• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Few settings / general Droid questions

kit600ana

Lurker
Mar 7, 2010
I have looked and looked and i am not able to find these answers by going through the menus on the droid

- Am I able to select where i want images sounds etc saved? i want to save everything by default to my SD but it appears it is being saved directly to the phone and no way to select this on my own.

- I had sent myself my ringtones and sounds from phonezoon back to my droid; i got a web site link this time and DLed them that way. They are all saved as .mp3 . They show up in my music and i want them to strictly show up in my ringtones. as of now they do not even show up in my ringtones and i am not sure how to get them to be listed. do they have to be a different file format?

- Can i delete somehow the pre-loaded ringtones from the list that i will never ever use and get them completely off my phone?

- really... i cant calibrate my touch screen???? even when i bought the screen protectors it said re-calibrate... and there is not an option.

Thanks in advance :)

In case no one has said this, "Hi! Welcome to the forums!"

1) You're saving to the SDCard by default - the SDCard is being used as an extension of the OS on the phone, so it looks like it is to the phone - but trust me, the media is on the SDCard.

2) Attachments via GMail are being a PITA. you *should* be able to save them from GMail to your SDCard, but actually doing so is a whole different ballgame....

3) Deleting the pre-loaded ringtones requires, IIRC, having a rooted phone. There may be other ways, but I think that those are actually loaded into the phone's system folders, and ripping them out is not something that is easily done without root. I hope someone with more knowledge on this can chime in.

To help with ringtones, though, I highly recommend both Rings Extended and RingDroid. Both of those apps are a must install on every ROM I swap out on my DROID.

4) Ha, yeah, i is one of those vexing, annoying things - that calibrate before using is a message for other phones, but there is no real calibration for the DROID. There are, IIRC, third part apps that allow for calibration, and I think that the next update that we get may have one finally built into it, although all I have seen thus far is just a Keyboard calibration, not a full screen calibration....

Upvote 0
In case no one has said this, "Hi! Welcome to the forums!"

1) You're saving to the SDCard by default - the SDCard is being used as an extension of the OS on the phone, so it looks like it is to the phone - but trust me, the media is on the SDCard.

2) Attachments via GMail are being a PITA. you *should* be able to save them from GMail to your SDCard, but actually doing so is a whole different ballgame....

3) Deleting the pre-loaded ringtones requires, IIRC, having a rooted phone. There may be other ways, but I think that those are actually loaded into the phone's system folders, and ripping them out is not something that is easily done without root. I hope someone with more knowledge on this can chime in.

To help with ringtones, though, I highly recommend both Rings Extended and RingDroid. Both of those apps are a must install on every ROM I swap out on my DROID.

4) Ha, yeah, i is one of those vexing, annoying things - that calibrate before using is a message for other phones, but there is no real calibration for the DROID. There are, IIRC, third part apps that allow for calibration, and I think that the next update that we get may have one finally built into it, although all I have seen thus far is just a Keyboard calibration, not a full screen calibration....

Thank you :) glad to be here.

All the info was great! Are you able to post a few links to good sources of info to read up on what exactly IIRC and a rooted phone is. i have been going around the forums and seen this, but really have no idea yet what it is all about.

I will def check out those ringtone apps. thanks again.

Upvote 0
Thank you :) glad to be here.

All the info was great! Are you able to post a few links to good sources of info to read up on what exactly IIRC and a rooted phone is. i have been going around the forums and seen this, but really have no idea yet what it is all about.

I will def check out those ringtone apps. thanks again.

I tried sending a couple attachments from gmail to my phone today.... No dice.

Any luck on this yet?

Upvote 0
I found an app called "Blackmoon AttachSave" that mostly works for saving attachments, but it's a fairly kludgy hack—it can't always even detect the name of the attachment. There's a Lite version available if you want to try it; I really wish this were built into the standard email clients, though!

Edit: LOVE your avatar! Let's go Pens!

Upvote 0
- Am I able to select where i want images sounds etc saved? i want to save everything by default to my SD but it appears it is being saved directly to the phone and no way to select this on my own.
Stuff you browse/download through the stock browser goes directly to sdcard/downloads.. so it's already going to sdcard by default. I believe all apps save all downloads to the sdcard by default, it's just a matter of what folder.

- I had sent myself my ringtones and sounds from phonezoon back to my droid; i got a web site link this time and DLed them that way. They are all saved as .mp3 . They show up in my music and i want them to strictly show up in my ringtones. as of now they do not even show up in my ringtones and i am not sure how to get them to be listed. do they have to be a different file format?
The best way to sort your ringtones is this.
On the sdcard create a folder named Media, then inside that create an Audio folder. Then inside Audio, create 1 each for Alarms, Notifications, Ringtones. Then using those folders, drop in the associated sound files you want. This method will allow the phone to see the ringtones for each function and be able to keep them seperated.. ie: Not seeing notification tones under phone ringtones settings.

Then I usually add another folder inside Audio for my music MP3s just to keep everything neat. And under Media I'll add a Wallpapers folder, again solely for neatness.

Upvote 0
Stuff you browse/download through the stock browser goes directly to sdcard/downloads.. so it's already going to sdcard by default. I believe all apps save all downloads to the sdcard by default, it's just a matter of what folder.

The best way to sort your ringtones is this.
On the sdcard create a folder named Media, then inside that create an Audio folder. Then inside Audio, create 1 each for Alarms, Notifications, Ringtones. Then using those folders, drop in the associated sound files you want. This method will allow the phone to see the ringtones for each function and be able to keep them seperated.. ie: Not seeing notification tones under phone ringtones settings.

Then I usually add another folder inside Audio for my music MP3s just to keep everything neat. And under Media I'll add a Wallpapers folder, again solely for neatness.

I do not have my tether with me right now, but this info is alot of help. When i keep everything separated like this, if i go into change a notification sound wil it only look by default into that sub folder now called "notifications"?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones