. The Droidmod kernel is performing best for me personally right now, but as I said, every phone will react differently.

Droidmod.org has the Droidmod ROM. Alldroid has Pete's ROM as well as AdamZ's Smoked Glass ROMs if you want to stick with them. If you need specific help with his ROM you may want to ask a question in his personal forum. Unfortunately I have not used the Smoked Glass ROM myself.

5. dfine06

Another Question:

-How do install a new rom.
    Do i have to reboot into my nandroid backup then delete the previous rom and install a new one.
    -or can i have as many roms as i want and when i reboot it will give me the option to choose?

Also... does each rom come with a limit to their overclock?
    Like for instance i have smoked glass 4.0 and in set cpu i can only go up to 950.
    And ive seen with 4.5 up to 1.2ghz.
    Is this correct?

6. taz55

taz55 Well-Known Member

i am using 4.5 at 950 i love it

7. DroidSuks

DroidSuks Well-Known Member

You should really read a little more before you start hacking your phone. This forum has a wealth of expierience and great posts by very knowlegable people.... I would spend a minimum of a week just reading before jumping in. You'll find it will save you a ton of headachs in the long run. Trust me :eek:

Read the first two stickies... for starters.
    http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/