• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ffline sat nav for HTC

DavidEvans

Lurker
Mar 3, 2012
Hi there,

I travel a lot in Europe, and I wondered if anyone is able to recommend a sat nav application that won't end up costing me a fortune in data roaming charges? So far I've tried Sygic and NavFree, but it seems like both need to connect to the net to show my location accurately (or provide me with routing).

The question is, is it possible to get a decent satnav that's reliable and will lock onto a signal quickly and provide me with directions? I'm happy to pay something for the app but want to avoid charges abroad.

I have an HTC Desire S. Thanks in advance!

David

I use Navigon and CoPilot on my HTC phones and both apps don't need a data connection for navigation.

As I know, Sygic also doesn't need a data connection. The GPS lock just will be faster with a data connection (aGPS feature).

EDIT: The trial version of Navigon had needed a data connection. So may the trial version of Sygic needs it too.

Harry

Upvote 0
My favorite is Navigon :) (now a Garmin company).

For GPS lock the amount of data for aGPS is small.
But nav apps also needs data for traffic info services.

Navigon has a setting for not using data connection at all.
I have this checked in Navigon's settings but generally I let the phone use data connections.
So I can use aGPS for fast GPS locks but don't let Navion use data.

With CoPilot I'm also able to uncheck traffic info service.
I think, Sygic can do this too.

EDIT: To GPS lock issue:
For testing I use 'GPSTest' (Mike Lockwood) with data connection. I think, this app has a "training" effect for the phone's GPS ability :)

Harry

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones