• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root FF27(Boost)FG11(Sprint) Baseband Manual Update

EDIT:

Updating to FF27 baseband with Terminal Emulator, no pc method.

I am posting this as how I did this for my self. I take no Responsibility for damages to your phone if you follow this method.
Terminal Emulator is a stable safe app you can get from the app store. It does have the potential to make changes in your phone that can damage your hardware. USER ERROR WARNING. Use at your own risk.

Thanks to mavrikmeercat for posting instructions for how to do this with terminal emulator here http://androidforums.com/4510039-post42.html

Thanks to Psycho4us4 for providing me with the baseband file.

basebandFF27.img
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/95904711/basebandFF27.zip

Instructions.
Download and unzip the above file and place it in /sdcard on your phone. Unzipped file name is basebandFF27.img. MD5 for the zip
E7211BB2F7D6D5C4BBAD5ED644538AF7

Open Terminal Emulator on your phone(disconnect from pc first) and type in the following Blue text exactly.

$ su (press enter)

# dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 of=/sdcard/baseband.bak (press enter) Creates a back up of the pld baseband file and puts it on your sdcard as baseband.bak. It will take a second for the command to process. A few lines of text will pop up. It tells you what was moved where to and its size. After this.

# dd if=/sdcard/basebandFF27.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 (press enter) wait for it to run and text will pop up as before.

#reboot (press enter)

That's it. When it reboots you will be updated to the FF27 baseband.

All I did here was get the baseband file (/dev/block/mmcblk0p6) from FF27 update by having Psycho4us4 copy it from his phone, renamed the file, zip it and post it.

DEV's feel free to use this file no credit needed since I really didn't do much.

edit: Who wants to be a beta tester

Upvote 0
Why don't you guys do what i said on this page http://androidforums.com/transform-...597445-boost-updating-ff27-ff27-baseband.html it's quick and easy. After you can flash any rom and the baseband will stay the same.

I tried this method multiple times, My phone is ODD i still have EG29 Baseband, I went thru the OTA like you suggested, went thru the other steps, and still only upgraded to FC29 build, and remained with EG29 baseband...not sure Why im the only one stuck with 3g29....But I believe the guy i responded to has a stock version with no root of the new baseband, so all he would have to do is perform a cwm install and do a backup, it would save alot of us soooooo much time

Upvote 0
I tried this method multiple times, My phone is ODD i still have EG29 Baseband, I went thru the OTA like you suggested, went thru the other steps, and still only upgraded to FC29 build, and remained with EG29 baseband...not sure Why im the only one stuck with 3g29....But I believe the guy i responded to has a stock version with no root of the new baseband, so all he would have to do is perform a cwm install and do a backup, it would save alot of us soooooo much time

You didn't do exactly what i said thats why your baseband didn't update. It seems you too lazy to read all the corresponding posts for mavs NEW CWM, lootas no root no cwm rom, and badsectors tu_root. Thats all you need. Follow the steps and it will work man. It's not the phone it's the owner. LOL. If you want it that bad you will do your research and flash, and odin everything you need. Once again it will work just use the link i posted 2 posts ago as reference. Don't be scared it will work if done properly. NO OFFENCE . You need to do 2 OTAs though. Let it update to fc29. Then let it update to ff27. Then proceed with cwm, root, and the rest.

To force the second OTA

Go to system update in settings and chose Samsung software. It should trigger another update. To ff27. Let me know. If it works please THANK everyone who helped.

Reactions: ibrickphones
Upvote 0
All I need is a copy of the baseband file. EG29 it was

/dev/block/mmcblk0p6

If what I am assuming is true the updates are just over writing the files and it should be named the same thing on ff27.

These other ways are to much work when you can swap the files with terminal emulator faster than I wrote this post.

FC29 baseband broke my hotspot. Had troublle with other android devices being able to conect via foxfi. I got faster speeds but pointless when you can't make use of it.
Katracho has promised us an update and my guess is it will be built on FF27 update so would like to be up to date.

Upvote 0
All I need is a copy of the baseband file. EG29 it was

/dev/block/mmcblk0p6

If what I am assuming is true the updates are just over writing the files and it should be named the same thing on ff27.

These other ways are to much work when you can swap the files with terminal emulator faster than I wrote this post.

FG29 baseband broke my hotspot. Had troublle with other android devices being able to conect via foxfi. I got faster speeds but pointless when you can't make use of it.
Katracho has promised us an update and my guess is it will be built on FF27 update so would like to be up to date.

I think this is what you are looking for http://db.tt/xl4wLhSR
Please thank.. this link wont be available forever so take advantage while its up. I will delete from dropbox in a few days. Hope it helps.

Reactions: katracho and PH8AL
Upvote 0
You didn't do exactly what i said thats why your baseband didn't update. It seems you too lazy to read all the corresponding posts for mavs NEW CWM, lootas no root no cwm rom, and badsectors tu_root. Thats all you need. Follow the steps and it will work man. It's not the phone it's the owner. LOL. If you want it that bad you will do your research and flash, and odin everything you need. Once again it will work just use the link i posted 2 posts ago as reference. Don't be scared it will work if done properly. NO OFFENCE . You need to do 2 OTAs though. Let it update to fc29. Then let it update to ff27. Then proceed with cwm, root, and the rest.

To force the second OTA

Go to system update in settings and chose Samsung software. It should trigger another update. To ff27. Let me know. If it works please THANK everyone who helped.

Im very familiar with badsector and lootas programming they've helped me successfully unbrick one of my Multiple transform devices. As I said previous I followed all your steps...didn't get a 2nd OTA gonna try forcing it now keep you updated but ill try reflashing...thanks for your help! it would be a lot less time consuming if someone just made a back up rom of all the new updates! but hey your procedure seems to work so thank you

Upvote 0
Ok it worked awesomely.

I changed the name of your file to basebandFF27.img and used Mavs instructions from the FC29 thread and just subbed the new file and name.

Baseband is FF27 and I am not having any of the issues I had with FC29. I'm watching hulu plus on the wii via foxfi. I logged onto my neighbors router and surfed for a few minutes. I have also been able to conect 3 android devices with foxfi.
If Mav doesn't mind I"ll paste his instructions in here with a correction.

If you don't want to keep the link up I can rename it and put a link up for it.

And for folks in general
IF YOU TRY WHAT I DID I AM NOT RESPONSiBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR PHONE. TERMINAL EMULATOR HAS THE POTENTIAL TO DESTROY YOUR PHONE

Reactions: katracho
Upvote 0
Ok it worked awesomely.

I changed the name of your file to basebandFF27.img and used Mavs instructions from the FC29 thread and just subbed the new file and name.

Baseband is FF27 and I am not having any of the issues I had with FC29. I'm watching hulu plus on the wii via foxfi. I logged onto my neighbors router and surfed for a few minutes. I have also been able to conect 3 android devices with foxfi.
If Mav doesn't mind I"ll paste his instructions in here with a correction.

If you don't want to keep the link up I can rename it and put a link up for it.

And for folks in general
IF YOU TRY WHAT I DID I AM NOT RESPONSiBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR PHONE. TERMINAL EMULATOR HAS THE POTENTIAL TO DESTROY YOUR PHONE
Cool start a thread with all the details. You have the file now so i will delete it from dropbox

Reactions: PH8AL
Upvote 0
Thanks for the hard work guys.. fyi, making a cwm backup of your rom does NOT include the baseband changes otherwise any rom made with the update would include it. Someone asked me for a copy of the baseband and I apologize to them for not being able to get it but tbh... I didn't know where it was to adb pull it and I've been too busy to learn it this past week ;)

Reactions: Zintus
Upvote 0
Thanks for the hard work guys.. fyi, making a cwm backup of your rom does NOT include the baseband changes otherwise any rom made with the update would include it. Someone asked me for a copy of the baseband and I apologize to them for not being able to get it but tbh... I didn't know where it was to adb pull it and I've been too busy to learn it this past week ;)

Loota that was me who asked u for the updated baseband, i should've linked u to the post for doing basebands... my bad lol... but either way, I'm downloading it as i type this... albeit rather slowly i too am on the same boat as you my friend, no internet cept my phone... Apology accepted lol

Reactions: Loota
Upvote 0
This worked perfectly! Thanks PH8AL

EDIT:

Updating to FF27 baseband with Terminal Emulator, no pc method.

I am posting this as how I did this for my self. I take no Responsibility for damages to your phone if you follow this method.
Terminal Emulator is a stable safe app you can get from the app store. It does have the potential to make changes in your phone that can damage your hardware. USER ERROR WARNING. Use at your own risk.

Thanks to mavrikmeercat for posting instructions for how to do this with terminal emulator here http://androidforums.com/4510039-post42.html

Thanks to Psycho4us4 for providing me with the baseband file.

basebandFF27.img
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/95904711/basebandFF27.zip

Instructions.
Download and unzip the above file and place it in /sdcard on your phone. Unzipped file name is basebandFF27.img. MD5 for the zip
E7211BB2F7D6D5C4BBAD5ED644538AF7

Open Terminal Emulator on your phone(disconnect from pc first) and type in the following Blue text exactly.

$ su (press enter)

# dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 of=/sdcard/baseband.bak (press enter) Creates a back up of the pld baseband file and puts it on your sdcard as baseband.bak. It will take a second for the command to process. A few lines of text will pop up. It tells you what was moved where to and its size. After this.

# dd if=/sdcard/basebandFF27.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 (press enter) wait for it to run and text will pop up as before.

#reboot (press enter)

That's it. When it reboots you will be updated to the FF27 baseband.

All I did here was get the baseband file (/dev/block/mmcblk0p6) from FF27 update by having Psycho4us4 copy it from his phone, renamed the file, zip it and post it.

Upvote 0
Ok just wanted to say THANK YOU! :D:D:D I was able to finally download this at home... I was getting extremely, extremely painful speeds of, if I was lucky, 300 kbps !! Are you kidding me? !! Now with the baseband updated I was able to pull 1MB + at home.. MAJOR improvement! Awesome work pulling this with the Terminal Emulator. I think maybe we could start a thread just for baseband backups and have all three in one place.. Just so people can experiment? I am learning so much, just by lurking here on the forums.. Thank you guys for taking the time to do this basically for free... Unless people donate.. Which I am going to do... Soon...

Upvote 0
Ok just wanted to say THANK YOU! :D:D:D I was able to finally download this at home... I was getting extremely, extremely painful speeds of, if I was lucky, 300 kbps !! Are you kidding me? !! Now with the baseband updated I was able to pull 1MB + at home.. MAJOR improvement! Awesome work pulling this with the Terminal Emulator. I think maybe we could start a thread just for baseband backups and have all three in one place.. Just so people can experiment? I am learning so much, just by lurking here on the forums.. Thank you guys for taking the time to do this basically for free... Unless people donate.. Which I am going to do... Soon...

Glad it helped.

I have sent a message to BluFeNiX about adding this to his baseband thread so folks can find it there and use it with the odin instructions. I posted propper instructions here because there were people following the thread as we worked it out and already a few threads with FF27 in the name. Didn't want to add to the confussion.

There are a couple of ways of doing this. I like terminal emulator because its all done on the phone and is pretty quick and easy if you follow the instructions. This method is risky because as Mav pointed out in the new CMW thread a mistake doing this can be very bad for your phone.

I don't recomend experimenting the way I did. I had a good feeling I was right about the files but it was still playing chicken with the train.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones